Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Toilet Doors – Opening inwards rant
  • kayak23

I mean, if toilet doors just opened outwards, then you could simply use your foot to open them and you wouldn’t have to put your freshly washed hand onto one or possibly two handles where countless other folk who neglected to wash the wazz spittle off their hands have just put theirs.

It seems that 99.9% of toilet doors open inwards so there must be some reason for this madness. Its a reason I cannot understand.

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe to stop somebody kicking them open and hitting the next occupant in the face?

hmanchester
    Free Member

I went to a bar last night where you had to back your self into the space between the side of the cubicle and the toilet bowl to even enter/exit the stall. Impossible not to touch all sorts of undesirable surfaces!

That and the above issue exiting the bathroom as a whole….

zippykona

Can you even imagine not washing your hands after touching the handle? Everyone who has ever touched it has just had a dump.
    I just want to put a sign on the back of everyone I see who don’t wash their hands saying ” dirty filthy leper”. In fact just give them a good dose of whatever filth they are spreading. Bastids.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A few germs as disgusting as it is wont kill me.

Something that had never crossed my mind tbh.

Im more concerned that as an observation across a broad section of society a hand wash means just rubbing them together under some water without even trying the soap.

Of course in certain places id rather drink my own piss than try to wash my hands…..

But i will seek out somewhere sanitary to wash them asap !

argoose
    Free Member

If it opened outwards you have no chance of stopping someone opening it in the event of bust lock,no lock or forgot to lock. Just grin and bear it pmsl

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I went to a bar last night where you had to back your self into the space between the side of the cubicle and the toilet bowl to even enter/exit the stall

You’ve just described 99% of all women’s toilets – they don’t half make me curse as I try to sidle round the side of the toilet just to shut the door!! Obviously all designed by men… 👿

project
    Free Member

If the door opens from the toilet into a corridor or room and it doesnt have a door closer fitted, there is the possibility of partially sighted people walking into the slightly ajar door, or being hit by a door that suddenly opens into a corridor etc.

br
    Free Member

If the door opens from the toilet into a corridor or room and it doesnt have a door closer fitted, there is the possibility of partially sighted people walking into the slightly ajar door, or being hit by a door that suddenly opens into a corridor etc.

or they could just make the cubicles bigger…

highclimber
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to be about the cubicle doors opening the wrong way – I experienced one of them that didn’t have a lock on it so I used my foot to hold it closed but it just swang wide open for all to see me hovering (not wanting to place my bum on the seat) to do you know what!

But, yes, I too think about all those doors that you have to open once you’ve washed your hands! problem with them opening outward is that you could quite easily boot a door and there be a person going to pull it open from the other side. this would with hit them in the face (worse-case) or break their hand!

kayak23

Not really on about cubicles. I mean the main doors into the toilet.
    But yeah, some cubicles can be a nightmare but I guess space is at a premium in Womenfolks toilets.

kayak23

problem with them opening outward is that you could quite easily boot a door and there be a person going to pull it open from the other side. this would with hit them in the face (worse-case) or break their hand!

Nah, works both ways..

Northwind

See in that first picture? You’ve now got poo on your sleeve. Way easier to wash it off your hands.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If they open outwards then they could open into a corridor which may well be a fire escape route. The width of that corridor is determined by the number of people who may be in the building (in terms of means of escape in the event of a fire). If you have a door opening outwards into the corridor then you reduce the effective width of the corridor, therefore you might have to provide a wider corridor in the first place (very expensive). You could get around it by providing a lobby to the toilet or recessing the door but again this is wasted floor space which is expensive.
    So then end result of all that is you get inward opening doors.

kayak23

The blokes toilets where I work have a big build up of paper towels on the floor behind the door for this exact reason…

aP
    Free Member

Depends if you want to spend £5k/ sq m for larger loos?
    It’s really not rocket science planning toilets – just that the tiling layouts are hard.

sobriety
    Free Member

The toilets in Schipol airport have outward opening doors, I can attest to the fact that is is possible to inadvertantly own someone due to this feature.

smell_it
    Free Member

Just slash in your pants, no hand washing issues and it will make you appear slightly aloof.

