Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Transport bike on plane to Geneva.
  • pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Can anyone advise on the best way to get my bike on Easyjet to
    Morzine. I take it my options are: box from bike shop. Buying a Soft shell bike bag.
    Hiring a hard shell bike case. What are people’s experience’s recently?
    Advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!
    Cheers

sharkattack

Box from bike shop every time. I’ve had the big, expensive bags and sacked them off.

Cardboard and a mountain of bubble wrap is all you need.

coogan
    Free Member

Bike bag for me. Card boxes scare me after seeing half a bike hanging out of one in Vancouver airport.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Soft bike bag but with a LOT of pipe lagging/bubble wrap inside it. Never done Easyjet but BA from Heathrow to Geneva was a painless experience…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Since they changed their Bike carrying rules from 32Kg to 23Kg, I’d say a light cardboard box with bubble wrap.

My DHB padded bag weighs 8KG empty! I’m betting a cardoard box from Halfords is 2G max.

My DHB bag is for sale by the way. tatty but ok, yours for £20 collected.

Northwind

I use a reasonably nice soft bag, with a cardboard bike box inside it- best of both worlds, gives you the handles and the wheels of the bag, and the protectiveness and nonfloppyness of the box.

But it’s all weight… I’ve a feeling next time, I’ll just be using a cardboard box. Certainly if I knew then what I know now I’d not have bought a bag, I’d just be using a box out of Halfords’ bin. (the apollo boxes are really good!)

kimbers

boxes are Ok until it rains, luggage can be left on the tarmmac for a while!

Northwind

True that- bags get wet too, though I’d laminate a box with a mighty layer of packing tape, that seems effective.

pedrodelgado
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Cardboard box it is..

nikk
    Free Member

Do the wheels go inside the cardboard box as well? Anyone got any pics?

rickmeister

Everything in the box… and cardboard is indeed fine until it rains.
    I know this after watching the box in the trailer dissolve on a rainy Chamonix – Geneva transfer… I use a bike crate now… better protection and size than a floppy soft bag I reckon. Its not failed me yet.

http://www.zoogz.co.uk/

Onzadog
    Free Member

Re the weight issue, easyjet are currently reviewing thechange to 23kg due to the pressure of social media. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Transport bike on plane to Geneva.’ is closed to new replies.