Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Training – race distance, slow pace or race pace, short distance?
  • twister666
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m currently training for a 1 hour race and wonder whether I should be training at race pace and building that up to the hour mark or doing the hour slower and building the speed? Currently I can do about 25mins flat out but can easily do the hour (and more) at a slower pace but would like to tailor the training for maximum speed benefits.

Any suggestions?

Iain

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do both.

Alternate between 2 hours as fast as you can to get the endurance and interval sessions.

Interval sessions where you ride for say 45 minutes, and do a pyramid interval, eg 5 minutes warmup, 30 second spring, 3:30 recovery, 1 minute sprint, 3 minutes recovery, 90second sprint, 2:30 recovery, 2 minute sprint, 2:00 recovery, 2:00 sprint, 2:30 recovery, 1:30 sprint, 3:00 recovery, 1:00 sprint, 3:30 recovery, 30 second sprint, 10 minute cool down.

Or if you live near soem hills, just go hell for leather up the shorter ones and as fast as you can sustain at a constant pace up the longer ones.

njee20
    Free Member

Not bad advice frankly.

Rather than doing 2 hours ‘as fast as you can’, I’d break it up slightly, do three 20 minute flat out efforts within a 2 hour ride, with 15 minutes warm up/cool down/rest between each one.

Short sharp intervals on hills are always good though! Unless it’s a really flat course!

An hour’s not a long race, just go flat out, you’ll be alright!

twister666
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies and advice, looking forward to putting in some training miles. Cheers again, Iain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Training – race distance, slow pace or race pace, short distance?’ is closed to new replies.