Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tour of Britain crash,
  • project
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK2K5EbzmRc[/video]

just look how the front wheel springs back , and the amount of bounce from the bikes, spooky or what.

Slow motion towards the end of the vid.

Best wishes to Ian Bibby to make a speedy recovery.

racefaceec90

😯

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Who says carbon just cracks, splinters and blows up ??

Albeit that wheel is now trashed, its still in one piece.

njee20
    Free Member

Pretty common with carbon wheels. Good example of carbon being stronger than alu frankly, imagine the state an alu rim would be in.

Assume Bibby did his collar bone from the position he was adopting? Shame it was 2 of our strongest riders!

Edit: you say it would be trashed but George Hincapie did a similar thing to an Easton rim, including putting a hole clean through the wall of the rim and it stayed true, barely rubbing the brakes!

sunshiner1der
    Free Member

ooh that looks painful!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

njee20, saw thw aftermath of the wheel, f00ked. Thomas got back on and was still giving it big licks near the end, hards as nails. Where the f00k has Jonathan Tiernan-Locke’s form come from, hes dropping everyone one the climbs, ridik ????

Dont think hes got a ride for next season but Im sure he will be having a few phone calls now.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was hanging around the bus station it Wells after the finish. Geraint appeared at the door of the Sky bus chatting to someone. He turned and slipped his cycle shorts down to show a very bruised looking arse! He was grinning about it though. Poor Bibby.

njee20
    Free Member

I went to Uni with Tiernan-Locke, he contacted me about riding with the club, he said he’d done a bit of racing and was pretty good (as did most of them who were actually terrible) but I never actually got around to riding with him. He even lived with a friend of mine. Wasn’t until we left I realised who he was, annoyingly!

jonb
    Free Member
    ampthill

I’m not sure that it was really a great advert for carbon wheel performance under big side loads.

crazy-legs

I’m not sure that it was really a great advert for carbon wheel performance under big side loads.

On the contrary, it’s a great advert. Any wheel of any material would have broken so that’s not the point. The point is that the wheel deflected and bent but did NOT splinter or shatter (which would be very dangerous). The UCI have a list on their website of carbon wheels that are allowed because they’ve passed a burst test – basically they’re put in a jig and broken from a range of angles and the wheel must not shatter into little pieces or break away from the hub.

Nasty crash of course, I hope Bibby recovers quickly but there is no fault attached to any of the kit they’re using – in fact it probably saved it from being even nastier.

ampthill

Are you sure any wheel would have broken. Not after an argument but happy to learn.

richmtb

Are you sure any wheel would have broken. Not after an argument but happy to learn.

Mavic Deemax’s would probably have stood up to it pretty well, but you be unlikely to be up the front of a road race on them!

Nasty crash hope Bibby heels quickly

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

CaptJon
    Free Member

I like how the dog give the camera an embarrassed look in that video.

boxelder

The dog fares better than the wheel!
    Bone and hair rims anyone?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Bibs has a broken collarbone, hardly surprising from the way his should smashed into the ground at 30mph! He said he was ready for a holiday anyway!

Woody
    Free Member

I like how the dog give the camera an embarrassed look in that video.

Even more impressive that the rider managed to avoid landing on him with a neat straddle and roll.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tour of Britain crash,’ is closed to new replies.