Home Forums Bike Forum Transition Spur alternative

• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by SirHC.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Transition Spur alternative
  • mjsmke

Would really like a Spur in X01 spec but nothing available. From what I’ve been told, there are none coming into the UK next year either.

What else is similar?

11kg or less.
    120mm travel.
    Size small.
    Full sus.
    No parts like a lefty fork or brain shock that need to be sent off to specific places.
    In stock. Or available in spring.

pigyn
    Free Member

I think anything high end like X01 is likely to be AXS going forward, why not just take a Spur GX or frame and upgrade/custom build? There is good GX stock arriving in the new year

d42dom

YT Izzo, know nothing about it other than it looks similar. Take a look at the Pinkbike downcountry bike field test, all 120mm ish bikes on there

honourablegeorge

YT have just announced a bunch of price cuts, there’s 5-600 Euro off some Izzo models. Pretty direct Spur alternative

mjsmke

I do like the YT Izzo, but the yellow is a bit bright.

The GX spec Spur has lower spec forks and shock too. If it was just the gears I’d be tempted to go for it and upgrade/sell the GX stuff new.

honourablegeorge

Izzo comes in black too, and I think green

mjsmke

IZZO uncaged is yellow only. I wish it was black. I’d order one this weekend if it was.

honourablegeorge
    onewheelgood

All a bit academic as there don’t seem to be any Izzos in small as per the OPs request

solamanda
    Free Member

I was looking at the transition spur for an xc bike in the summer but instead built up a stumpjumper s works frame with xt, 34 grip2, 240/stans crest wheelset and it came in at the same price as a spur and actually weighs 12kg in the real world (S5/XL). I preferred the quality of the frame, internal storage and being able to spec better parts than a complete spur.

devash
    Free Member

I was in the same boat December last year. No X01 Spurs in stock with my local Transition dealer and they said none coming until 2023 at the earliest. They had one large GX Spur so I took that. Best descision I ever made.

GX spec Spur has lower spec forks and shock too

The differences are negligable. The only difference between the Sidluxe Ultimate and Sidluxe Select+ rear shock is that the air can on the Ultimate has a tiny bit more CNC machining which loses an extra ten grammes of weight.

The SID Select+ I’d argue is actually better than the SID Ultimate for trail use because you get the full size damper rather than the strpped back Race Day one. I’d rather take the 150 gramme hit and have a fork that is actually more plush than the Ultimate. Also, the SID Select+ has a proper adjuster for the rebound and not that tiny allen key thing.

I used the £1,000 I saved going with the GX model to buy some nice carbon wheels. I’ll upgrade the GX stuff to X01 as and when things wear out but I’m 1,400 miles into the stock chain and stil haven’t hit 0.5% wear according to my Unior chain checker.

alan1977
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain have a crazy discount on an element C30 atm ;)
    ***PRE ORDER*** Element Carbon 30 2022

mjsmke

Interesting about the SIDs and performance.

That Rocky Mountail Element is too heavy at that spec. Does look nice though.

I’ll have a look at a stumpjumper but think it might be too ‘burly’ for me at 58kg.

oldenough
    Free Member

Obviously recommend what you have
    Elite in small is showing in stock.

SNIPER T Elite

Clink

Specialized Epic Evo? I don’t think any of the Evo models have Brain shocks.

shredder
    Free Member

I was waiting on a Spur frame for 18mths. Gave up in the end and purchased a full build Epic Evo comp. Swapped everything with the build kit I had for the Spur. Absolutely outstanding bike around 22lbs and more than capable. No regrets at all and glad I couldn’t get the Spur as the Epic (imo) is more of an all-rounder.

shredder
    Free Member

stanley

Santa Cruz Tallboy?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I just got a Scott Spark. There are some big discounts on them at the moment and it rides very nicely. You can change the head angle by rotating the cups in the frame and it’s very capable – trail capable rather than XC race capable.

lawman91

I’d just go for a GX Spur. As Devash said, the Sid Select+ fork is arguably better and certainly not worse. I swapped the damper to the lighter Race Day one from the Ultimate and is negligible between them. The only different in the two shocks is a bit of machining on the eyelet that saves you a whole 3g. Yes. 3 whole grams. Otherwise, totally the same.

I adore mine, it’s ruddy awesome!

mjsmke

Santa Cruz Tallboy?

It’s a bit heavy for me. I looked at the Blur TR but find the sizing odd with quite a long seat tube in a size small with a short reach. Medium has too long a seat tube for me.

I just got a Scott Spark.

What size did you get? And how tall are you? It was at the top of my list but it seems quite short.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and on a Large. I think the reach is 470, which is the longest of all my bikes.

I’ve only had it a week but have given it a baptism of fire – it’s handled Megadeath in Calderdale, the Beast in the Peak and Fryupdale in the North Yorkshire Moors very well. I’ve bought it to be a race bike that can handle day to day XC riding but it turns out it’s more aggressive that that.

devash
    Free Member

One thing to note is that UK / EU Transition pricing has gone up massively recently so the GX Spur is now £6k which is an absolute pisstake.

Even though I absolutely love the bike I’d definitely be looking at the Epic Evo as an alternative right now. Slightly better frame build, same good warranty. Probably better support because of the larger dealership network and easily available spare parts.

mjsmke

Epic Evo is odd sizing like the Blur TR. Long seat tube and short reach in a size small. Medium has too long a seat tube.

v7fmp

Rocky Mountain have a crazy discount on an element C30 atm 😉
    ***PRE ORDER*** Element Carbon 30 2022

is that some sort of dodgy website? or has this been discussed and i missed the memo?

alan1977
    Free Member

^^ i belive i found it from rocky mountain’s mailing list
    I assume since its a 2022 model its a complete clearout, theres loads of other models but all mostly sold out
    I was tempted. Bt it really shouldnt

SirHC

https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb22356695/p5pb22356695.jpg

Really liking my Stumpjumper, pedals well, can ride proper trails on it. Its a bit more than your weight target.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.