Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)
  • Today I kicked off properly with a security guard in a supermarket!
  • nickjb
    Free Member

Totally agree that kids should be allowed to do dangerous things and learn those life lessons. I don’t think the supermarket is the right place. While we’re on the subject it’s not the right place for them to learn how to use a barcode scanner when there is a big queue of customers either.

rene59
    Free Member

I kicked off properly with a security guard in a supermarket!

Oh sounds a good read!

I lost it. I mean totally lost it. I didn’t react violently but the red mist came down.

Eh? Er, oh well maybe not then.

I kicked off and demanded they let go of the trolley and when they didn’t I think it came pretty close to being physical.

Wow, just as well you were ‘holding’ it back, lucky for that brusque rough oaf of a security guard then.

nickjb
    Free Member

Why would I do that?

Maybe for this:

I thought screw you

[quote]I lost it. I mean totally lost it.[/quote]

the red mist came down.

[quote]I was just so angry and extremely defensive.[/quote]

I think it came pretty close to being physical.

And as for

there isn’t a parent in the land who wouldn’t have done what I did.

I think there are a few.

mattrgee
    Free Member

The thing is OP, these lot love it when someone owns up to doing some wrong or accepting some of the blame for a situation. It allows them to

Everything

You

Did

Wrong

Despite

Stating

It

Yourself

Already

Well done STW, yawnnnnnnnnn…..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Security guards,bless em, we’ve got one in our local morrisons who is a real time stickler. He revels in 4pm and one second power when on a Sunday you are no longer allowed to enter the store. Dont beat yourself up, our kids are now nearly 13 and 10 and it’s happened a few times for me. One particular incident being a right big bastard at the toast machine in the alton towers hotel, but as they say that’s another story.

crankboy
    Free Member

Shop at waitrose me and crankbrat did that all the time though he now insists on sitting in the seat and only stands in the trolly to load the shopping on to the checkout . The day they tell us we can’t is the day that we walk leaving our shopping. Given that I keep an eye on him and I know for a fact he will be standing on my food he never has dog shit on his shoes. The lady on the till once offered to get me a better loaf as ours was squashed I just pointed out seeing as we squashed it we should keep it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You see this is the point. If he’s my son and he’s sat down in the trolley what harm is he really doing? You see it all the time. It’s the only way any number of parents get the shopping done. It seems like a silly rule on the one hand but not so on the other. Totally get how they don t want to be liable for an accident.

i think there are a few

Yeah you’re right. They are better people than me. I don’t mean that in a supercilious way just admitting that this is about the hardest thing I’ve ever done (be a parent that is). I love it to bits and wouldn’t change it for the world but man it’s hard.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Stops the supermarket getting sued when the kid tips the trolley over and stops the next customer getting dog shit all over their fruit and veg.

Can’t see #1 (but I guess it can happen) but I can defo see #2.

nickjb
    Free Member

these lot love it when someone owns up to doing some wrong or accepting some of the blame for a situation.

That would be a good point except the bits I pasted are after the bit he accepted responsibility and are where the OP thinks it was the right way to behave that anyone would do the same.

convert

Just thought I’d add to your woes…….so your wife came back from a week away from home ‘too tired’ to do her bit.

She a bit sore…..any chaffing at all? Just asking like.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’ve got a point nick. I guess I am more angry than I realised at how these two guys scared the bejesus out of my kids. My eldest hasn’t stopped fretting about it all afternoon.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just thought I’d add to your woes…….so your wife came back from a week away from home too tired to do her bit.

She a bit sore…..any chaffing at all? Just asking like.

