Home Forums Bike Forum Torridon lollipop route – is maol chean dearg detour worth it

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Torridon lollipop route – is maol chean dearg detour worth it
  • bornonaboat

Looking at the lollipop route and wondering if a detour from the Coulags climb to go over the bealach at Maol chean dearg is worth it.

Screenshot_20240820_232257_Trailforks

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’ve no idea but if you’ve enough left in the tank by that point then fair play to you. There’s a fair bit of climbing and hike a bike in the lollipop route as it is. Personally, I had a better day when I did the classic loop.

tjagain

from what I remember of walking in the area years ago I think that extra bit would be a lot of hikabike but I am not at all sure

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve done it that way. It’s hike a bike to the bealach and mostly rideable down from it but it’s not amazing riding so I wouldn’t bother doing it again.

lowey

First time I did the lollipop I carried up there. Its an ok carry, but the scree was loose so was very frustrating. It was towards the end of a long day so the midges were out and driving me mad, as had to drop the bike every now and again to wipe them off me. The descent on the other side was ok, but not stellar. I wouldnt do it again to be honest. Every other time I’ve ridden it I’ve missed it out and just gone straight up to Bealach na Lice.

chakaping

I’ve done it both ways.

It makes a longer descent back to Annat (with more vert IIRC), but as Spin said, it’s nothing special.

The other way is better, and can make a nice mini-lollipop from Annat – going left at the bottom and returning via the classic descent.

hairyscary

I’ve done pretty much all the loops and add-ons and to me the classic loop is the best.

For a big day classic loop and round the back of Coire mhic nobuil. You will struggle to hold onto your bars on the last descent ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.