Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trail suggestions for the Southern park of the Peak district
  • geordynige
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I am coming upto the Peaks on the 10th & 11th July for some proper mountain biking (as I live in Cambridge!!) Have not ridden this part of the country before so am looking for some tips of a good 20-30 mile loop.

Only really chose the Southern part of the Peaks as it is easier to get too. Am happy to go a bit higher up into the Peaks if the riding is better.

Any suggestions much appreciated

Cheers
    Geordynige

nbt

Grab the V Graphics “white peak” book. The “5 dales” ride is a cracker

spideymouse
    Free Member

White peaks book is definately worth getting. I was riding up there for my first time a few weeks back and would have been lost without it. You can pick it up in the Bakewell tourist info (although I did by the last copy).

My understanding of the peaks is the dark peak is more technical and don’t under estimate the hill climbing.

You can download a sample map from the V Graphics website to get you started. The directions are not that detailed but they give just enough to keep you on track with a bit of sense (and a proper map).

geordynige
    Free Member
    nbt

That’s the one!

speaker2animals

The current issue of WMB has it’s route guide section based on part of the White Peak. Starting in Millers Dale which is just a bit further up (N) the A6 (sort of). If you have a GPS the routes are available for free download from Bikeradar/WMB site. After that as said the V graphics book. Steve Makin did a route section in ST 3 or 4 years ago. I’ll have a butchers through the mag archive and see if I can find the issue.

speaker2animals

Issue 26 of ST.

amodicumofgnar

+1 for the white peak guide. What Mountain Bike guide mentioned above covers quite a lot as well. Although its tourist hell Bakewell makes a good start point. You then get the stuff to the West along Monsal Trail (still in its oooh new and busy phase). You can do a longer day ride into Hope and Edale then come back taking via Peak Forest and the lanes west of Tideswell or Pennine Bridleway onto the Monsal Trail. East you’ve got woods around and moors around Chatsworth and Baslow. If its dry the woodland bridleways east of the A6 between Rowsley and Darley Dale are entertaining. There’s more than enough to go at for a few days riding.

Current top food recomendation is the Cafe at Hassop station not cheap but worth it.

iain1775
    Free Member

Email me if you want I can send you a few routes ive done over the years as pdf’s second the stuff around bakewell and the latest wmb as much as I hate the mag it’s a decent guide to the area, depending which wY your coming though it may be just as quick to head via Chesterfield or sheff to the hope valley?

geordynige
    Free Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the top tips – will definitely go for the White Peak book as I am hoping to get up there a bit more regular – flat Cambridge is getting very dull!

Iain – not sure how I can email you – fairly new to this forum – could you mail me – nigeldent07 at gmail.com

Cheers
    GN

Bunnyhop

geordynige – click onto Iains name where it says member, this will bring up his history, then click where it says profile (near the top) which will give you his e-mail addy 🙂
    hth.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Similarly, email me a dot f dot wilson at gmail dot com if you’ve got memory map. I’ve got a few .mmo files

geordynige
    Free Member

Hi all,
    Am now looking at accomodation, can anyone recommend a good pub with rooms?

Cheers
    GN

gwj72
    Free Member

If your coming this far, a few extra miles to the dark peak is well worth it IMO.
    White peak is nice enough, but even when I lived nearer to the derbyshire dales I drove north to ride (now I live in dark peak I don’t have to drive at all!).

cnud
    Free Member

The Peacock in Bakewell is very good, particularily room 4 iirc and is on laterooms.com, but may well be booked up

iain1775
    Free Member

qwj72 +1
    but then I said that in my email to you already 😉
    When are you up this way?
    If you are set on south peaks then bakewell is a far better base than Ashbourne
    Ashbourne is antique shops and the Tissington Trail
    Bakewell at least has some decent trails and tarts

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trail suggestions for the Southern park of the Peak district’ is closed to new replies.