Hmm good point. I’ll ask her. I’ll just finish bringing your missus off first. 😀 she’s close and I wouldn’t want to disappoint her.

nickjb
    Free Member

Hey, at least you are thinking about. Better to get angry then realise you made a mistake than stay angry. I’m pretty sure getting a bit hot and bothered at the wrong time is something we’ve all done.

convert

Cheers, that’ll save me a job for later. 🙂

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I don’t work for Tesco but I can answer the trolley thing. Most of the time if an accident happens, the person sues the supermarket, pay out, the end. With baby trolleys or baby seats if an accident happens and the person suddenly claims the trolley was broken before (trust me this is what happens 90% of the time) then the store not only gets sued but the store manager can get charged with assault, a criminal record and loosing his license to sell alcohol. Most security guards do not know this though and your one sounds like he was being overzealous.

robdob
    Free Member

The stores I have worked in have the same policy. It’s not nice as a first aider to come an incident where a kid has tipped over a trolley – the tendency is that they hit their head in the concrete floor first then the massively heavy trolley lands on them.
    You then have a badly injured child and an adult in hysterics (understandably). Thank fully I never had any bad injuries to deal with in my stores but I met colleagues who had seen very badly injured kids – fractured skull in one case.

Unfortunately 95% of the parents who let their kids sit in the main part of the trolley don’t control them and go wandering off letting their kids hang out of the trolley so the wheels start to tip.

I used to ask them to put their kids where they should be and if they didn’t I would explain the sort of injuries they can get. I seem to remember someone storming out of the store when I was insistent about it – I didn’t care, I was nice to them and at least I’m not going to have to scrape their kids skull off the floor.

I was in a DIY store most of my retail career and you also got the parent letting their kids play with the garden chemicals/axes/saws etc. Beggars belief it really does.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was nice to them and at least I’m not going to have to scrape their kids skull off the floor.

This is what the whole thread revolves around. They weren’t nice. They were aggressive and they scared my kids and there wasn’t any need for that (no there wasn’t any need for my reaction either, I think we’ve established that)

Good on you for being good at your job though. I know someone commented earlier that if you pay peanuts etc, but I honestly don’t think it has to be like that. You can take a better approach.

Solo
    Free Member

As I said, I just need to share. I’m upset. It’s not been a good morning!

If I may, seems to me, from your OP, that you’ve had a difficult week. I hope things become easier for you and the family, as soon as.

crankboy
    Free Member

“then the store not only gets sued but the store manager can get charged with assault, a criminal record”
    No they don’t not in a million years.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I hope things become easier for you and the family, as soon as.

That’s a nice thing to say Solo – I appreciate it. Thanks.

crankboy
    Free Member

Double post sorry…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Good on you for being good at your job though. I know someone commented earlier that if you pay peanuts etc, but I honestly don’t think it has to be like that. You can take a better approach.

Was that intentionally condescending?

takisawa2

This supermarket clearly needs a planned assault…
    Get a dozen of us to sit in trolleys whilst others push & we’ll all charge in the same time.

Or, we could hire that giant trolley from the Jackass movie… 🙂

Op, you’ve had a crap day.
    Grab a beer & chill out.

project
    Free Member

So it’s been a very tough morning; wife’s been away all week, I’ve been doing the day job as well as the morning and evening shifts with the kids. We all went into town today to get some lunch and then a shop but as it turned out the wife is just too tired to be able to keep up with our kids who are being seriously difficult.

So I’ve gone to do the shopping without her, so she can have a break, and have had to man handle my youngest kicking and screaming across town only to find that he refuses to sit in the chair of the trolley, but he’s quite happy to sit inside the trolley itself. Fine. Let’s keep life simple.

Just perhaps exercise some control on your children, the rest of us customers dont want to have a parent showing no respect for fellow shoppers and then having a row with the security guards and tasking them away from their security job, eg stock loss control.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why would I do that? He was bang out of order the way he handled it and I did what any parent would do in that situation. I may have been wrong on the kid being in the trolley and for ignoring the first guy, but when the second guy tried to yank the trolley out of me and became aggressive in front of my kids, there isn’t a parent in the land who wouldn’t have done what I did.

