Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Top speeds
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Prompted by the TDF speeds thread…

… on mountain bikes I seem unable to get over 43mph.

Over 4 different bikes this always seems to be the upper limit of what I can achieve. Combination of gradient, length of run and gearing I guess. Always spin out by low 40s, which is no surprise given the consistent gear ratios etc.

Anyone (everyone 🙁 ) else?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Best part of 60 mph on the tandem – tucked in and down a long hill

Been into the mid 40s often on the tandem and solo – all with a top gear of 36 /11 – just spin out then wait for gravity to take effect

Yo will reach a terminal velocity which depends on teh angle of the slope and how well you can tuck in.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

48 offroad mtb… scarier than i thought it would be.

rkk01
    Free Member

Yes, I know a few tandem riders who have said you can get some serious speeds going!!!

My highest recorded speed of 43.6 (70kph) was "offroad" (Skyline) on a light weight HT. That felt pretty fast!!

Can't better that with the mtb even on tarmac. The local lanes that I use to join up trail sections just don't have the "run" to them.

NZCol

Saw 102kmh on a tandem on road before I decided watching where we were going was a priority. Huge buzz.

J0N
    Free Member

52mph on a road bike. Down hill. 53/12 gears.
    No idea on the mtb.

jacko54321
    Free Member

calling keyboard warriors,

i went 100 mph backwards on a tandem once with a blindfold and cigar

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Maxed out my out computer on the road bike at 99kph in the alps once. Nothing to do with gears at that point!

Ed2001
    Free Member

This thread will soon enter the land of fantasy.

dickydutch

52mph on road bike too on a hill out in Northumberland.

stumpy01

53mph down a very steep hill in Bavaria. I could barely ride up it & it was really scary coming back down again……I was pedalling flat-out until I realised how much it would hurt if I came off on the loose gravelly surface….Got to bottom and the computer thingy was showing a max of 53mph. I was well chuffed.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Soon?

redthunder
    Free Member

41.5 mph on a mtb ht.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

probably only in the mid thirties. Dont really use a computer so dont know.

Even at those speeds i start to feel like death himself is standing over my shoulder.

IanMunro
    Free Member

84kmh once on an mtb in the alps about 20 years ago. I remember the rim brakes making some fairly horrible noises trying to slow down again.

rkk01
    Free Member

start to feel like death himself is standing over my shoulder.

Yes – there is a (psychological??) threshold speed of

"I couldn't stop now even if I needed to……."

where even gentle application of the brakes would be unwise 😮 particularly on gravel or wet tarmac

ourmaninthenorth

MTB – no idea

Road – 63mph* Holme Moss (towards Woodhead)

*According to the computer, so probably b*ll*x.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Been fast a few times but never cared enough to remember exactly how fast. Probably the fastest will have been in the Alps on the MTB and going down Greenhow Hill between Appletreewick and Pateley Bridge on the road bike – but I have always worn my baggy windproof when I have been on that route and that acts like a parachute.

But I am normally stopped from going any faster by wind drying my contacts out too much and being unable to see.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Maxed out my computer on the tandem going down a massive hill in Narnia. Think Mr Tumnus extra legs is what did it for us.

molgrips
    Free Member

50mph on a gated reservoir access road (tarmac) in Ogwen Valley on the mtb way way back (canti brakes etc).

48mph on a very steep lane near Lake Vrynwy fully laden with panniers, and with a hairpin at the bottom.

Also used to get 45mph regularly coming down from High Vinnals way back. This kind of thing was easier in the days of 46/11 gearing.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Ed2001 – Member

it did on the first reply, to be fair. 😆

joemarshall
    Free Member

On road, I've hit about 100km/h on the road bike in New Zealand.

Annoyingly, on my commute, I only really have one decent long 40mph hill, I seem pretty reliably to be able to get 68km/h, but somehow can't quite pick up the speed for 70km/h (or tuck enough to get it).

Joe

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Anyone watch the WC downhill? They hit 60+ mph through the fort bill speed traps! Gotta be scary looking at a dusty corner at 60mph with nothing to protect you except a few bits of foam and plastic……

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

They hit 60+ mph kph

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No fantasy from me flatboy. Just decent size hills. a couple of dozen witnesses to the 40+ on the solo

cynic-al
    Free Member

38mph off road and 46mph on road (poss higher touring the Pyrenees, did not have speedo on).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I did once go so fast I thought I might fall off and hurt myself a little.

lowey

Around the 50mph mark coming down from Drum mountain into Llanfairfechan.

I went past this guy with the GPS.

Scared myself shitless when I hit the brakes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Only getting late 30s on UK roads on the road bike.
    Though TBH if I'm not racing I just cruise down on the hoods.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

ive hit 110kmh on mt ventoux verified on garmin.
    Mtb i never ride with speedo…anyway its how fast you go up..anyone can go down fast.
    I got 90kmh in a bunch on a race in near bolton.

sor
    Free Member

Top speed on my old Aldi wireless cycle computer was 78mph, sadly clocked while I was sat stationary at traffic lights. Offroad, the top speed was probably when I fell off and the bike carried on down the hill.

No, I'm serious.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

47 mph on an old Marin full susser, from the Cat and Fiddle Pub back down towards the Derbyshire Bridge Car Park on the tarmac – very frightening.

soobalias
    Free Member

here is my willy, watch me wave it.

ive seen bike computers and gps units give very dodgy readings

LeeW

mastiles_fanylion – Member

But I am normally stopped from going any faster by wind drying my contacts out too much and being unable to see.

Just close your eyes – you'll be fine!

I once hit 12mph on a hill, I got scared and backed off. 😆

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I once went so fast on my Raleigh Chipper that I wore out the heels of my Clarks school shoes trying to foot brake down Aspin Park Road!!!
    😯

rkk01
    Free Member

here is my willy, watch me wave it.

ive seen bike computers and gps units give very dodgy readings

Original post wasn't intended as willy waving – just seeing if mid 40s was some sort of cap based on mtb gearing etc.

… and yes, I've seen some pretty unrealistic data on bike computers, especially wireless ones subject to interference.

On the other hand, most of the replies here are in the same ball park (for "normal" conditions) – ie mid to high 40s

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

MTB – 34mph (on a road)
    Road bike – 41mph

Both felt pretty shakey and I was convinced something (fox/cat/squirrel/rabbit) would jump out and make me fall off.

To me, 20mph feels pretty quick fully off road on technical stuff!

I'd prefer sustaining a fair average speed than going hell for leather.

footflaps

The descent into Hawes off Fleet Moss is a good one, but always loose my bottle and touch the brakes – hitting a sheep at that speed would be very painful…

molgrips
    Free Member

Well then re the OP – I used to find 45mph fairly easy, but hardly ever any more. This is because 42/11 is not as high as 46/11, and nowadays I couldn't bear the thought of wasting all my climbing by tearing down a fire-road like I used to 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

pretty sure I've breached 100km/hr (just) on a road bike (though, as folk say, bike computers aren't the most accurate speedos!), coming down Mt Stuart back home in Townsville, Australia… it's a great ride, 9km or so up hill (in two sections) and an absolute hoot to come back down, there's one 500m section with around a 30% gradient (you hit it after you're already doing 60km/hr or so, feels like the road disappears beneath you, much like a rollercoaster actually!), you can tuck right in and just let it rip… and yes, you do freak out when you suddenly remember just how badly it could all go wrong with nothing but lycra to protect you from the bitumen! Best not to think really…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Top speeds’ is closed to new replies.