Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • Top Gear Cenotaph outrage
  • Pigface
    Free Member

For Gods sake talk about storm in a tea cup. Is there a rule you can’t do anything with in X hundred meters of the Cenotaph? Defecation, copulation, menstruation?

I am no Top Gear fan either but it is just rubbish.

footflaps

The tabloids must be running out of real news….

Other than Osbourne cutting disability payments to fund a tax cut for those earning over £50k…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Yup. It’s not looking good.

Why do the Tories always have to be such moustache twirling villains?

the-muffin-man

Wars were fought for the right to do doughnuts in front of War Memorials!

…or something like that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d question why TG chose to do that in central London in the first place. Quite what significance doing doughnuts along there has to do with Carz, is beyond me.

And, well I agree with the sentiment. It’s not really the right place, nor probably the right time.

….

Edit, wait.. I know why….

Media Sprawl.

Good ploy. 🙄

Drac

Ken Block drives cars, he does stunts in cars should he just stick to Dubai?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh I see..

T’was him was it.

That explains a lot, sorry everything 🙄

martinhutch

I’m sure you could make something happening outside Westminster Abbey look close to the Cenotaph with the right long lens. This hardly even qualifies as Whitehall.

Going round various locations in London doing doughnuts in a muscle car is starting to make previous series look cerebral, though. Does feel a bit like some desperate marketing

wilburt
    Free Member

Poor decision, not surprising though the format is old hat and Evans a knob.

mrhoppy

If you want a peaceful memorial planting it in a road seems to defeat the point somewhat.

And as for wing commander, admiral, general whatisface saying that the film crew could never give what those who died did, kind of ignores the fact that the majority were normal people who volunteered/were conscripted, so it’s only a matter of fortunate timing that prevents that. It’s an easy cheap shot that can’t be backed up or answered back.

footflaps

I’d question why TG chose to do that in central London in the first place. Quite what significance doing doughnuts along there has to do with Carz, is beyond me.

It’s their biggest selling franchise overseas, so they need lots of well known landmarks so people vaguely recognise it. Same reason they picked Matt LeBlanc…

martinhutch

The Cenotaph would make a livelier presenter than Matt LeBlanc.

Drac

Yup I thought the same MrHoppy.

chubstr
    Free Member

Most popular story on the BBC website

Isn’t the cenotaph a memorial to those who dies fighting for our freedom? As ridiculous as it sounds, doing donuts in a mustang is one of those freedoms.

In other words…..who really cares?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Car drives on Road shocker!

Meh.

binners

I’m only surprised the tabloids haven’t managed to somehow blame the EU, and had a picture of Boris, photoshopped to look like Winston Churchill saying how all this will stop once we leave

They’re slacking

clodhopper
    Free Member

“I’m sure you could make something happening outside Westminster Abbey look close to the Cenotaph with the right long lens. This hardly even qualifies as Whitehall.”

And that pic isn’t of Westminster Abbey. 😆

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

The media always use the phrase “Outrage as Top Gear….” hang on a sec.. are you reporting outrage, or trying to create it? Given the tweet was at 5am, would anyone even have noticed if the final clip and been edited so it didn’t show the Cenotaph? Are they deciding for us whether we’re outraged?

Anyway, I like the way a sole cyclist has somehow got passed the road block in that pic.

traildog
    Free Member

I’d question why TG chose to do that in central London in the first place.

Isn’t there a film of that car bombing round LA? I guess a well paid media person who is highly talented might come up with the amazing idea of doing something similar but in London – how incredible would that be? What awesome tv that would be…

Considering Clarkson used to plow up delicate landscapes in a 4×4, a few wheel spins in London seems like a huge fuss about nothing.

munrobiker
    Free Member

How much time has to pass before we get over a war that happened getting on for a hundred years ago? The UK’s morbid fascination with the two world wars is really unsettling, my wife’s American and they just don’t get it. There’s been almost a century of things going on since then.

It’s just another building in London, it’ll make for fun viewing.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“Isn’t the cenotaph a memorial to those who dies fighting for our freedom? As ridiculous as it sounds, doing donuts in a mustang is one of those freedoms.”

It isn’t a ‘freedom’, it’s a privilege enjoyed only by people involved in the filming of that scene, which I imagine took a lot of negotiating and planning to make happen. I’m pretty sure that if Joe Bloggs rocked up in his Citroen Saxo and started tearing about the place, he’d quickly be given a stern talking to. Or maybe shot.