Trolling Supermarket Fighter?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Really sounds like the root of the problem doesn’t lie with the security guards who were only doing what they are paid to do . Your children sound pretty badly behaved from how you describe the situation . I have been a far from perfect parent I would accept , but there’s no way any of my children would have behaved like that when they were younger or if a child had refused to sit properly in the trolley we would have left the store and there would have been an inquest at home where he would have had the rights and wrongs of the situation explained to him . You have to set standards and put boundaries in place that kids know that they can’t cross or you are just setting yourself up for more trouble down the line . It’s not always easy in the heat of the moment but it’s what works IME.

Solo
    Free Member

I appreciate it.
    Likewise 🙂

fervouredimage – Member
    Was that intentionally condescending?

And like that wasn’t! The guy’s had a tough week, cut him a break.

@GT1972, You don’t need me to suggest you ignore the idiots ^^.

takisawa2 – Member
    Op, you’ve had a crap day.
    Grab a beer and chill out.

Nice idea, I’ll log-out now and be joining both of you with a brew and a large dose of chill. Looking forward to a bike ride in the morning.

Cheers!
    🙂

cyclomonkey
    Free Member

Sounds to me like your struggling to cope with your situation and this was your ned flanders looses it moment

It was just a petty squabble and your chimp broke out. Considering the amount of posts here about stress, anxiety and depression recently its worth having a think about and if this outburst and stress is isolated to this week or a more persistent thing and addressing it.

Or i could be reading it wrong and your just a bit of a d@&k x

bearnecessities

Or i could be reading it wrong and your just a bit of a d@&k x

He’s not.

Also, are you calling him a dick and then giving him a kiss?

scotroutes

Maybe he likes kissing dicks?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Unfortunately the national minimum wage they pay for those positions does not attract people who posses those skills

Don’t try and fight with low-paid idiots

So anyone that is on a crap wage is an idiot ?

Most parents including myself have been in the supermarket with mental children…sounds like you have anger issues 😕 You were asked to remove said child you didn’t next guy came and asked (he prob shouldn’t have touched the trolly) you flipped…

Sounds like the guy did you a favour in more ways than one

1 saved your child from potential accident
    2 you gotta calm down and not see red how did that look to your children daddy loosing it…Just saying…

Hope your wife isn’t to tired to show you some relaxing techniques this eve 😀

totalshell

so .. you cant control your kids and think its ok to put them in a shopping trolley to keep them quiet.. ffs grow a pair and let them know whose in charge in your house. its parenting like this that gave us tony blair as prime minister.

crankboy
    Free Member

On the potential accident point if the child is small enough for the built in trolley seat it is safer sat in the body of the trolley as the op’s was basic physics and all that .

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

so .. you cant control your kids and think its ok to put them in a shopping trolley to keep them quiet.. ffs grow a pair and let them know whose in charge in your house. its parenting like this that gave us tony blair as prime minister.

I agree. The OP’s parenting is the reason we are in Iraq.

scotroutes

We should send the OP in against Aldi-qaeda

bearnecessities

^ Not bad, 7/10.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh my word the evening crowd has just arrived 😀

FYI I am a great parent. I can control my children, they do pretty much everything I ask not always first time but eventually. Not all kids are the same. Some are passive some have streaks of independence a mile wide. They are just like, well people. They come in all shapes and sizes. You ever tried to lay down the law with an autistic child and see where it gets you?

So here’s a funny turn of events. I’m currently reading my eldest The Magic Faraway Tree and tonight’s episode guess which land they visit. Yes that’s right. The Land of Lost Tempers. You couldn’t make it up. 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

“evening crowd”?

Is that a euphemism for ‘sanctimonious self-righteous seanuts’?

AD

I’m very much enjoying the sage advice from the anger management gurus. Stay awesome guys!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nothing of the sort. Just seemed like we did dinner bath bed and suddenly the mood changed.

Just for reference I previously posted a remark about ‘being good at your job’ and someone asked if i was being patronising. No, I honestly meant. I was being sincere albeit clumsily.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Today I kicked off properly with a security guard in a supermarket!’ is closed to new replies.