Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Today I blocked 5 strava shortcuts
  • SOAP
    Free Member

On a wet ride around Bristols trails today I nearly come a cropper on mud dragged onto the trail after one strava short cut.
    After that I was on a bit of a mission.
    Probably won’t last but I tried to do my bit 🙂

teethgrinder

I don’t know what that means. I understand all the words, just not in that order.

allthepies
    Free Member

The OP was riding a trail, probably involves curves i.e. not straight line. Some people have been straightlining said trail, possibly after Strava KOMs and where the straight line route hits the proper, curvy route then there is a mud buildup. This hacked the OP off and so he blocked off the straightline route.

HTH.

teethgrinder

Ah.

That makes sense.

slowrider
    Free Member

Blocking peoples lines on public trails? On my local patch I take all sorts of lines that aren’t on the main track. Nothing to do with strava.

Cock.

kcal

would have to be a long shortcut (as it were) given that they count, what 75% of a segment, covered as counting?

DT78
    Free Member

Make the shortcuts into gap jumps, then fair play if they are a better rider than you.

oldnick

To be clear, we are talking about MUD on a mountain bike trail?

Sounds lethal.

wookie
    Free Member

Not sure how you can tell that Strava has been riding your local trail?

I blame stupid lazy idiots rather than Strava personally.

Either way, well done on the trail fairy work.

SOAP
    Free Member

Less of that slowrider!
    if your lines are to cut corners then it would be you that’s at fault.
    I’m taking about straightlining because of laziness or chasing a time!

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

Also known as Halfords lines 🙂

rickon
    Free Member

Blocking peoples lines on public trails? On my local patch I take all sorts of lines that aren’t on the main track. Nothing to do with strava.

Cock.

Idiot.

There’s loads of well ridden, and bedded in trails, that some people put time into creating, then some idiot comes along looking to knock 2 seconds of his best time, destroying the trail someone built.

Everyone else then sees this line, rides it, and now instead of lovely swoopy singletrack you end up with straight lines.

OP, slow hand clap from me. Nothing annoys me more than people ruining someone’s hard work because they’re too lazy to ride properly.

oldgit
    Free Member

We seem to have to do that, it’s not Strava though. We get permission to cut nice trails trying to get the most out of what we have, but it doesn’t take long before straight lines dissect all the nice stuff. You see new lines start just trying to avoid a wet patch.

Okay so it might have lost it’s fun factor, but at least it’s fast now

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Nice one OP. Definitely noticed more trails being cut since strava got a lot more popular.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

slowrider
    Free Member

Idiot.

There’s loads of well ridden, and bedded in trails, that some people put time into creating, then some idiot comes along looking to knock 2 seconds of his best time, destroying the trail someone built.

Everyone else then sees this line, rides it, and now instead of lovely swoopy singletrack you end up with straight lines.

OP, slow hand clap from me. Nothing annoys me more than people ruining someone’s hard work because they’re too lazy to ride properly.

And there’s plenty of us who build trails, then modify and evolve them to create multiple lines and sections. Blocking someone else’s line is stupid and dangerous.

To be clear, we are talking about MUD on a mountain bike trail?

Sounds lethal.

Exactly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A guy posted a POV film of him riding a great descent in the Peaks on a “Strave Run”, what amused me is he rode around all the technical bits and over the grass at the end – what’s the point ?

Good work OP

andrewh
    Free Member

Regardless of strava times the people riding those new lines are causing errosion away from the main trail and probably getting bikers a ba name amongst the local rambling population.
    As long as you’ve blocked it well (ie obviously, not bopy trapped it!) then fine by me, carry on.

oldgit
    Free Member

We’re talking about sanctioned trails, bridleways and byways they can’t be altered. Slowrider we’re not talking about places where you have permission to ride anywhere and cut or build anywhere as you have.

Northwind

The trouble is that straightlines/corner cuts often end up trashing the original trail. Not always, but often. Some shortcut/ alternative lines are clever and interesting, but IME more often than not they are shit and leave a worse trail for everyone else, because some people can’t do corners, or find sections too difficult. Or, yep, strava but it’s definitely not all down to that.

On a manmade/armoured trail it’s a particular problem because leaving and rejoining the surface damages it- at glentress frinstance we now spend a ridiculous amount of time blocking off cut lines in order to preserve the trail. Even on the green route, ffs! And what this shows is that it’s not just people riding off the trail- some people will get off the bike and move our obstructions. The effort they put into not riding the trail!

