Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Touring bikes. Why do they all….
  • avdave2

When I was commuting on road I found in board mounted bar ends pretty useful on flat bars especially when riding into headwinds.

jp-t853

I have gone down this route with a Kaffenback. I transfered all parts from an MTB so it has full xt and tough 26″ wheels. I would not use Kaffenback forks again however I would look at a Surley or other alternative as the wheels twist in the fork under heavy breaking which is annoying. Also there are no fork mounts for panniers but that is not an issue for my touring to date.

Poor phone picture!

I use flat bars with bar ends and flat pedals, I regularly ride up to 75 miles and this is really comfy. I have never managed to set up a drop bar bike for long distances I always get a bad back.

stumpy01

How about something like this:

http://pinnacle-bikes.co.uk/city-and-leisure/pinnacle-lithium-4-2014-hybrid-bike

Seems to tick most of your boxes, I think, apart from perhaps the OS bars. Doesn’t say in the spec what size they are , but OS now seems standard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

jp-t853 – Member
    I would not use Kaffenback forks again however I would look at a Surley or other alternative as the wheels twist in the fork under heavy breaking which is annoying.

Really? you had to correct the steering?

mugsys_m8

I went: Kaffenbak winter roadie bodged up to rigid 26″ Inbred singlespeed to Surly Ogre (29).

The Inbred and now the Surly Ogre are my only MTB as well as my tourer. For the surly I’ve now built up 2 wheelsets. Upto now we have only ever toured with the children: One in trailer, and 2nd in seat, moving to the trailer when the oldest went onto the follow me. We are quite heavily loaded as we camp.

The Ogres are great with trailer/ follow-me as they have threaded inserts for the bob yak type mounts rather than using the quick release.

I’ll be keeping the Ogre for a long time I think and it will hopefully serve me for adventure type remote touring when the kids are older or doing their own thing.

Klunk
    Free Member

marin used to make these, used as a commuter/winter hack

clearance for 2 inch tyres, mtb gearing front and rear rack mounts, hydro discs. Later models were 29ers they don’t make anything like it anymore unfortunately.

jp-t853

Really? you had to correct the steering?

The spindle in the hub moves within the fork cowls so the wheel twists slightly in the fork and then the disc rubs.

I’m not sure if I explained that very well.

I never happened with the same wheels and discs in RC31 or Kona P2’s so I have put it down to the forks. It does not seem to matter how much I tighten the quick release. I would also favour something very slightly longer or with more rake as the toe clearance is an issue on Kaffenbacks but the benefit may be very small.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP is there any reason a 29er mtb isn’t suitable?

Not really. It’s something I’ve thought about… Only thing I can think of as to why not is its easier and cheeper to get lower gears on a 26in bike. When you’re climbing up to the Tan Hill Inn pulling a trailer, that matters! 🙂

The Pinnacle is nice, but a tad pricy for me…. I’d have to pay full whack!*
    I’ve actually ordered one of THESE for Mrs PP. They’re out of stock until end March (Gahhh!!) as it’s about the best I can come up with. I’ll be loosing the chainset for a 22/32/44 of which I have 3 sitting in the garage (All brand new, bought them for the chinrings… 🙂 )

*I work in a bike shop remember… If I can get one from one of our suppliers I get trade. Madison staff discount is pretty hefty on to of that as well.

ton

PP, don’t know if anyone mentioned a surly troll, Mrs ton has a wee little 16” one.
    it compliments my 22” Lht a treat.
    both are fitted with 12/36 blocks, 22/32/42 chainsets and bb7’s.
    hers has mary bars, mine has jones hoops. both have schwalbe marathon plus tyres. both have flat pedals, full guards and tortec racks.

both cover all your bases…I think… 😆

velocipede
    Free Member

Well, how about going full-on traditional – this rides beautifully on Weinmann centre pulls!

…she’s currently for sale at £375…although she doesn’t actually belong to me, she’s my mates but he’s asked me to sell it for him….if I hadn’t just cleared a couple of bikes out and bought one in, I’d have had it myself but I think I’d get strung up!

Olly
    Free Member

No issues with an mtb 22 36 48 chainset on the disk trucker. Rocking silly bar ends here, as a “hoods” position.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

22,36,48? How does your mech cope with that? That’s over capacity……

Waderider
    Free Member

My off road tourer (often on road). 1988 Brooks saddle. Tiagria drop bar 9 speed STI’s pulling a BB7 at the front. Rear brake XTR V brake with travel agent. Good modulation and power from both brakes. Shifters work well with a Deore/Middleburn/XT drivetrain mix. Photo taken at Cadderlie bothy just over a week ago.

My on road tourer (often off road). 2010 Brooks Saddle. Rebuilt since this photo, now 105 STI’s pulling Tektro’s mini vees, and a 105 triple drivetrain. Good power and modulation from both brakes when dry. Unfortunately the Mavic Open Pro ceramics are a bit shite in the wet, I pop an alloy rimmed front wheel on in winter. The ceramics rims have lasted 30,000km +. Photo taken on the Roman Road to Durisdeer, Dumfries and Galloway. In this photo 48,44,22 (half step plus granny) chainset covered by a long cage Ultegra mech. Chain baggy in little ring little, tight in big big, but perfectly workable and rideable and able to shift to any gear.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if you changed the fork on a voodoo hoodoo (and maybe change the wheels – I found the stock to be pretty flimsy) you’d have what you want for cheap.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I think I’d want drop bars on a tourer if only for somewhere to get low if I was riding a very long way into a headwind

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think I’d want drop bars on a tourer if only for somewhere to get low if I was riding a very long way into a headwind

We never ride a very long way anywhere. 🙂 we do it as a holiday. It’s rare we do much over 40 miles in a day. What’s the rush? Our average speed is usually around 9mph, but I carry more luggage than most people. We don’t skimp on comfort. 🙂

IMG_2049 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Basil

And the winner is

paul4stones

Are you looking for a new bike or just musing?

You don’t need gears anyway – I managed the coast and castles SS towing a trailer when my Alfine hub failed at the start 🙂

Heave (34:18!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Paul,
    Just musing, yes. I can’t imagine a better bike than my 853 Inbred to be honest. I would be happy to quite literally ride round the world on it , if the opportunity arose. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Touring bikes. Why do they all….’ is closed to new replies.