Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trail-Gator
  • delux
    Free Member

I’ve just started looking into getting a tag-along for my 3.5 year old, when I found this thing:

http://www.trail-gator.com/

It looks great in theory since she can already ride and this way we can just give her a tow on longer rides when she gets tired.

Does anyone have any experience with these things? She’s using the smallest 12″ wheel bike we could get from Decathlon, which is allegedly ok according to the website but I’d be interested to hear first hand experience!

iainc

we used one with my son when he was on a 16 inch bike. They are great when set up right but a bit of a faff to do so. Also, the clamp which goes onto the small bike headtube needs to be done up ridiculously tightly to stop the whole thing slewing off at a silly angle. This does tend to damage the headtube with scores and scratches and also need tightening regularly.

Still good though

ajc
    Free Member

If your anywhere near Guildford you can pick up my used for 15 mins one for £25

delux
    Free Member

200 miles away, but thanks anyway! Was it only used for 15 mins because it was rubbish?

iainc – someone else mentioned the jaunty angle problem, but it appears there is now some sort of stabiliser bar at the small bike end. Thanks for the feedback.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above – it knackers the headtube when you do it up tight enought to stop the clamp moving. My boys used it very briefly between child seat and riding solo stages

I’d recommend getting a proper tagalong instead

ajc
    Free Member

My son was able to do 8-10 mile rides very quickly and I have a child back tandem for school run and longer rides so had no use for it. Lots of people rate them though.

davetrave
    Free Member

We have one, barely used as our boy was same as AJC’s…

As for

the clamp which goes onto the small bike headtube needs to be done up ridiculously tightly to stop the whole thing slewing off at a silly angle. This does tend to damage the headtube with scores and scratches and also need tightening regularly.

Couple of pieces of old inner tube between clamp and headtube solve that problem…

ads678

I use our quite a bit for big uphill sections. It’s great, but does need setting up properly. Do everything up super tight and you’ll be fine. Kids love them cos it gives them more freedom than a normal tag a long.

Oh and +1 on the inner tube thing above!!

Saccades
    Free Member

+2 on the inner tube.

It’s great to tow the kids to a place, where they can then have a ride around and then tow them back when knackered.

Used it on a multitude of bikes and the innertube trick gives that extra friction so you don’t need to tighten up quite so much.

I’m going to be getting another as the the kids trailer is too small for #2 child but #1 child still isn’t strong enough to do a decent distance off road yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trail-Gator’ is closed to new replies.