Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Trail etiquette – slower riders….
  • So – usual riding group generally sorts itself out naturally so the faster ones hoon off down the descents first.

When a new rider turns up on a hardtail and isn’t super quick, yet insists on darting down the track after the first couple of riders, is this fair game, or should he get out of the bloody way? STRAAAAAVA!

Actually, it’s not all about Strava, catching someone and hanging off their back wheel at a much slower speed than you are happy with isn’t much fun and makes the descents harder. He got the message on the second descent and did get out of the way after a bit of ribbing.

All good banter between mates at the end of the day and he enjoyed trying some local trails that he didn’t know about.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Just leave a gap then chase them down.

nedrapier

He got the message on the second descent

sounds like it generally sorted itself out!

Dibbs
    Free Member

It’s bound to take a while for a newby to find their place in the pecking order.

wwaswas

If all people can see in front of them is an empty trail and all they can hear behind is tyres and buzzing freehubs they usually get the message and join a bit further down on the next bit of singletrack.

Sometimes following someone slower is quite good as you take time to pick your lines and think about what you’re doing rather than just the red mist of ‘faster! faster!’ that can happen on group rides.

And when it’s someone you know you can always buzz their back tyre to encourage them…

binners

Everyone soon learns their place in the grand scheme of things

Mine….

rusty90
    Free Member

catching someone and hanging off their back wheel at a much slower speed than you are happy with

is one of the skills necessary for riding in mixed groups IMO. Maybe you should have a seeding run first so that lesser mortals have their lowly place in the pecking order made clear 🙂
    Seriously though, sounds like he was enthusiastic, not a bad thing surely?

theotherjonv

How far does it have to go before you say something though. I used to ride with a bloke who always slotted in near the front and then minced terribly down anything vaguely tricky. It reached a nadir on a downhill singletrack path with a small (18″) step down into a corner that you can (sort of) hip jump to line up with the trail as it turns.

And he actually came to a halt and lifted his bike down it. It’s a regularly ridden trail so by no way would he have been unaware it was there. yet he still got in third wheel and messed it up for everyone else.

I may have loosed a few expletives…….

jimjam
    Free Member

I think in the back of most people’s subconsciousness they are fast, particularly if they don’t know a lot of riders or they’re the fastest in their group. It might take them a while to figure out the order.

On the flip side, most of us engage in a little false modesty or self deprecating humour from time to time. The fastest guys I know (fyi they’re faster than you) will happily let anyone go in front of them for sport.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rider order should be based on speed everyone knows this

wwaswas

a small (18″) step down into a corner that you can (sort of) hip jump

I’d have been off and walking too. Probably from nearer the back to start with, though 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

He got the message on the second descent and did get out of the way after a bit of ribbing.

Haven’t you answered your own question here pal?

Maybe you should have a seeding run first so that lesser mortals have their lowly place in the pecking order made clear

This appears to be what happened anyway.

yunki
    Free Member

There are one or two tall athletic riders on my local group nightride who are pretty funny..

Think flash car, boring well paid job, squash club members..

Numerous times they would nip in front at the starts or use strava lines to overtake, whooping and yelling, only to bail out on a tiny obstacle or patch of slippery mud moments later, holding everyone up..

I’m thinking tiny willies

bigblackshed

Generally it sorts itself out if you have a reasonably intelligent group. I’m very usually the last up the hill, but I’m not the slowest down it, by any stretch. It can be frustrating when the fit one with no bike skills thinks that mincing is perfectly acceptable because get to the bottom he’ll ride your legs off again.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m usually among the slower ones going downhill so I’ll just let the rest of the group head off first. If due to some strange some rift in the space-time continuum I catch someone up then we’ll sort the order out as we go along.

@bigblackshed – Part of that’s me – I’ll be well ahead of most of the others on the climbs but I’m not going to worry them on the downhills so I’ll just have a breather, take some photos or whatever. Although if I know there’s going to be a good photo-op halfway down then I’ll head off and get out of the way ready for the others.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You are all assuming the New Rider is someone else aren’t you… 🙄

whitestone
    Free Member

@bikebouy err no. Compared to the gnar-monsters on here, I’m a mincer 😳

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rider order should be based on speed everyone knows this

or sacrificial offering/crash test dummy willingness

jam-bo

I have one mate who is considerably quicker downhill than me. If he catches me then he commentates on my riding from about 6″ off my back wheel. It’s quite off putting.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

To be fair if it is just a social ride with your friends then does it matter that much? Maybe next time they will move aside, or start after you?

Maybe the new rider isn’t aware of the need to bomb as fast as possible and is more interest din a bimble about or is a bit intimidated by the speed merchants he just witnessed whoosh off in front at warp speed?

Any regular group rides I have been part of normally everyone became aware of their own speed and placed themselves accordingly on ups or downs with me being at the back of the queue both up an down!

wwaswas

grey

I quite like sitting at the back and giving slower riders a big head start and then trying to chase them down, improves my riding as I have to concentrate on riding properly..
    It is usually social rides anyway so I’m not bothered about being held up.
    This weekend I’m being a enduroista so I’ll be trying to get out of my comfort zone and crashing all day :lol:, trying to not let the rider behind catch me :lol:.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This is one of the reasons for having a small group.

