Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Toolbox wars (amatuer league)
  • richmtb

I got a new toolbox for Christmas – it wasn’t something I really needed but stopped the wife pestering me when I told her i didn’t need anything for Xmas.

Anyway, having admired some of the stuff on instagram that pro bike mechanics put together I though I’d have a go myself.

null
    Not finished yet, there are a couple of drawers below, one will have a chain whip and pedal wrench and pedal wrench. I’ll probably add pliers to the first shelf and an adjustable spanner to the second one.

I used Shadow Foam, it was about £20 for a single sheet of 30mm depth foam that was enough for the whole toolbox. Cutting the foam is quite therapeutic, but you need a really sharp blade.

SirHC

Tidy job that.

Some think its madness, but prefer everything to have its place, rather than floating around, you know when tools are missing as there is an empty space.

My effort, going to redo it with 30mm foam, lots of wasted space in there.

dirkpitt74

@richmtb tidy job that.
    What tool box is that? I could do with something better than just a box.

misteralz
    Free Member

I’ve got an old folding Hazet Assistent. Nowhere near as tidy as that, though!

richmtb

Tidy Sir HC

Some think its madness, but prefer everything to have its place, rather than floating around, you know when tools are missing as there is an empty space.

This is why I own 3 cassette tools. When I really needed one it had mysteriously vanished, only to miraculously reappear after I bought another one, twice!

@dirkpitt74

Its an X-tool 3 drawer tool box
    CRC Link

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

sir hc – what box is that? I need something similar – and where do you get the foam? looks awesome I always have all my tools in car with me so would be nice to have something similar instead of tipping bags all over the ground to find the tool im after

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

or even does any brand make something similar ready to go?

richmtb

Abbey Tools make one – its one of ideas I copied.

Its only $1,350

Abbey Tools Team Issue

matt_outandabout

Mines a little more
    null

SirHC

sir hc – what box is that? I need something similar – and where do you get the foam? looks awesome I always have all my tools in car with me so would be nice to have something similar instead of tipping bags all over the ground to find the tool im after

Peli 1500

Foam is from https://www.efoam.co.uk/

Or https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CGHWD73/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AFMRGSR0H7EX&psc=1

johnw1984
    Free Member

Had a tidy up with all my tools over Christmas, but they’re still all over the place. I need a low cost solution regarding a toolbox with drawers.

Could do with some foam so I can sort out what tools to ditch and what I need to buy to complete my set.

Inspiration is appreciated 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

With the shadowfoam, I can understand the cutting out round the tools, but how do you cut the bottom out nicely for large items like the wera hexkeys? Also what’s stopping you cutting all the way through the 30mm sheet?

senorj

Matt outandabout needs a link for foam ball suppliers. 🙂
    I also have a similar “system”.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Matts system looks fine.

richmtb

@Rik

It takes a bit of practice, the sheet of shadow foam comes with a scalpel. Once you’ve cut the outline you tease back the foam with you fingers and sort of cut underneath then do the same from the other side, hopefully the cuts meet.

There is nothing stopping you cutting all the way through!

FB-ATB

have 2 sheets of foam- cut all the way through one and then stick it to the full sheet!

bikerevivesheffield

I am looking for a tool wrap to take with me in the car for full tool kit (s) as a mobile mechanic. It’s ok using my tool box but would save time looking through the box and be more orgaised.
    Anyone recommend any wraps?

crazyjenkins01

Keeping an eye on this, might have a go myself!

tjagain

My solution. Very poor photo and a couple more of the magnetic racks cannot be seen
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2icTXUj]IMG_1268[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

richmtb

@Sir HC
    What have you used for the lid of your case?

I’ve got room to do the same in mine and it would be ideal for lighter stuff like my shock pump and tyre levers

greenskin
    Free Member

Here’s my work in progress. Got the pliers, cutters to fit in the second tray. Then do the lid insert with magnetic tool strips. I have this which is mostly for working on the bike in the cellar.

I have a small travel kit of odds and odds that works for out the back of the car. My carry on the bike is and EDC and the rest fits in my evoc fanny pack.

drnosh
    Free Member

I used to make transit cases for shipping electronic equipment.

Heres the trick.

