• This topic has 46 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by LMT.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Too early for Hayfever
  • footflaps

Went our riding yesterday for 5 hours, nose was running the whole time.

Seems a bit early to me – anyone else?

jonba
    Free Member

where in the world are you. I know my sister in Essex was complaining of this a few days ago.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/19103393.pollen-bomb-set-explode-across-essex-weekend/

footflaps

Cambridgeshire, although we were riding in Essex / Herts…

Started on hay fever pills yesterday (after the ride)…..

konagirl
    Free Member

Not too early at all. It’s alder / hazel at this time of year. Birch hasn’t really started yet. If you get it into the summer you’ll also be allergic to grass. Maps of pollen forecasts for different pollens and total risk

footflaps

I always get it early on and then it stops, which I seem to recall is tree pollen. Still, Feb does seem a bit early (to me)….

footflaps

Maps of pollen forecasts for different pollens and total risk

Interesting – Alder pollen all over the South East….

very cool website.

IdleJon

Still, Feb does seem a bit early (to me)….

See konagirl’s post. Things are procreating in the woods. Mainly alder and hazel, which seem to live on every bit of rough ground around here.

LMT
    Free Member

Midlands based and the itchy eyes started over a week ago….

Had to take the train earlier 30 mins with a face covering was torture, sneezing and eyes just streaming and that’s after a tablet.

I’ve had it earlier a couple of years ago, just hoping I can resist rubbing my eyes so far so good..

willard

It’s never too early for it. Could be anything that has set you off, maybe a tree got into bug early or something.

I just checked out the office window and there are no signs of green yet in the city, but the cold will make my nose run anyway.

bigginge

If antihistamine tablets aren’t helping see if you can get your hands on one of the fluticasone nasal sprays. I think you can get pirinase from the supermarket or something like Dymista on prescription from the GP. I normally suffer pretty badly and found the Dynista to be a big step up over anything else I’ve ever tried to stop my hay fever when I had some last year. I should probably be seeing if I can get some more now

LMT
    Free Member

I’ve got hayfever tablets on repeat prescription, I’ve got 2 dymista from last year I managed to get a couple extra by complaining in the summer but doctor advised me nhs would no longer do these unless I went to a nose clinic…so only over the counter stuff once I run out as no chance of a referral with covid going on.

teadrinker
    Free Member

not to early at all. Mine started mid jan and yep in Essex I can confirm last weekend and this week was awful!

BillOddie

Itchy eyes in Leicestershire a couple of days ago.  Glad I’m not the only one…

Tom-B
    Free Member

I was wondering this. Was really bad last week, but we moved house so wondered if it was dust related. I **** hate hayfever….after it being so bad last year that I woke up on consecutive nights unable to breath, I did finally get some decent medicine and an inhaler from the doctor, so hopefully I’ll be able to manage it better this year.

johndrummer
    Free Member

A warning for those using steroidal nasal sprays such as Beconase, as I’ve been doing for about the last ten years or so.

Read the small print very very carefully. ‘In very rare cases…May cause cataracts’

I’m having cataract surgery next week (right eye) and again in three weeks (left eye).
    I’m 56, which is very early for cataracts. Surgeon says the cataract in my right eye is typical of steroid use. I wasn’t aware that I was using steroids until I read up afterwards.
    Go figure

simon_g

I’ve had itchy eyes and been sneezy this week. Thought it might be dust or something but I guess hayfever is plausible. Back on the Benadryl and stocking up for the coming months…

corroded
    Free Member

Yep, definitely hayfever. I had sore eyes and streaming nose after my ride this week. Earliest that I recall. I never used to get hayfever, only as I’ve aged in the last few years. I’ve never tried any treatment for it either – what’s the go-to medication? I’m vaguely aware of Piriton?!

johndrummer
    Free Member

Cetirizine Hydrochloride or Loratidine tablets are readily available from pharmacy or supermarket. Go for generic/ own brand rather than branded, cheap as chips

Piriton is still available but makes me drowsy so I try to avoid it

5plusn8
    Free Member

not to early at all. Mine started mid jan and yep in Essex I can confirm last weekend and this week was awful!

Mid Jan for me too in west Sussex.
    I also get secondary nut allergy which is a sign you are allergic to tree pollen.
    I’d pay deeply to get rid of it.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Not too early for some of us lucky peeps.

I normally start with Hazel late Jan then progress into Birch.
    I also have the joy of being allergic to most fruits as a result.
    Will guarantee that some of the lucky people who have responded have Oral Allergy syndrome (or one of the other names for it as well)… and some don’t know they have it.

https://www.chkd.org/patients-and-families/health-library/way-to-grow/oral-allergy-syndrome/

footflaps

Cetirizine Hydrochloride or Loratidine tablets are readily available from pharmacy or supermarket. Go for generic/ own brand rather than branded, cheap as chips

I just bulk buy Loratadine from Amazon, 8 months worth is about £6 IIRC, whereas Boots will sell one month’s worth for about £15….

mudmuncher

Started with hayfever symptoms a couple of days ago.

