Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Trail Etiquette
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the guy in the OP’s scenario certainly acted like a prat, there’s no two ways about that. But as a multiple KOM holder and aggressive trail rider myself, I can certainly see his frustrations.

It’s happened to the best of us I’m sure. Arrive at your local trail centre; spend twenty minutes in the car park psyching yourself up for a KOM run on the Black route; get round the third corner and you find yourself stuck behind someone who should really be on a Blue graded trail.

I used to shout “fast rider approaching, please move into the side” in an authoritative tone; this usually worked. Although if it didn’t, it’d be a run spoilt and a ride back to the trail head cursing under my breath.

I’m planning on starting an e-petition for large features (three to four foot gaps and three foot drops) to be built on the Black graded trails at my local trail centre, in a bid to dissuade riders who really should know their place.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Again B is the answer, with a pile of don’t be a dick.
    Had a guy on a trail set off just behind me and the less confident person I was riding with – there was no need as they were sat chilling when we arrived at the start of the section. It was flowy with some rock rolls on it so on the top of each on I just hesitated slightly enough to reinforce that sitting right on my arse not saying anything was pointless. Want to pass say something but mostly don’t try and chase people you don’t know down a trail.
    Then the other lot at Glentress who jumped in the middle of our group and harassed the slower riders by forcing their way through didn’t seem to appreciate the sound of my Hope Hubs clicking behind them with added helpful comments…

Northwind

If I catch a rider on the trail and it’s not a good time, I tend to stop and create a gap. Don’t really see I have the right to impose myself on the rider in front, their ride’s as important as mine and generally the person doing the catching is more in control of the situation anyway and the slower rider might well not be in a great place to deal with extra hassle.

Especially at trail centres, where you tend to stop at the top of descents anyway. To be fair I don’t get caught much these days but I used to, and I figured if you watched me wobble off down the trail then chased me down, more fool you. On a 2 minute descent, if you waited at the top then catch the rider in front, it’s you that’s screwed up.

Strava? If Strava affected how I ride like that I’d not use it.

Not sure why such a next level rider as Mr Taylforth is wasting time on black runs tbh

TimothyD
    Free Member

In the OP’s situation, responding that the main rule of not being a danger others should be applied above any other, and that he (faster/following rider) was out of order would have been a good thing.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Did the Mods really sensor this thread?

mcnultycop

Davidtaylforth doesn’t mind holding road traffic up…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-should-you-do-in-this-scenario

I had to look at his posts to see if his post above was real.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure why such a next level rider as Mr Taylforth is wasting time on black runs tbh

Like a tree falling in a deserted forest, what’s the point if the plebs can’t stand and show admiration for his skillz

TimothyD
    Free Member

I like that the Mods might have censored this thread btw 🙂

milky1980
    Free Member

B with a hint of A.

I used to ride with a friend who is partially deaf so any wind noise meant he couldn’t hear anything behind him, A isn’t really possible for him so I default to B. If I do notice someone coming up fast behind me and there is a safe place to let them past I will but sometimes it’s safer to hold them up for a few seconds until you reach the end of the track/section/segment. If I catch someone up I’ll either drop back a bit to create space or follow at a safe distance and make myself known then wait for a suitable place to go by.

Is this really something we need to debate (for the umpteenth time) ?

jonba
    Free Member

When I catch people at trail centres if safe I will call on your right and pass. If not I will wait behind or stop to let a gap open depending on the trail.

If it’s a mate I’ll buzz their wheel and heckle.

In a race if I’m being lapped I’ll yield but that happens rarely. If I’m competing them I’ll put my elbows out.

doomanic

Another vote for B with a dash of A. My hearing is fubar, so unless you’re on Hope hubs I won’t hear you behind me. I make every effort to move over once I know there is a faster rider behind but the number of people who are sat around at the top of a climb but then start the descent “before the fat bloke we just passed” and hold me up even when I give them a head start often make me want to rethink that.

Oh, and davidtaylforth is a dick.

mkultr4
    Free Member

It’s a hobby for all of us. If a rider is quicker than me I try to tell them I am pulling over to the left or right and never had a problem.

I have noticed a few times slow riders have had funny looks from faster riders but they’re dicks who aren’t good enough to race and want to moan at weekend riders for enjoying themselves.

for the rider at cannock who had a go at the slower rider…fcukin joke.

A bit of common courtesy and manners go along way and are free. Just have a good time whatever speed you ride at.

scaredypants

Oh, and davidtaylforth is a dick.

wasn’t quite at his best there but he’s still a master on his day

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Not that I use trail centres much, but as one of the slowest riders on here I’d probably hold a hand up and lean against a tree to let another past. Well, as in driving, if he were really close then I’d probably slow down for a while first, to keep us both safe, while I look for a suitable straight.

mattbee

His first paragraph was masterful. Lost it further in though.

