Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • TomTom vs Garmin which is best?
  • Special_ized_Jamie

Need a sat nav ideally around the £100-125 mark.

Options are Garmin Nuvi 250W or the Tomtom One XL.

I use a Mac if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Garmin for a couple years now. It’s the cheapo i3 I think it’s called. It’s not bad, and it gets me to my destination, but sometimes the route-finding can be a little odd, and it sometimes thinks tight corners on country roads are turnings. You soon get used to it’s idiosyncrasies though. on the other hand, I do hear that TomTom is the daddy of sat nav.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

My experience is that Tom Tom has a much better user interface, but garmin has better navigation, but both will get you where you need to go

CHB

Garmin fan here.

coffeeking
    Free Member

MapMap?

uplink
    Free Member

I use a Tomtom all over the world & it rarely gets it noticeably wrong as long as you use a bit of common to get close to to destination
    Maps are great but trying to follow one on a dark wet night in Paris stuck behind a bus is somewhat ‘character building’ 🙂

Tomtom also has the the advantage of very cheap maps 😉 – not sure what’s available for the Garmin

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tomtom kept needing to be reset in France for us. Also told us to take the direct route over the alps rather than the A-road round them. Not keen. Good for cities though, I agree.

Never used a Garmin, but have been 99% satisfied with my Tom Tom One Europe since getting it over 2 years ago.

uplink
    Free Member

You can set it up to use certain types of roads & review the route before you set it off.
    I used to have upwards of 100 maps in the boot of my car – I now have 1 road atlas & a Tomtom, I also have built in sat-nav but don’t like it

coffeeking
    Free Member

No-one else finds the tomtom just drifts off the road into fields when in France? Gets utterly baffled by what road you’re on if you’re near other parallel roads and needs to be reset to re-capture the correct road?!

uplink
    Free Member

ck – I use mine in France all the time without issue
    You may have a software or hardware problem with yours

coffeeking
    Free Member

‘ts possible. Borrowed from a friend. Gave it back in a huff (with it) after it directed us all sorts of odd ways through Bristol at rush hour rather than going round it and would not find the bypass roads lol.

geoffj

Garmin 250w refurb here for less than £90
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Widescreen-Satellite-Navigation-Overhauled/dp/B001H7T19Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245246167&sr=8-2

Got mine last week and its spot on. Garmin customer service is excellent too. Much better than TomTom

Milkie
    Free Member

I bought a TomTom Go 910 for £100. I then hacked it and put on the new Navcore 8.

So it runs as a 930/940, with MP3 jukebox, Voice Commands, Auto Lane Guidance, IQ Routes, MapShare, and more. Oh and it can play full length video’s too.

I think you might be able to do this with the TT One XL too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘TomTom vs Garmin which is best?’ is closed to new replies.