Make a paper pattern with the tool positions cut out.
    Use masking tape to lightly tack the paper pattern in place.
    Get an old hacksaw blade (Never throw blades away, even blunt or broken ones – Will always make a knife or scraper).
    Grind one long edge to a knife edge.
    Grind one short edge to a knife edge and with a point.
    Use the point to pierce the foam, and cut right through the foam block with the long blade. Be careful to keep it vertical.
    (Useful to use something like a B&D Workmate with the jaws a little open then the blade can pass ‘right’ through).
    Pull out the cut out piece.
    How deep do you want the tool to sit in the foam?
    Cut the cut out piece to suit. eg. Foam is 60mm thick. You want the tool to sit 20 mm into the foam so its flush with the top, then cut 20mm off the back of the cut out piece.
    Replace into the opening and with the original foam finish up, leaving your cut side hidden below out of sight.
    Professional.

(Back to the hacksaw blade. I have a small piece in the on bike took kit, sharpened to a knife edge, used for trimming the excess of an inserted bacon strip in a tubeless tyre).

SirHC

What have you used for the lid of your case?

Sheet of 5mm mdf for now, can move things around, some bits I will be moving from the bottom 9f the box to the lid and vice versa.

greenskin
    Free Member

@drnosh, that’s the Sealey easy-peel foam, Shadowfoam do something similar, makes the job so much easier.

jimdubleyou

You have inspired me. Ordered a new fancy toolbox and some shadow foam (easy peel) today.

That’s Sunday sorted…

andrewh
    Free Member

Not finished yet, there are a couple of drawers below, one will have a chain whip and pedal wrench and pedal wrench.

Sounds like overkill, pedal wrenches aren’t left/right-specific, you should be OK with just the one for both sides
    What’s happened to the quotes?

wzzzz
    Free Member

I use ikea cutlery drawer trays in my drawer unit

£2

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/stoedja-cutlery-tray-white-00177225/

keeps everything grouped and very little wasted space or faff with foam.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I got a Pedros box,
    https://pedros.com/products/tools/tool-kits-and-sets/master-tool-kit-3-1/
    Found it pretty good easy to use at events, if I was just working on one bike so to speak, I would prob cut down the tools I take and some foam tray tool cut out type thing.

I think Ben Cathro did a little vid on tool box, tidy/foam etc

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Alpha1653

Just today I have acquired a Peli 1500 and was wondering what I could use it for. This thread is fate!

greenskin
    Free Member

Finished mine tonight. Glue on trays is curing so i’ll post up a pic of the finished article tomorrow.

Peli 1550 (cheers QM’s) – Single sheet of Sealey Easy Peel Linky – some plywood – black sticky vinyl. Job jobbed.

greenskin
    Free Member

Cancel that, can’s sleep so went to potter about, here it is, the only thing I’ll put in tomorrow is my Loose Riders bottle opener. But other than that it’s done.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Looks good green skin.

Joshua is a great name for a baby btw…

greenskin
    Free Member

@Joshvegas thanks. Literally no idea what that link is there!

Alpha1653

Green skin – that might be where my Peli’s coming from too 🤣

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just saw this for anyone who doesn’t want pay Pelican prices
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0772QFB5Y?aaxitk=zJE2X-MAsAZtrzILzCYACw

SirHC

You can pick up peli cases on eBay pretty cheap, condition can vary. Found with the cheaper ones the plastic can be pretty plasticky, peli ones are super tough

greenskin
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a matter of shopping around, or find someone who works with a lot of them. Usually some excess that can be redistributed….

Pyro

Late to the part, but lockdown meant I actually got round to sorting my toolbox out (and having a bloody good sort through the garage while I was at it…). This is the ‘chuck in the car for a day/weekend away riding’ box, I’ve got a second case with the bigger, more rarely used tools (bearing puller/press, bleed kits, crown race remover etc) that will likely stay unsorted. This plus a track pump and a prep stand should cover about 95% of what crops up on an average riding weekend.

Magnusson small parts toolbox was cheap from B&Q about a year ago. Normally has two dividers and 6 ‘pots’ down the sides – stripped one divider out and put foam in to fill about 3/4 of the space. Left the second divider in to have a general space for spares – tubes, brake pads, lube, sealant etc, in the ‘pots’ if I want them or just loose. Even with the pots in, chain whip and pedal spanner fit down the sides of the divider.

null

duncancallum

Those who want a roll I have this for when I travel with my bike

Tool roll

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Toolbox wars (amatuer league)’ is closed to new replies.