Nothing worse than a competitive rider without the technical skills to back it up.

They set off early to be in front or near the front of the pack because they want to be first down the hill, which either forces everyone to go slower on the good bits than they want, or everyone waits at the top to make sure they don’t cause a blockage halfway down, which causes gloating about being first down the hill and reinforces the impression that they’re actually capable of holding a forward position in the pack.

It’s frustrating behaviour that’s born of having a focus on ‘position’ rather than ‘fun’.

aracer
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmCDa0sfgkA[/video]

matt_outandabout

a new rider turns up on a hardtail and isn’t super quick

He got the message on the second descent

“Do not ride with with this group again”

muggomagic

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Most people learn their place in the hierarchy of speed on group rides but we do have one regular who often singlespeeds his way to the front uphill and then gormlessly minces at half speed downhill, holding most of us up…

😀 really hope he sees that.

chiefgrooveguru

🙂

“Do not ride with with this group again”

He loved it!

I’ve known him years (not seen him for a while though), just first time I’ve ridden with him – he’s normally out with a different group. If you can’t give your mates some deserved shit on a ride, then it’s a poor show 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Binners is a tail gunner?

Didn’t see that coming.

thomthumb
    Free Member

used to ride with a guy who had no idea about the natural order of things and would insert himself in the group ‘well beyond his capabilities’

very frustrating.

TimP
    Free Member

“Regular” rules me out…

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I don’t get it, if I go out with a new group I start at the back and then gauge myself from there. I hate the thought of holding people up. Also it’s more satisfying when someone else realises you are faster than them and let’s you go first, feels like you earn your placin the hierarchy that way.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

The thing is, the hierarchy is only there so that each individual can maximise their cool beans whist riding as a group. I thought this was fairly obvious, but I think I’ve been a bit naïve and failed to consider egos.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Depends on the situation

We have a great social group that goes out once a week with a massive range of abilities and the ride is geared to supporting the slower riders. So we like to see them within the pack and not dropped off the back or led into stuff blindly. We have sweepers to make sure everything is OK. Everyone takes their share of time at the back and the front and everyone always has a good time whatever their ‘natural’ speed.

If out on a ride to just have a blast on the descents, it can be a little aggravating when a rider climbs well, doesn’t ever stop at the top and descends terribly. It’s give and take on a social blast and it always seems a bit selfish to not even think about whether others would want to go faster down a descent, especially when you know the majority of the pack are far quicker downhill. There are hardly any of those folks about though, most people are more ‘nah you go, I’m not in a rush’

I pretty much always like to sit somewhere within the pack or at the back if I’m riding with the fast guys round here, and would definitely rather go a bit slower behind someone than be holding up good riders and getting in their way.

Cougar

If you’ve got a known slow rider in front of you, can’t you just wait a minute before setting off on your descent? You’d only have to wait at the bottom for them anyway, why not wait at the top instead?

Either that or, y’know, talk to them. “We ride roughly in speed order and you had a faster rider behind you, so we’ll swap places on the next run.” Probably less confrontational if it’s someone other than the rear admiral gnarlmaster asking them.

wwaswas

I think I’d join a club call The Gormless Mincers.

The jersey would be worth the membership on it’s own.

and the car stickers:

“I may be a Gormless Mincer but I’m in front of you for the foreseeable future”

“Gormless Mincers Do It From The Front”

Kryton57

Find your place in a group and observe some etiquette by stick to it. And/or earn your way to the front*

*with the exception of road riding where you should do a turn(s) on the front no matter how short as a matter of courtesy 8)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is this me STR? 😉

Obviously not, I’m amazing on a bike. But is this someone who was new out last night? Can’t say I’ve noticed anyone in the group doing it, except the lad who’s normally fast but is on a crap hardtail while his good bike is fixed but he’s stayed at the back.

Otherwise it sounds like he’s already stopped doing it. Maybe he eyed everyone up and thought we all looked slower than him? In which case surely that makes us mincers the problem?

rusty90
    Free Member

I think I’d join a club call The Gormless Mincers.
    The jersey would be worth the membership on it’s own.

Count me in! I use to be a member of a skiing club called the No Control Ski Patrol, we had club jackets and everything. The moniteurs thought it was hilarious and let us to the front of all the lift queues.

You’d need some club rules though
    1. All rides to start with at least 30 minutes of faffing about
    2. All riders to forget at least one essential item of kit
    3. Any rider completing 3 consecutive rides without a crash or mechanical to be ejected forthwith.

Club motto Steady on lad, it’s not a race you know

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Surely the best way to integrate yoursel into a group is to go in the last couple of riders for the first section and if you find yourself up the backside of ther person in front, you go ahead of them on the next section and so on until you find where you’re not being held up or doing it to anyone else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Trail etiquette – slower riders….’ is closed to new replies.