Lifer
    Free Member

Never accept a cup of tea/food/pen/handshake from my boss. He rarely washes his hands and also likes a game of pocket billiards far too much.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What? Get a grip FFS – there is no health hazard at all to anyone with a normal immune sytem / normal hygiene.

Paranoia!

kayak23

No TJ, and I never suggested there was a health hazard. However, ideally I’d prefer not to inadvertently ingest other folks wazz and jobbie residue thanks.
    🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why? You do all the time anyway simply breathing the air. Do you normally get poo all over your hand and then wipe it on the handle?

Yo9u would still have to touch the lock and the tap anyway. to say nothing of the door to the toilets and any other doors – and as for water – have you seen what fish do in it?

Freud would have a field day with your fears

kayak23

Oh shush, just making an observation. Never once said anything about any FEARS or paranoia… Jeebus.. 😯

Freud would have a field day with your fears

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

Do you normally get poo all over your hand and then wipe it on the handle?

Yes, to trap people in the toilet.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are padded fred and I claim my £5

sas
    Free Member

What? Get a grip FFS – there is no health hazard at all to anyone with a normal immune sytem / normal hygiene.

Are you saying there’s no need to wash your hands after using the toilet?

project
    Free Member

Its also strange nobody bothers to wipe the shopping trollley handle,or the petrol pump grip, all touched by incontinent,masturbating people.

Oh and next time have a look at the fresh fruit isle in the supermarket and see how many mostly women seem to want to touch all the unwrapped fruit, then put it back.

Also so youve washed your hands in nice antiseptic soap, how do you then turn the tap off, with your teeth.I just leave it running.

Lifer
    Free Member

Escalator hand rails/counters in banks/lift buttons.

djglover
    Free Member

Its not hard to open the door with some paper and then, flush, chuck the paper and walk out with out having touched anything. Problem comes opening the main door then. I was stuck behind one waiting for someone to open it from the outside for about 15 minutes the other day.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You are Arnold Rimmer, and I claim my £5.

loum
    Free Member

What? Get a grip FFS

Can’t. Pooh on the handle.

project
    Free Member

Using a paper towel to open a door is a huge waste of resourse, and not usually able to be recycled, and most public toilets are going to hot air dryers, to save the cost of stock and replenishment ,waste disposal, also the high fire risk of paper towels.

scuzz
    Free Member

Cubicle doors have gaps under them solely for this reason – hook a foot under when you open them – or will that ruin your George black trousers?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Wait for the next person coming in, or travel with someone to hold the door ajar while you tend to your ablutions.

This, as I understand it, is the story of Lord of the Rings.

loum
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoj7AkIl4E&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

You are Sheldon Cooper, and I claim my £5.

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t wash my hands after a number 1. I honestly believe my phallus is cleaner than the tap handle as it get cleaned regularly. I don’t do number 2’s in public places at all so don’t have issues with cubicle doors.

project
    Free Member

Cubicle doors have gaps under them solely for this reason – hook a foot under when you open them

Its actually so the cleasner can mop all the floor without trapping water in the edges, and also stops the dooor soaking up water from the floor.

project
    Free Member

How do people manage with the green tardis toilets at race events, wait for somebody to exit and grab the door and suddenly find theyve done a pizza or curry all over the bog, then its a quick exit,only for the next chap to think youve done it all yourself.

scuzz
    Free Member

Its actually so the cleasner can mop all the floor without trapping water in the edges, and also stops the dooor soaking up water from the floor.

If there’s a cleaner, what’s the problem? 😉

How do people manage with the green tardis toilets at race events, wait for somebody to exit and grab the door and suddenly find theyve done a pizza or curry all over the bog, then its a quick exit,only for the next chap to think youve done it all yourself.

A polite tip of the hat usually covers it

restless
    Free Member

Try using a womans toilet! They are all luke this. And as for washing hands, if you use tissue to open the toilet door and then to turn on the tap, you are not touching other peoples germs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Toilet Doors – Opening inwards rant’ is closed to new replies.