I’m deaf in my left ear so anyone hooning up behind be usually makes me jump. My observation is that the truly fast riders either don’t mind being held up while I find somewhere to let them pass or are good enough to get through with minimal disruption to either of us. It’s the ones who think they are better than they really are that get arsey.

stewartc
    Free Member

On the rare occasion that I catch someone and they don’t pull over for whatever reason, and where I ride it could be that they don’t speak English, I just sit back and treat it as a training run, trying new lines etc.
    Unless you are in a race, chillax and just enjoy the ride.

scotroutes

If you want to overtake folk, ride a fatbike. I’ve seen riders almost jump off the trail in front of me when they hear 4″ of knobbly rubber bearing down on them.

bensales
    Free Member

I vote B but on the understanding that the slower rider has no obligation at all to the faster rider.

ianfitz – Member
    In a race you probably should give way to the faster rider. Especially if you are being lapped.

I think you’re misunderstanding what a race is :-). The only time in a race you give way to anyone is if you’re being lapped. If it’s another rider on the same lap as you, then it’s up to them to find a way past. If they’re the person immediately behind you, then you’re even allowed to make life extremely difficult for them!

doubledunter
    Free Member

B & one should invite the other to be his/her facebook friend 😕

doubledunter
    Free Member

I think the guy in the OP’s scenario certainly acted like a prat, there’s no two ways about that. But as a multiple KOM holder and aggressive trail rider myself, I can certainly see his frustrations.

It’s happened to the best of us I’m sure. Arrive at your local trail centre; spend twenty minutes in the car park psyching yourself up for a KOM run on the Black route; get round the third corner and you find yourself stuck behind someone who should really be on a Blue graded trail.

I used to shout “fast rider approaching, please move into the side” in an authoritative tone; this usually worked. Although if it didn’t, it’d be a run spoilt and a ride back to the trail head cursing under my breath.

I’m planning on starting an e-petition for large features (three to four foot gaps and three foot drops) to be built on the Black graded trails at my local trail centre, in a bid to dissuade riders who really should know their place.

I started to laugh at this post thinking it could a joke then realised you are possibly being serious…deary me 😥 😕

martinhutch

I started thinking you knew he was a troll then realised you didn’t. 😀

chiefgrooveguru

🙂

doubledunter
    Free Member

I started thinking you knew he was a troll then realised you didn’t.

It had crossed my mind 😆

jonnyboi

The answer is to ride natural stuff, you can go hooning off into the leaves, sticks and rocks in the unlikely event of actually meeting someone, and when you do bother riding a trail centre you’ll be miles faster than all those black run warriors in their matching kit.

oldtalent
    Free Member

A – you must know you are a dawdler. Stop ruining other people’s enjoyment.

ulysse
    Free Member

A word of warning, as a PTSD sufferer, I deliberately try to maintain a calm demeanor. Trail etiquette, I give way to faster riders at the first opportunity, slower riders ill ride at a safe distance behind and have a friendly gab at the bottom, offer a few of the tips I’ve been taught…
    But just reading davidtsylforths post up there, if that ever happened to me, I know the outcome, and it wouldn’t be a hoof in the slats.
    I’d be writing this on the Nokia I’d plugged up my arse before the sentance

legend
    Free Member

offer a few of the tips I’ve been taught…

Tips off some random about how to be better are what makes the world go round

ulysse
    Free Member

I’ll listen to anyone giving advice personally, every day can turn out to be a school day 😀

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

It’s like when driving in a car with someone slow in front, get right up their backsides to pressure them into speeding up.

Failing that overtake at the first opportunity even if it means getting in their way and risking their lives.

Ruddy old slow people.

joat

I was riding steadily once, waiting for my slightly slower and less experienced, albeit more athletic friends to catch up. Once I heard them on my wheel, I gave it some beans to see it they could hold my wheel. To my surprise they weren’t far behind at the end of the section. To my further surprise they weren’t my mates either. They probably thought I was a dick. My buddies were passing themselves.

Rorschach
    Free Member

the slower rider has no obligation at all to the faster rider.

And if that applies then the faster rider has no obligation at all to the slower rider.And we can all ride like twunts.

deviant
    Free Member

We should take a leaf from skiing where slower riders already down the trail have right of way and the onus is on the faster skier behind to pass safely…..problem solved but there’s so much ego in MTB, at the moment I despair at some of the conversations I overhear at trail centres.

They should do a race or two, that’d bring down to size!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

We should take a leaf from skiing where slower riders already down the trail have right of way and the onus is on the faster skier behind to pass safely…..problem solved but there’s so much ego in MTB, at the moment I despair at some of the conversations I overhear at trail centres.

+1

NO reason why you can’t hang back on a bit of single track until there is a clear place to overtake. I’ve ridden with riders who are hard of hearing and have no chance of hearing someone come up behind them. But do keep an eye over there shoulder. But this isn’t always practical especially on technical sections.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We should take a leaf from skiing where slower riders already down the trail have right of way and the onus is on the faster skier behind to pass safely

The only rule/common sense that anyone needs

But dave +1 for a great post in true style earlier!! Made me laugh anyway

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Trail Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.