Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Top Gear Cenotaph outrage
  • slowoldman

But, but… I thought Clarkson was to blame for all that outrageous behaviour.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It isn’t a ‘freedom’, it’s a privilege enjoyed only by people involved in the filming of that scene, which I imagine took a lot of negotiating and planning to make happen. I’m pretty sure that if Joe Bloggs rocked up in his Citroen Saxo and started tearing about the place, he’d quickly be given a stern talking to. Or maybe shot.

The thing is they couldn’t just roll up and juat start filming this. There’d have been weeks/months of written in triplicate documents to various governmental/police/H&S offices so someone somewhere in a high place decided it was okay to do.

Nice bit of free publicity to get the old Top Gear viewers salivating. Certainly now Chris Evans has been told off for flogging his Channel Four show too much on Radio 2. Suppose that only leave BBC News to have a 30 minute ‘interview’/preview to promote it now.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

It’s absurd. I’m no fan of Top Gear, but come on. It’s not in some garden of silence. It’s by a road that, presumably, people do all sorts of other things on that are ‘disrespectful’, if that is taken to mean anything other than the kind of thing that goes on Armistice Day.

And as for wing commander, admiral, general whatisface saying that the film crew could never give what those who died did, kind of ignores the fact that the majority were normal people who volunteered/were conscripted, so it’s only a matter of fortunate timing that prevents that. It’s an easy cheap shot that can’t be backed up or answered back.

+1

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

They missed a trick, not using a German car.

The tabloids thinking Matt LePlanc was driving offends me more.

project
    Free Member

soon to be ex chancellor also complained about the noise, and says he was working at the weekend, obviously after some top gear freebies for christmas presents.

kimbers

Deliberate and calculated PR to try and remind everyone that new top gear will be just as ‘edgy’ as old top gear.

Loveable buffoon Miranda filmed some of her TV show at Brentford library right next to the local war memorial her brand of slapstick comedy seems no more out of place than Leblanc ragging his muscle car at the memorial a few miles away and no fuss was made then

woodster

Deeply concerning.

Ken Block doing gratuitous donuts everywhere is well passed its sell-by-date.

zanelad
    Free Member

I think it’s people having a go at the ginger whinger. The three original presenters didn’t seem to divide opinion like Evans does.

What we’d accept from them we won’t from that Joey oik and the replacement crew.

Free the Top Gear Three……..

I’m off me meds again 😛

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I don’t know what the story is about, who did it, why or where, but I’ll not let that get in the way, I AM OUTRAGED!!!

epicyclo

kimbers – Member
    Deliberate and calculated PR to try and remind everyone that new top gear will be just as ‘edgy’ as old top gear…

This.

Trouble is there’s a difference between carefully crafted buffoonery and being an arse.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Other than Osbourne cutting disability payments to fund a tax cut for those earning over £50k..

@footflaps
    the average family has a household income of £65k (source IFS) – whats your point ?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Another load of spin for the morons to be “outraged” by.

scaredypants

@footflaps the average family has a household income of £65k (source IFS) – whats your point ?

it’s personal earnings, rather than household aggregate that ff is talking about, I imagine

downgrade
    Free Member

From the Guardian article

“A spokesman for Top Gear said images taken by paparazzi made it look like the filming took place closer than it did in reality. He said all scenes were shot around 40 metres away from the memorial.”

I mean come on, 40m it’s hardly even in the same postcode…

dragon
    Free Member

It’s just stupid though why do it?

The fact it is Ken Block and his pointless world of donuts is well depressing. Should be told to **** off.

Northwind

downgrade – Member

I mean come on, 40m it’s hardly even in the same postcode…

Since the news outlets made an effort to make it look closer than it actually was, obviously they thought it made a difference to the effectiveness of their story…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My grandad didn’t nail jesus to a cross so that Diana could marry a little Hitler from romania and the could claim benefits from hard working families in broken Britain with a fiscally responsible faceless beauraucrat in Luxembourg and single parent families all in their pslces paid for by people who’ve worked all tjir lives to build a Britain free from health and safety and put on a pedestal by sex perverts and out of control teenagers roaming the streets all high on poppers they’ve scored off Tory ministers and wearing england flags and its not even st Georges day who’s Turkish and they’re coming in the EU the buggers cos were coming out and a good job too.

