Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Top coaching tip from last night's ride…
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

..if you see the front QR is sticking out a bit far, get off the bike and use your hand to press it back into place. DO NOT try to be a smartarse and kick it back or your foot may miss on the second tap and proceed into your front wheel, thus assisting you to perform a graceful OTB and removing all the skin from your knee.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb!
    Anyone else had a stupid, self inflicted crash recently?

Ouch!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Never attempt to hold the bars with your arms crossed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fingers are not an effective way of stopping brake rotors

not a crash admittedly but provides at least as much as blood as a good crash

klumpy
    Free Member

Good coaching coaching tip (sic).

Don’t tell a nervous rider “just stay loose and let the bike do the work and it’ll be fine” then immediately go straight over the bars.

weeksy

hahahaha genius !!! nice..

timnwild

Rotate the sharp ends of your clipped zipties INTO the bike, BEFORE slashing your inner calf like a pathetic miniature episode of Dexter.

Yak

that’s the sort of thing I usually do 🙂

Most similar was on a first ride with a nice new wheelset. The front mech was mucky and jamming a little, so I thought i’d help it along with my foot on a nice fast bit of downhill. Obviously I slipped then jammed my foot in the back wheel, which threw me off the seat, and part onto the ground, whilst the bike still stayed upright-ish. I ground to a halt many metres later to the sound of spoke after spoke snapping on my jammed foot. Knee, back and sides were grazed to bits and my foot had lots of deep red lines cut into it.

that’ll learn me…

DT78
    Free Member

I was riding last night, bike felt a bit skittish over roots so I thought hmmm must have put a bit too much air in the front tyre. Lent down and went to feel how firm it was. Whilst still moving…..

tomhoward

I heard of a guy that did a similar thing with his feet while driving and bored in traffic. He wondered how easy it would be if you crossed your legs and drove (left foot on the accelerator etc).

The resulting stoved in front bumber and awkward call to the insurance co indicate it’s trickier than first anticipated.

Dont try this at home kids….

cardo

Yep on the way to the ride meeting point, carrying a bag with spare clothes in for the journey home in my mates car… Got my foot caught in the long strap that is supposed to go around your shoulder/back whilst the hand strap was on the end of my bars… cue one very quick lurch of the bike to the left and me to the right.. I had travelled all of 100 metres from my house.

ell_tell
    Free Member

+ 1 and if you do don’t try to brake othwerwise you will definitely go OTB.

spacemonkey

Is your armchair made of car tyres?

weeksy

You seen that video where blokey lifts and lowers the seat using the QR and wedging between his legs….

Don’t try that in Lanzarote with a hire bike and especially if the levers are reversed so you end up pulling the front brake and going right over the bars when it all goes pear shaped…

funkrodent

spacemonkey – Member

Hmmm. Judging by the carpet, that photo was actually taken in my gran’s house. We need answers.. 🙂

funkrodent

On the stupid crash note. Approached a table top way too fast, followed by my mate, with the mindset “I’ll show him how it’s done properly!”

If showing him how its done properly involves clearing the jump upside down, landing on head, chipping teeth, breaking hand and putting a bloody great hole in my knee, then I can declare the manoeuvre a resounding success…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Haha I do unclamp the seat-qr to lower the seat while moving, but only if the approach is wide and smooth.

My tip is to check your suspension is turned-on BEFORE the big descent.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

funkrodent – Member

spacemonkey – Member

Hmmm. Judging by the carpet, that photo was actually taken in my gran’s house. We need answers..

Cheeky young scamps, if I could get out of this chair you’d get a clip round the ear, never did me any harm. Pardon!

dantsw13

Bunny hopping down the hill for a ride meet-up, the cheapy Chinese battery bag straps break, battery falls into back wheel, explodes, Big Bang, lights go out, pitch black, wobble into the grass verge!!! Hero to zero in 2 secs!!

ska-49
    Free Member

Don’t try and clean the stantion whilst cycling. The gap between the tyre and lowers is small…

Cougar

Not MTB but,

Went climbing at an indoor wall; had a really good session, nailed some tricky stuff and was feeling dead proud of myself. Came to leave, picked up my rucksack, turned and went for a burton as the edge of the crash mat crumpled underfoot. Landed with all my weight (+ gear) on one knee on the hardwood floor, and twisted my ankle for good measure. Couldn’t walk properly for days.

Bloody safety equipment.

JoeG
    Free Member

Anything that follows me saying “watch this” … 😆

ononeorange

Aaaaahhhhhh thanks guys – now I just have to try the arms crossed thing with inevitable results. Why have I never thought of it before?!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Top coaching tip from last night's ride…’ is closed to new replies.