Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,453 total)
  • Tottenham Riots
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My Mother still taught me values though

Never given anything

Wait a minute…

RustySpanner

Rioting has happened ever since people started living together in huge numbers.
    You might as well try and stop the tides turning.

There is always a balance between those who feel that they have a legitimate grievance and opportunists.

You can’t do anything about the opportunists, but surely it would be sensible to attempt to identify the root causes of the initial grievances and attempt to minimise the severity and frequency of future incidents?

Disenfranchisement, poverty and percieved persecution of those who initially riot always seem to be cited as the root causes, whether we agree from our own perspective that those reasons are valid or not.

And ‘Riot’, would have been a far more appropriate Kennedys track to quote in the current circumstances.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

The problem with nukes is they destroy infrastructure as well. Reducing the economic potential of the area used.

What is need is some sort of massive global pandemic followed by population controls.

This will mean there are more resources per person and we might have a chance of providing a decent life for all.

It will be a bit like Britain after the black death where lack of labour lead to increased worker power and therefore workers wages and rights improved.

brakes
    Free Member

at least there is the full span of opinion on this thread.
    unfortunately, the hard-right seem to be the only ones with solutions.
    the hard left know the whys but not the hows.
    are there no innovative, realist thinkers out there with workable ideas?

j_me
    Free Member

They hate neocons like you even more than hippies.

Lol of the week

scu98rkr
    Free Member

global pandemic ?

richc
    Free Member

Its ALWAYS easier to blame someone else for your own short-comings.

So then Hora, you going to take your own advice?

As for the riots, well as they cut the Police by 25% and Youth Support by 75%; this is hardly surprising, and the Govt has been warned by the Met for months that this was going to happen.

As for increasing punishment for people, if we do that where are we going to put them? the Prisons are full already; and what’s the point of punishing people who really don’t care? If you have nothing to lose, then losing your liberty isn’t really going to bother you, as you are just switching sitting in a bedsit with **** all to do and no hope, to sitting in a cell with **** all to do, and regular hot food.

I am sure the Tories are happy though; as its just like the glory days of the ’80’s again.

skiprat
    Free Member

worth a thought? could be the answer.

binners

scu98rkr
    Free Member

In reality everybody knows that change takes time. I would say the world is a better place than 1000 years ago, our country is a better place than 100 years ago. Most of the West is better than 100 years ago, even China + India are probably better places to live than 100 years ago.

The only real answer is for the world population to start to level off and then hopefully we will start to be able to get a grip providing a reasonable standard of living for all.

hora
    Free Member

You mean following the 70’s when Labour screwed up the country and then followed the Winter of Discontent?

Thatcher then came in and had to make some really unpopular decisions to correct the economy for which some blame them for (rather than looking at the previous Labour party).

So its cyclic. We are in that stage where we are picking up the rampant spending tab from 12yrs of Labour AGAIN.

Richc I really do think you should start reading up at what Labour did in the 70’s before you post.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Where’s a superhero when you need one… (TJ excluded)

Lifer
    Free Member

Wohoooo! That’s the first time I’ve seen it blamed on Labour, congrats.

RustySpanner

Brakes, what if there are no ‘workable solutions’?

Perhaps rioting is part of the price we pay for liberal democracy.

Any imposed ‘solutions’ which fail to take human nature into account are bound to fail, if we still wish to maibtain the freedom we all take so much for granted.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

We are in that stage where we are picking up the rampant spending tab from 12yrs of Labour AGAIN.

Hora – About 2 mins ago

Its ALWAYS easier to blame someone else for your own short-comings

Hora – About 20 mins ago

Hora – You are Awesome.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“if we do that where are we going to put them? the Prisons are full already; and what’s the point of punishing people who really don’t care?”

I completely agree, but at the moment I pay taxes to have them sit at home, or more recently go and smash stuff up.

Boot camp/working in the community – Get them doing stuff, cleaning parks, cleaning up graffiti, picking up rubbish, building stuff etc etc, helping with care in the community. Gives them skills, gets them out of bed in the morning, gives them purpose, gives them sense of achieveing some thing.

I’d be quite happy to keep paying them dole etc, rather than them going in prison if it benefits the community and keeps them off the streets.

brakes
    Free Member

what really ***** me off is that I came into work today and everyone is making jokes about it all, people are scared of having opinions so just brush off the issue with humour.
    I think this is part of the problem – there is no pressure from the populous to do anything because they’re scared of having opinions in case they upset someone or alienate themselves.

binners

its a bit like trying to explain quantum physics to a chimp with learning difficulties, isn’t it?

I blame the parents 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

brakes…this sort of thing

hora
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – I wouldn’t have trusted the Iron Chancellor with a Credit card.

bland

Bring back national service i say!

These plebs have no structure in their lives, are quite possibly in bred as i imagine a bleeding good percentage are from split families and most wont know who they could be related to. They have been produced from lobours generation of layabouts, have never been disciplined and the worst thing is that they will be reproducing again soon. The sooner they start sterilising the feral woman who produce this low level sloth the better.

As for this prick who got shot in the first place, im sorry but brandish a gun at cops and thats what happens. The only misgiving here is that the police dont do it more, the message may sink in then! ANd well done love, you excellently described your partner as a callous wimp who would run at the first sign of trouble, but like most he thought he was the big man because he had a gun!