But your next question is valid:

“who really cares?”

gobuchul
    Free Member

The UK’s morbid fascination with the two world wars is really unsettling, my wife’s American and they just don’t get it.

Really?

That’s completely different from my experience with Americans.

They are obsessed with veterans of all kinds. Every 3rd advert on the TV seems to offer services for veterans, finance, insurance car purchase etc.

The military is much more central to their culture than it is to ours.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If this daft stunt has only one outcome: that some chav is inspired to wrap his mums fiesta round a lamp-post, it won’t have been wasted.

footflaps

The UK’s morbid fascination with the two world wars is really unsettling, my wife’s American and they just don’t get it.

They have Vietnam and Korea to hand wring about…..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Our chaps were in Korea too you know. I think our government at the time tried to keep it quiet. I have an interest – my uncle is buried there.

(edit) wasn’t it a UN operation?

epicyclo

slowoldgit – Member
    If this daft stunt has only one outcome: that some chav is inspired to wrap his mums fiesta round a lamp-post, it won’t have been wasted.

I like your thinking. 🙂

It’s a version of Darwin invented motorbikes* extreme sports to cull the idiots out of our bloodlines.

*modernised it. 🙂

Drac

Yes that’s exactly what’ll happen. No, it won’t.

Northwind

Rather like the apology tbh. My bold…

It doesn’t matter what actually happened, it doesn’t matter what the circumstances were that could explain this away, w]hat is important about this is what these images [blook like[/b] and they look entirely disrespectful which is not and would never be the intention of the Top Gear team or Matt (LeBlanc).

“On behalf of the Top Gear team and Matt, I would like to apologise unreservedly for what these images seem to portray. “

What a load of shit. And Richard Kemp, angry soldier for hire…

gobuchul – Member

They are obsessed with veterans of all kinds. Every 3rd advert on the TV seems to offer services for veterans, finance, insurance car purchase etc.

That’s because they have a lot of them and the services and government don’t look after them very well, leaving lots of room to ambulance humvee chase

Cougar

I’m sure you could make something happening outside Westminster Abbey look close to the Cenotaph with the right long lens.

If Chris Evans’ “apology” on the radio this morning is to be believed, that’s exactly what happened.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh FFS – why exactly is this disrespectful? Is there a map somewhere which shows all the places you need to be respectful to and the radius within which having fun is unacceptable? It’s hardly as if they’re making racist comments or cutting up cyclists. Pandering to the professionally offended.

footflaps

I think they missed a trick here, surely Matt LeBlanc is technically an immigrant?

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s just a piece of road, not some sacred burial ground.

Plus, it was agreed in advance with Westmister Council what would happen and where. So if people want to moan about it, they should be moaning to them ?

P-Jay
    Free Member

This New, New Top Gear isn’t going to survive it’s first series, it seems the media world is out to jump on any tiny little thing – so they did something, near something – they hardly ran over a Chelsea Pensioner – sounds like a stitch up to me.

Klunk
    Free Member

I think they missed a trick here, surely Matt LeBlanc is technically an immigrant

he’s earning considerable more than £35,000 pa so he’ll be OK.

footflaps

he’s earning considerable more than £35,000 pa so he’ll be OK.

OK, how about:

“tax avoiding, muslim sympathising immigrant in Princess Diana Cenotaph disrespect wheel spin orgy”

spekkie
    Free Member

There was a good chance that TG would not survive the loss of all three presenters. (Whether you like them or not). Que “there is no such thing as bad publicity” (not quite true I know) stunt, and here we are now talking about what could equally have been a defunct program.

Marketing.

aracer
    Free Member

Oh you cynic you!

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I can’t believe all the professional whingers have fallen for it again, the top gear publicity team must be wetting themselves laughing! Why promote something when you can get someone else to do it for you 😉

There’s far worse things going on in the world today, the way people are going on about it you’d think he’d whipped his knob out and pissed all over it 😆

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Sometimes music gets played on the radio months in advance of it being released. By the time you can actually buy it, the risk is you’re actually bored of it already.

This, I fear, is the way it’s going with me and Top Gear.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’s not even a real baby kangaroo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear Cenotaph outrage’ is closed to new replies.