Home Forums Chat Forum Today I Suddenly Realised…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Today I Suddenly Realised…
    Cougar

Sting’s backing vocal on Dire Straits’ Money For Nothing – “I want my, I want my MTV” – is the same hook as his lead in The Police, “Don’t stand, don’t stand so close to me.”

What have you suddenly realised recently?

roverpig

That Cougar must have been deaf for the past 30 years 🙂

nickc

Not only that; Sting’s publishers – Virgin (there was no love lost between them and Sting) decided that it was their song, and they’d like some royalties thanks v much.

matt_outandabout

What have you suddenly realised recently?

I realised that I really do not want to be 50 a month from today.

TiRed

I really do not want to be 50 a month from today.

I realised that It’s better than not being 50 in a month from today.

Cougar

That Cougar must have been deaf for the past 30 years 🙂

Bugger off. 😁

FB-ATB

deaf for the past 30 years

and missed a thread on this previously

easily
    Free Member

That I haven’t heard anything by Sting or Dire Straits for years, and I’m content to keep it that way.

That I’m alright with being 60 next month.

That of I bow my shoelaces like a reef knot instead of a granny knot they don’t come undone.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Watched Total Recall again the other night, first time I’ve noticed Quato is in the brothel when Arnie walks in with his taxi driver.

Obviously not something you would realise on first watch, as Quato hadn’t been in a scene beforehand, to know who he is.

Kryton57

…Samantha Fox is 58, blimey!

funkmasterp

Joe Cocker is dead!

Also read something where some mad scientists are claiming water isn’t wet and just has the ability to make other things wet. Not sure if they were trolling and now my tiny mind is questioning everything.

Drac

Obviously not something you would realise on first watch, as Quato hadn’t been in a scene beforehand, to know who he is.

Well that and you can’t actually see him.

MrOvershoot

Kryton57

…Samantha Fox is 58, blimey!

So she’s exactly 7 months younger than me, quite what I do with that info who knows 😀

onehundredthidiot

The divide sign ÷ is a fraction with dots for the numbers. 10÷2 becomes 10/2.

The dots are just place holders for the numbers.

I’m 54 and only found this out last month.

funkmasterp

I found that out just now!

SaxonRider

I was standing in line at my graduation many years ago, waiting to be called forward. My surname starts with ‘S’, so I had to wait a long time. I therefore began singing the alphabet song in my head, when suddenly it hit me: in English and French, at least, we sing the alphabet song to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, and that both were actually just Mozart’s ‘Ah! vous dirai-je, maman’.

It was a revelation!

irc

“I realised that I really do not want to be 50 a month from today.”

Every so often my wife says she hates getting old.   And I reply it is better than the alternative.

grimep
    Free Member

I only realised earlier this year that the red LED characters on the cover of Ghost in the Machine represent the three Police bandmates, and that was only after it was pointed out by someone

maccruiskeen

I only realised earlier this year that the red LED characters on the cover of Ghost in the Machine represent the three Police bandmates,

And if you turn it upside down it spells ‘BOOBIES’

grimep
    Free Member

Not today either but a couple of months ago I realised the long pointy bit that sticks out as you move the jaws of a Vernier calliper is the depth gauge.

50. A dim distant memory…

maccruiskeen

“I realised that I really do not want to be 50 a month from today.”

Come and join the over 50s – it’s great. Theres temporary tattoos and everything

nicou
    Free Member

Tattoo stickers for those over 50? Finally you can be a rock star without regrets!

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

At the bottom of the tattoo pack.. is that where you’re supposed to put them? Bit wrinkly I’d have thought?

avdave2

Not today either but a couple of months ago I realised the long pointy bit that sticks out as you move the jaws of a Vernier calliper is the depth gauge.

I had exactly the same revelation last week!

soundninjauk

I therefore began singing the alphabet song in my head, when suddenly it hit me: in English and French, at least, we sing the alphabet song to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

I realised this a few years ago when attempting to add some sort of nursery rhyme variation to proceedings to try and get small baby to stop crying. Less the Mozart of course.

Cougar

and missed a thread on this previously

I’ve just realised I missed a deaf Cougar / Def Leppard pun. Standards are slipping.

we sing the alphabet song to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Baa Baa Black Sheep also. Probably many others.

thols2
    Free Member

Every so often my wife says she hates getting old.   And I reply it is better than the alternative.

Yeah, I remember being 25 and talking shit with my mates about how it’s better to go out in a blaze of glory when you’re young than to get old and feeble. I kinda still believe that, but each year I just figure that things are going ok and I might just give it another 12 months before I do the blaze of glory thing.

BillMC

that MacCruiskeen is the Third Policeman, half man half bike

grimep
    Free Member

MacCruiskeen is the Third Policeman, half man half bike

Being the wrong side of 50, I take great comfort in the wise words of de Selby….

Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death.

IHN

Not today, but I do remember being slightly taken aback when, in my late forties, it dawned on me that ‘nothing’ quite literally is ‘no thing’.

maccruiskeen

that MacCruiskeen is the Third Policeman, half man half bike

No – I’m only one of the first two policemen. Although I suppose it depends on where you start counting

slowoldman

…Samantha Fox is 58

Inches?

BillMC

Haven’t read him for about 30yrs so forgive the wild inaccuracy, I knew ages ago it rang a bell but was thinking of Cruiskeen Lawn (‘full jug’, quite apt). I’m told a pint of plain is your only man, shall go and find out shortly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLvsg9cTx4

martymac

‘Better than the alternative’
    Is a spike milligan joke.

Cougar

‘Better than the alternative’
    Is a spike milligan joke.

“I told you I was ill” was his epitaph as I recall.

sirromj

I remember being 25 and talking shit

That suddenly reminds me about a night club for over 25s we used to driver past and take the piss out of for all the boring old people in there listening to shit music.  Double that age next year.

BillMC

“Did you ever in your life,’ he asked, ‘mount a bicycle from the right?’
    ‘I did not.’
    ‘And why?’
    ‘I do not know. I never thought about it.’

I never thought about it but today I realised that, unless constrained by circumstances, as a left-hander I always mount a bicycle from the right, hence a left-legger. Is that normal?

jamj1974

The intro to Bergerac is pretty much interchangeable with Walking on the Moon by The Police.

Keva
    Free Member

deaf for the past 30 years

40 years surely?

jimmy

“I want my, I want my MTV”

Or the Rishi version

“I want my, I want my Sky TV”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.