Its about time the well to do of this country started getting these ejits when they are by themselves and giving them a good pasting, bring the army in to control them while the police turn away the cameras to keep the beating out of the public eye and show them some discipline.

As for their being no jobs, dont get me started. WHat they mean is there are no jobs that pay what i can earn by pushing some crack or coke.

The cops need to take a zero tolerance, Ray Mallon type approach or the rot will just get worse.

Rant over

binners

Boot camp/working in the community – Get them doing stuff, cleaning parks, cleaning up graffiti, picking up rubbish, building stuff etc etc, helping with care in the community. Gives them skills, gets them out of bed in the morning, gives them purpose, gives them sense of achieveing some thing.

Didn’t Kenneth Clarke recently propose just this. The Daily Wail went immediately into meltdown, Dave did his usual screaming U turn, slapped him down and informed the usual hang-em-and-flog-em brigade that it was business as usual

Until we’ve got politicians prepared to grow a pair and stand up to this hysterical press populism, we haven’t a chance of addressing this like grown-ups. Unfortunately we’ve got a PR bloke at the helm. Its going to get far far worse.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Bland are you a Nazi? Because your post sure as hell makes you sound like one.

binners

bland – you are Joseph Goebbels and I claim my £5 😀

hora
    Free Member

TBH the lad who was shot was a Crack Dealer. I doubt you’d show him your bike collection and hope he or his mates didn’t come back at night and rob you blind.

As for national service. I doubt it harmed anyone.

iDave
    Free Member

I think Nazis use better spelling and grammar

joolsburger
    Free Member

The percentage of the population that were involved in last nights trouble is vanishingly small, maybe 2000 people out of a population of over 6 million, yet people are wringing their hands about societies failings.

This is simply an organised crime similar to the activities of the larger football mobs in the 70’s and 80’s and should be treated as such.

It’s not fair to suggest that the inner city youth are out of control as the vast majority of Londons teens were not involved in this. The only failing of the last few days is that the police and army were not brought out in force early on to nip this in the bud and arrest those involved.

binners

TBH the lad who was shot was a Crack Dealer.

And you got that unquestioningly correct information from where exactly?

richc
    Free Member

Wohoooo! That’s the first time I’ve seen it blamed on Labour, congrats.

That’s because Hora, is a moron.

Sounds like a good sound bite, however why should they do this? If this doesn’t lead to a job/better life? All you would be doing is setting up free labour camps populated by the poorest in the community and putting the people who currently do this work out of a job.

There is absolutely no point in punishing people who don’t care, as it won’t stop/prevent these events from happening next week/month/year, all it will do is use up resources, which would be better directed at addressing the root of the problem.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Part of me agrees with this but the problem is that so many of the people who would be in that position are so unmotivated / unqualified that it would probably take too much effort and administration that it will cost even more and the work would still not get done. I think there is a place to say that even if you are not working that you can be contributing to the local community in a positive way rather than just sitting around hoovering up the benefits. The problem with anything like this is we usually end up talking in generalisations which doesn’t really help. There are a lot of people who I’m sure are genuinely frustrated at being unemployed and for some of those there will be a percentage who have been dealt a pretty rough hand. Conversely there will also be a percentage who are thick, lazy and ignorant and who have no intention at all of doing anything other than waiting for others to pay, feed and clothe them while they do precisely nothing. And this is the most frustrating group of all and the one that probably angers most of us and leads to the stronger views on what should be done with them.

BermBandit
    Free Member

In China at the moment and just picked all this up on the interweb.

Embaressing …… very very embaressing.

That is all.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

binners – Member

And welcome back to page one of this thread….

MSP

hora
    Free Member

Wohoooo! That’s the first time I’ve seen it blamed on Labour,

Here you go. Heres what building a growing economy on credit and public spending did

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Ur speeling iz embaressing.

richc
    Free Member

So Hora you disagree with the fundamental principles of Macro economics then?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It was quite interesting watching the Louis Theroux programme on Boot Camp in the states where some very serious criminal kids were offered Boot Camp or long term imprisonment.

Most took the Boot Camp route, but it didnt work for all, however they never actually mentioned %’s Maybe some folk are just too far gone and the best place for them is prison, however to be all PC they ‘deserve their Human Rights’ to try….

A system with Boot Camp could work. Those prepared to graft would get opportunbities, the dross would just get sent to some prison for the rest of their sorry lives.

hora
    Free Member

binners – Member

No your right. He was a fine upstanding citizen who just happened to carry a handgun.

enfht
    Free Member

Just when you thought you’d seen it all, looters in Ponders End Tesco’s were seen carrying their booty into the mosque 20 metres away. This is NOT hear say, it’s come from a first hand witness..

Clearly a very worrying development, are we facing the prospect of police raids and the inevitable backlash from Islamist mobs, or will the Old Bill turn a blind eye in the name of community relations?

Lifer
    Free Member

“TBH the lad who was shot was a Crack Dealer.”

Obvious, he must have bought Crack off him.

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 1,453 total)

The topic ‘Tottenham Riots’ is closed to new replies.