• This topic has 103 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)
  • Tour de France 2021 stage 11 > Sorgues – Malaucène
  • lunge

Ventoux looking amazing in the pics.

Klunk
    Free Member

perhaps Carapaz isn’t feeling great and they didn’t want him exposed ? otherwise it’s an odd one. Or they don’t know how to ride any other way and are just assuming Carapaz is in yellow or one Covid test from it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

risk losing Cav and his ilk to the time cutoff, so DQS et al might also ride to shut down breaks.

Educate me.
    How does one shut down a break?

I can understand how the peleton might go faster in order to catch a break, which might be deemed “shutting down” but essentially this surely just results in a higher speed that is trickier for Cav to keep up. No?

Or I guess if a DQS rider was in the break then he could soft pedal when he’s on the front to slow the break down. But then surely they’d just ride around him?

Did you mean either of the above, or something else?

PS. If anyone can recommend a video explaining all the nuances of stage races then I’d love to see it.

Cheers

And another thing, when people referr to the team helping Cav round the mountains… tell me what that actually entails… clearly they can get in front if him and shield him from the wind, but isn’t that of negligible value on 8% uphill gradients?
    Tell me.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s nice to have a wheel to follow, and someone to pass you a gel/bottle and offer encouragement. Alone up that mountain would be soul destroying.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Especially if it is venteuse

crazy-legs

PS. If anyone can recommend a video explaining all the nuances of stage races then I’d love to see it.

GCN is the place to go:

Educated me.
    How does one shut down a break?

Depends on the composition of the break, how many riders in total, which teams are represented in the break, where they are on GC, what their aims are for the day and also on the peloton – if they want to bring it back, if there are teams in there capable of doing so, the terrain and so on.

A break can be shut down either by a rider in it deliberately disrupting things and allowing the peloton to pull them back or it can be shut down by the peloton riding so hard that nothing can get away.

Klunk
    Free Member

oi Pog stay clear of Ritchie Gate 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what are Ineos doing?

Brian Smith says they want to win the stage…. really? Carapaz is the only one that could do this and Pog will just sit on his wheel to the end.

There has to be something else they are trying? Anyone?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

DQS could tell Alaphilippe not to do any work in the breakaway. The other teams would be crazy to take him along for the ride. They could cite that they were ensuring Cavendish made the time cut off.

Fwiw I think there are a few green tinted glasses being worn. Keeping Cavendish in green will be a definite target for DQS but not at the expense of the world champion picking up a prestigious stage win or if he has decided to try for the polka dot jersey.

scud
    Free Member

PS. If anyone can recommend a video explaining all the nuances of stage races then I’d love to see it

I don’t know of any videos, but a lot of my understanding and knowledge has come from listening to the excellent The Cycling Podcast and Velocast podcasts. Perfect to accompany watching the Tour, both do a daily show during the Grand Tours.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I think they are riding as if UAE are not there. They have given up on yellow (or assume Pogacar is going to fail a dope test, fall off etc) and riding against the rest.

crazy-legs

Wout van Aert – CX racer, sprinter, climber…
    Impressive stuff.

I think I meant to put him into my fantasy team but I ended up with Greg van Avermaet instead. Too similar a name.

anagallis_arvensis

Trying to make it hard to allow Carapaz to move onto podium. Pogacar is in another race.

beamers

Cav’s group 21 minutes down!

crazy-legs

Cav’s group 21 minutes down!

Cut off will probably be about the 35 minute mark. Anyway, there’s the descent off Ventoux to the finish which should allow that group to make up a bit of time. I reckon he’ll be safe – it’ll be fairly close again, 2 or 3 minutes leeway but he’ll be there. 🙂

dazh

Van Aert is incredible. One day challenging Cav in the sprint, the next leading the race over ventoux whilst barely looking like he’s trying. It’s madness.

scud
    Free Member

Amazing how Van Aert can come second in a sprint yesterday, now is ripping the legs off a small climber, he is the swiss army knife of riders!

Klunk
    Free Member

O’Conners gone

crazy-legs

O’Conners gone

But not by much. The time is only ticking out slowly, it’s not like he’s parked up. He’s got a healthy margin in 2nd place.

Klunk
    Free Member

he’s hanging there, but if it kicks off with yellow.

Klunk
    Free Member

WvA starting to pedal squares

crazy-legs

he’s hanging there, but if it kicks off with yellow.

Suddenly, the fact that BOC is gone means that 3rd, 4th, 5th are all fighting it out. Once again though, Ineos have spent all day sitting on the front trying to set up Carapaz and he can’t do anything on it.

theotherjonv

Pogacar blows!

(not as badly as Carapaz though…..)

Klunk
    Free Member

yowzers

scud
    Free Member

What a ride by Vingegard, Pog actually looks mortal!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Cav’s group is now 31 minutes back and still not made it to Chalet Reynard.

I think it’s gonna be tight for him!

crazy-legs

Pogacar blows!

He really doesn’t need to worry too much, he’ll still end the day with a 4+ minute advantage. Although it might give the other riders hope that he’s not quite invincible!

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Carapaz’s Giro ride is starting to show (understandably). The fact Ineos are relying on him for a result is pretty damning.

crazy-legs

50mph on the descent. 🙂

mashr

scud

What a ride by Vingegard, Pog actually looks mortal!

Kinda got the feeling he just didn’t bother pushing on, Vingegaard isn’t a threat

theotherjonv

Cav’s group is now 31 minutes back and still not made it to Chalet Reynard.

I think it’s gonna be tight for him!

slowoldman’s road book suggested for a fast stage 48 mins. I guess today counts as fast?

crazy-legs

Great ride from WvA, well deserved.

beamers

50mph on the descent. 🙂

60 just flashed up!

Klunk
    Free Member

Timelimit 15%, or 6:05:22 (+47:39)

dannybgoode

The cut off is 47 mins and they think Cav is about 35 minutes at the moment and near the top so should be ok. Phew!

Well done WvA as well – great ride that. Nearly beat Cav in the sprint yesterday and bossed The Giant of Provence today… twice.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

+47.40 minutes for Cav to get in according to Brian Smith on Eurosport. He’ll be fine.

Klunk
    Free Member

OConner lost nearly 4 mins on gc

ferrals
    Free Member

47.40 to the cut-off according the the racecentre.letour website.

the live data seems to have stopped but I think Cav was at 45 something

weeksy

Well done WvA as well – great ride that. Nearly beat Cav in the sprint yesterday and bossed The Giant of Provence today… twice.

That is just remarkable isn’t it. He almost had that sprint, then to destroy the whole field today on a mountain stage, well, just astounding

crazy-legs

That is just remarkable isn’t it. He almost had that sprint, then to destroy the whole field today on a mountain stage, well, just astounding

I imagine he’ll do OK in the TT stage as well. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘Tour de France 2021 stage 11 > Sorgues – Malaucène’ is closed to new replies.