Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Trailbuilders – jumps
  • legend
    Free Member

Logs rot, boulders (if available nearby) can be very handy though

honourablegeorge

deanfbm – Member

Answer to that is to do what kids/teens have been doing forever, bits of wood on bricks (could be a mound of earth) and launching off of it over and over. It turns into a long jump competition with marks where everyone is landing. You then make a landing ramp, no gap, then slowly make it longer, not difficult, is it?

I’m 37 though. I look really daft doing that, and all the local kids point and laugh. 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Before the site was offical all the jumps and berms had logs in them. Now its offical the FC does not let you use logs in jumps or to fill out berms but you can uses them to shore up the backs.

Like These:

big berm by scottgolfgti, on Flickr

berm by scottgolfgti, on Flickr

deanfbm
    Free Member

Gotama – the way i see it with the established trail malarky. Unless it’s a footpath/bridleway/forestry commission run trail, no one has any rights when it comes to that trail other than the land owner.

Im saying all the users, whether it be the badgers that first eroded the path, or the walkers that widened it, or the MTBs that started using it or even the scoundrels who are now building jumps, they all have equal rights to the land, ie no rights.

Whoever got there first doesn’t have dibs, it’s the people who put in the work that get the say so in my eyes (as long as they’re responsible, no littler/ankle breaking holes/disturbing badgers etc).

This is something myself and friends’ have discussed and thought about heavily for years, hence feel passionate about it.

scottfitz
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear – Member

if you can make a 5 foot gap on a table you can do the same on a 5 foot table that’s been turned into a double

But there are no tables, so I can’t learn

Go some where that does have tables to learn?

Gotama
    Free Member

Deanofbm – Reality is that I don’t have the time, or put another way, i don’t want to give up what little riding time i have to build so i do appreciate all the building that goes on round us. I guess where we’d differ in opinion is that i wouldn’t say that putting an 8 foot double in the middle of a trail where you had nothing to do with original build and maintenance which flowed really well irrespective of the standard and pace at which you ride it…..is particularly thoughtful of 80% of the people riding it. Put a little flat side route round the jump then great, everyone can still enjoy the trail. Build the jump off to the side; same result. Make the jump do-able for all; again same result. If on the other hand its a trail that has been built by you then put all the jumps in you want, that’s how the route was designed. I guess in my mind it boils down to consideration for others. If its your trail build it how you like, let others build ways round the jump. If it was a trail built by others and you add a jump, consideration says make a route round the jump as well so everyone can still enjoy it.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I guess where we’d differ in opinion is that i wouldn’t say that putting an 8 foot double in the middle of a trail where you had nothing to do with original build and maintenance which flowed really well irrespective of the standard and pace at which you ride it

Work both ways we had a local trail that had a great double in it really added to the flow when you hit it just right. Then about 3 years ago in a summer hols some kids come in and used the soil for a table top which is Crap, Its off line and sends you up in the air. Flow has now gone.

Crap table:

IMG_1781 by scottgolfgti, on Flickr

My point is A GOOD double and really add to the flow of a trail.

jambon
    Free Member

I learned to do doubles by filling the gap with any wood lying around and using the wood as a make-shift table until I got the approach speed correct.

Once I’d got is nailed I removed the wood.

I’d do the same or try to find a door / pallet to learn a new/longer double as I’m always scared of coming up short and doing a dead sailor.

It’s all about fear / lack of confidence for me and I’ve never got over it.#

I envy riders who can do it 1st time perfectly.

legend
    Free Member

jambon – Member
    I learned to do doubles by filling the gap with any wood lying around and using the wood as a make-shift table until I got the approach speed correct.

Wrong way round. Just send it to flat then wind it in again 😉

Gotama
    Free Member

Scottfitz – I don’t have any disagreement with the fact that a double can enhance the flow of the trail…provided you can do it. I’d also like to add based on my earlier comment that it wasn’t me that filled in your jump 😀

Same position i’m in jambon. Part of my problem is being confident in the level of speed required to clear the gap. And also the fact that i associate big jumps with big pain if it goes wrong.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I understand the point about your lovely jumps being worn down, and if you have your own spot with an agreeable landowner fair enough. But if you build in a public area along an open trail/bway etc then us ground dwelling numpties are probably going to ride them. Worth pointing out that coming up short still has us taking off on the lip, the bit we land on and erode you’re so gnar you won’t be touching 😉

scottfitz
    Free Member

it wasn’t me that filled in your jump

I did wonder 😉

ocrider

…If it was a trail built by others and you add a jump, consideration says make a route round the jump as well so everyone can still enjoy it.

Which was my point too.
    We’ve all been there, making jumps in the woods. The older and hopefully wiser you get, the more you realise that in order to be tolerated by others, little compromises have to be made. If you have to alter an existing trail, make an alternative route. Then the mincers, 4 year olds and the gravitationally challenged can still enjoy themselves as equally as yourself.

kudos100
    Free Member

Both have their place. If you haven’t grown up riding bmx or dj, then doubles can seem pretty daunting.

For people who are learning how to get air, a table is the best way to start. No point hitting a double if you don’t know how to relax and jump safely.

Doubles over 10ft can still mess with my head, even though I can easily jump twice as far on tables.

Hopefully this year I will get around to learning how to ride decent sized dirt jumps and get over the fear 😈

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Trailbuilders – jumps’ is closed to new replies.