Funnily enough I was just wondering if having hayfever might protect you against covid – if your immune system has gone into overdrive in your nose/throat etc.

timmys

Piriton is still available but makes me drowsy so I try to avoid it

Piriton is Cetirizine so will also make you drowsy – I think you probably know that but wasn’t clear.

I used to fall asleep at my desk at work on cetirizine, which why i stick to Loratidine now!

dudeofdoom

Trees innit.. there’s always a tree somewhere doing it’s pollen thang

I use STW ‘Tired’s brew Avamys 🙂 but it’s a prescription jobbie.
    (May be similar to what bigginge has said)

I used to have a miserable time with tree and other allergies and had a prick test :-).

Which got me onto Avamys which is just great.

fettlin

Yep, Midlands here and my eyes have been itching like a goodun for a couple of weeks.

I second ordering your meds online though, I can get enough for myself and the Mrs along with allergy eye drops to last a couple of months and still have change out of £25 delivered from Chemist Direct.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Probably helps I’ve not been out much recently, but then I’m not sure which tree pollen triggers my hayfever, regardless I ordered 6 months of tablets for £3.30 earlier thanks to HotUKDeals.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Oral Allergy syndrome

If you google secondary nut allergy, you get nothing. I’ll defer.
    My Doctor called it that, but oral allergy syndrome appears to be the accepted nomenclature.

johndrummer
    Free Member

I just googled Piriton: “Piriton tablets and syrup contain the active ingredient chlorphenamine maleate. Chlorphenamine is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine, so-called because it can make you feel sleepy. “

Not cetirizine then

footflaps

it can make you feel sleepy.

Very person dependant, I’m immune to antihistamines drowsiness which is a bummer on long haul flights as others can just knock themselves out with a couple. I can take a whole packet and stay wide awake all night. I have to resort to prescription sleeping pills and they’re not that effective either…

Eyepic
    Free Member

5plusn8

My nut allergy is mostly for unroasted nuts… apparently when heated there is an enzyme (or something) which becomes denatured no problems… not roasted ..vomit city.

Started with Hazel nuts and then progressed as I got older.

Now loads of Fruit, Nuts, Veg and Spices.

Pain in the bum.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I thought I was developing a cold but didn’t actually feel crap so hay fever it is. Possibly the earliest in the year I’ve ever had it.
    Im in Bucks.

timmys

I just googled Piriton: “Piriton tablets and syrup contain the active ingredient chlorphenamine maleate. Chlorphenamine is a type of medicine called a sedating antihistamine, so-called because it can make you feel sleepy. “

Not cetirizine then

Yep, you’re right! I even Googled myself to check before posting but misread. It is Piriteze which is cetirizine.

tekp2
    Free Member

Started on the fexofenadine on Tuesday after a few days of watering eyes. London.

5plusn8
    Free Member

My nut allergy is mostly for unroasted nuts… apparently when heated there is an enzyme (or something) which becomes denatured no problems… not roasted ..vomit city.

Started with Hazel nuts and then progressed as I got older.

Now loads of Fruit, Nuts, Veg and Spices.

Pain in the bum.

We must be related. This me exactly re nuts and fruit.
    Which veg and which spices? I had not thought about spices, but lots are nut related. Arse.

Re cetirizine and drowsiness:
    1) If you want to sleep they really help, but I find them fine to take in the day.
    2) I now take them at bedtime anyway so any effects are beneficial.
    3) I’ve forgotten to take mine tonight, that’s why I’m [posting at 02:31.

rOcKeTdOg

Started taking antihistimine for tree pollen allergies last week. I always suffer from now until the blossom season is over in May otherwise

MoreCashThanDash

I never used to get hayfever, only as I’ve aged in the last few years.

I’m not aware I have hayfever but the last few days my nose has been runny, not in a snotty cold way, and my eyes a bit itchy.

I’ve known a few people develop it with age, might be joining them

LMT
    Free Member

Those using fexofendine do you find it doesn’t last the day? First year it did but last few years I’ve got 8hrs before getting symptoms again, resorting to taking a supermarket hayfever tablet later in the day, dr has said that’s normal when I asked him last year.

onewheelgood

I’m not aware I have hayfever but the last few days my nose has been runny

This. Went for a ride yesterday and found that I had become a mobile snot factory. No other symptoms, so probably not a cold. All the hazel around here is carrying an impressive quantity of catkins, so I’m guessing that’s the cause.

Rich_s

Something just clicked in my head because it this thread. Hope you all don’t mind being asked, but I’d like some advice about this. Couple of days ago I opened eldest’s bedroom window during the day, and mine too, and he woke up during that night sneezing for a good 5 mins. The following morning, I couldn’t stop sneezing.

Always assumed I needed to hoover and dust a bit better, which does seem to help, but I’m now thinking that we both have hayfever of some description. We have birch immediately around the house which seems to fit with what a few are saying. But how can we work out what it is?

Anecdotally, about 20 years back I remember being on a uni residential thing in a pine forest by Loch Lomond for a few days. Eyes and nose streaming. Jumped in a car, and by the time we’d driven to Newcastle I was fine.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Too early for Hayfever’ is closed to new replies.