There’s clearly a body of riders who’d like every trail to be a perfectly straight line from the top to the bottom, and don’t care about the effect that has on others. I see no reason to respect that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Generally people riding trails faster than they have the skills for seems to cause this sort of problem (been seeing it for years) ill defined corners just make it easier to not see the line.

Generally a issue with crap riders rather than technology, but as always blame something 🙂 I think video nasties have a lot to answer for

rickon
    Free Member

Northwind +1. Exactly my thoughts.

theotherjonv

Similar vein on a trail near me; it’s a semi-sanctioned trail in that it’s on mod land but a legacy trail that’s been there for donkeys years having originally been cut for a sanctioned event, but being mod land you aren’t supposed to build on it.

There are a few off camber rooty corners on it that are quite tricky when wet particularly. Or rather there used to be until someone took it upon themselves to dig out the roots to the new surface underneath, build up some berms on the corners and then when challenged on it declare it’s because “that’s how they like their trails”

Right to feel slightly aggrieved? If you want to ride miles of swoopy bermed trails, go to swinley and leave the more natural stuff alone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I found what the OP was looking for…

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Theotherjohnv, are you talking about p45 at tunnel?

theotherjonv

Might be.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Blocked plenty of Strava lines myself- well done OP.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Kinda ruined a big part of that imo.

theotherjonv

Thankfully i think they listened to concerns about how the area training people would view their modifications and called a halt before it all got the same treatment. And I’m sure many will / would prefer it with less roots and more flow, so it’s not absolute black and white. Putting aside the mod regs aspect, I just feel that character of trails should be left as much as they can be, if you want different you need to make the effort to find and agree where new trails can go and build those to your liking. Time and maintenance often result in evolution anyway, some trails get easier, some harder, forcing change on a trail because it’s how you like it isn’t right IMHO. You wouldn’t walk into the Louvre and change the background of the Mona Lisa because you prefer seascapes, would you?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I thought the trail flowed better before, you just had to know how to ride it.
    Now, instead of a tricky root section that was fun and challenging to pump and jump through, you pedal. Meaning you hit the next section faster, brake, and cause more damage.
    What gets me is, the amount of work done, is nearly enough to build another trail from scratch.

soobalias
    Free Member

You wouldn’t walk into the Louvre and change the background of the Mona Lisa because you prefer seascapes, would you?

yep, and blame it on some sad geeky internerd game.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m just not sure you can blame Strava… People have been missing the point and cutting corners for years.

Slogo
    Free Member

you will be putting up fishing line and logs across the tracks next

wiggles
    Free Member

Just put a Sign Saying “KOM Line” on a tree with an arrow then paint one of these…

nickc

Nice one OP. Definitely noticed more trails being cut since strava got a lot more popular.

It’s winter, it’s easier to a) cut corners, and b) you notice them more

I’m just not sure you can blame Strava… People have been missing the point and cutting corners for years.

aye, been riding the same stretches of woodland for over a decade now, lines come and go.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll head out and check out your work later, OP. It had better not affect my strava times though 😉

For reference, the trails that the OP is taking about are properly built, armoured trails in areas that tend to get very muddy and trashed if ridden off well built trails due to the type of mud /drainage. I’m not sure that strava can really be blamed as people have always straightlined the trails but it certainly causes long term issues which then requires loads of work to fix.

andypandy85
    Free Member

OP, you’re my hero…

#getagrippeople

david47
    Free Member

Theotherjinv, I used to find that bit of trail a pain as i struggled on it, the solution I chose was practice….
    I hope you had more that a few choice words with the idiot involved… Maybe getting them to join trail team swinley would be a good suggestion for him/her/them.

easygirl

So you took time out if your life to block someone elses choice of riding line
    Well in man

ontor
    Free Member

Well done.

Surprising how many people above don’t understand how quickly trails can be ruined by short-cut line.

In case it’s of any use my top tip is a way to fix the root of the problem, the ability of people to take the line in the first place. This doesn’t mean wack a massive boulder in the way on the corner, because someone will either get hurt or move it out the way again.

IME by placing an obstacle like a squeeze feature or an intimidating looking boulder at the edge of the trail further up the trail you can change the line that is taken further downstream as the riders naturally slow or give the boulder space. Just a small, safe change can restore the natural line and the riders that were shortcutting can’t usually be bothered to stop and move your persuader.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Today I blocked 5 strava shortcuts’ is closed to new replies.