I’m 39, you know.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Agree.
    If it was rememberance Sunday then fair point. But at the moment it’s a piece of rock – get over it.

I spent much of the ages of 17-18 going sideways in an XR2i round the war memomrial in my home town. That didn’t make the papers.

bensales
    Free Member

I spent much of the ages of 17-18 going sideways in an XR2i round the war memomrial in my home town. That didn’t make the papers.

And that’s what General Stick Up His Arse is forgetting in the original piece. The lads and lasses of the same age who are remembered on the Cenotaph would have mostly laughed their socks off to see that car doing what it did and enjoyed the sight of it. Just because someone is dead for a particular reason, doesn’t mean you should forget the person they were when they were alive, and only remember the reason they died.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

just because someone is dead for a particular reason, doesn’t mean you should forget the person they were when they were alive, and only remember the reason they died.

A really valuable point. (and much better put than me!)

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Who’s outraged again? Is it just the Daily Mail?

Northwind

I think I’m outraged at the outrage.

JulianA
    Free Member

thestabiliser – Member
    My grandad didn’t nail jesus to a cross so that Diana could marry a little Hitler from romania and the could claim benefits from hard working families in broken Britain with a fiscally responsible faceless beauraucrat in Luxembourg and single parent families all in their pslces paid for by people who’ve worked all tjir lives to build a Britain free from health and safety and put on a pedestal by sex perverts and out of control teenagers roaming the streets all high on poppers they’ve scored off Tory ministers and wearing england flags and its not even st Georges day who’s Turkish and they’re coming in the EU the buggers cos were coming out and a good job too.

I’m 39, you know.

Post of the year 2016!

PrinceJohn

From Ken Block’s instagram

Hung out with this squad here in London today. Great group of guys, all petrolheads that loved checking the Hoonicorn out! Oh, and no one seemed to be offended by this morning’s false tabloid accusations. They’re smarter than that.

With him pictured next to a load of army chaps

revs1972
    Free Member

soon to be ex chancellor also complained about the noise, and says he was working at the weekend, obviously after some top gear

There FTFY

konabunny
    Free Member

Isn’t the cenotaph a memorial to those who dies fighting for our freedom? As ridiculous as it sounds, doing donuts in a mustang is one of those freedoms.

That’s silly

CountZero

How much time has to pass before we get over a war that happened getting on for a hundred years ago? The UK’s morbid fascination with the two world wars is really unsettling, my wife’s American and they just don’t get it. There’s been almost a century of things going on since then.

Yeah, and they lost every one of them, or ended with a no-score draw.

PrinceJohn

Yeah, and they lost every one of them, or ended with a no-score draw.

Pretty sure every way ends with a no score draw unless you’re a weapons manufacturer.

aracer
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35800187

I was getting all outraged at them caving in reading the headline, but then worked out what they were actually saying – cleverly put!

wwaswas

I think David Coburn MEP has it nailed;

MSP

I think David Coburn MEP has it nailed;

No he really doesn’t, in fact he has got it completely wrong, this isn’t a complaint by those who normally get labelled as the pc brigade and the permanently offended, it is the war whores complaining, those who think death in a lonely muddy field far from your loved ones is glorious and should be worshipped. And this war worship should be used to oppress modern freedoms and liberties.

epicyclo

The real obscenity is the reason for the existence of the Cenotaph.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Deliberate and calculated PR to try and remind everyone that new top gear will be just as ‘edgy’ as old top gear.

Doesn’t need to be deliberate. Having Ken Block do his donuts around London seems like a pretty obvious thing for Top Gear to do, and there’s no point doing that if it’s not round the good bits. I don’t think anyone would have had to go out of their way to make sure that at some point they would be in the vicinity of something that demands more ‘respect’.

That said I’m sure they’re quite happy with the publicity.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Top Gear Cenotaph outrage’ is closed to new replies.