• This topic has 51 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Today at the Test
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Can anyone summon up any enthusiasm for the bizarre spectacle going on in Abu Dhabi? Two world class teams who don’t really want to be there playing on a terrible wicket in blistering heat in front of a village cricket sized crowd with none of the passion.

I know that expecting the ICC to act in a way that’s good for the game is a forlorn hope but surely this isn’t it?

mefty
    Free Member

Not alot, but I think blaming the security situation in Pakistan on the ICC is a tad unfair.

lunge

No enthusiasm here at all, I didn’t even realise it was on until I looked on the BBC website this morning.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

it’s a snoozefest already

Klunk
    Free Member

could play in Bangladesh, did use to be the same country after all (though the same could be said of india 😉 )

lemonysam
    Free Member

Not alot, but I think blaming the security situation in Pakistan on the ICC is a tad unfair.

Haha… Obviously not but there has to be a solution that doesn’t involve playing somewhere where no one gives a stuff about the game.

mefty
    Free Member

I am not completely au fait with the decision making, but I thought it was that beacon of proprietary, the PCB, who elected to take the cash to play there – but could be wrong. Obviously ICC very supportive because they are based there too.

mefty
    Free Member

Presumably there is a very small Barmy Army contingent if the crowd is very small, not surprising really SA is a much more attractive tour. Without the Barmy Army, crowds would be pretty small in NZ and the West Indies as well.

lemonysam
    Free Member

*googles*

You’re quite right, I’d misremembered. However it came to pass, it’s bloody stupid…

lemonysam
    Free Member

Crowd yesterday was reportedly 54 people for 3rd vs 4th in the world…

Anyway, it’s still going and given England’s record on bad bowling pitches I’m expecting a follow on by lunch tomorrow.

hugo
    Free Member

It’s especially ridiculous considering the time of year they’re playing it as well. It’s still feeling 40+ degrees at the moment over here.

Who wants to play and watch in that heat all day. Well, 54 people do!

mefty
    Free Member

54 only – that is depressing.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Pakistan have declared at 523-8, if anyone’s paying attention. At least Bell remembered how to catch by the end. I’m not expecting this to go well.

aracer
    Free Member

At least somebody on the England team has set a new world record today:

34-0-163-0

hugo
    Free Member

I’m a big cricket fan. It would take me less time get there than taking the train from Manchester to London and I can’t be bothered.

They manage to hold events like the Dubai 7s out here to great success, but this simply hasn’t been marketed or caught any kind of imagination.

It’s Pakistan’s home game, and they probably been given a bit of cash to play them here, but simply don’t care about attracting fans.

aracer
    Free Member

anybody for a timeless Test? 😈

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’ve at least had TMS on the radio today. Does that count as entusiasm? Even the commentators don’t sound like they want to be there.

Fair play to Cook though, longest england innings ever.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Since Cook started batting 1/2 million children have been born and light has travelled 13 billion Km

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Since Cook started batting, Hope have successfully prototyped, tested, developed and released three different seatposts on to the market.

ransos
    Free Member

Stokes out. First wicket by a spinner.

theotherjonv

So if you account for one of England’s wickets being a nightwatchman, and 3 of the PK wickets were due to throwing the bat at the end – 4 days play for 10 wickets.

And they wonder why T20 is getting young people’s attention.

aracer
    Free Member

Spinners’ figures:

172 overs 22 maidens 564 runs 1 wicket

(not including Stokes bowling whatever his slow stuff was)

aracer
    Free Member

You do realise this match isn’t very typical?

The Trent Bridge Test this year was shorter than Cook’s innings.

johndoh
    Free Member

Pah for Cook.

Well done though 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Cook out 🙁

jimdubleyou

Cook just gone – 26 ahead.

I had hoped we could get 200 ahead and smash them in the second innings.

Ho-hum.

martinhutch

Cook out to a no-ball. That will grate a bit, there won’t be many opportunities to get a triple.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t know, I reckon he was pretty knackered and glad to get out of the heat.

theotherjonv

You do realise this match isn’t very typical?

Yes. But one match like this sets the game back more than a good game pushes it forward. That’s the way we’re wired; there is an expectation that games should be exciting and indeed, many are. So to get served an interminably dull game or series; compared to a T20 game where you’re guaranteed* excitement – particularly for the crowds of the future who don’t have nearly 40 years of test match watching experience and understand that attrition is part of the game – it damages the overall viewpoint.

* even a one sided T20 will have dancing girls, people hitting sixes, spectacular catches. You don’t get truly dull T20 games, and even if you did they’re over in 3 hours.

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe if it was in England or Australia, where plenty of people are paying attention. This match is pretty insignificant on any drift towards T20.

If it’s happening – I think there’s been a bit of a move away from T20 recently with fans recognising that it’s one dimensional and that even the 50 over game has space for some twists and turns. If anything the last Ashes might have been more damaging due to the one-sided nature of the matches not really showcasing Test match cricket. If only NZ had got more than 2 matches.

martinhutch

The most boring game in test cricket is teasing us now by threatening to get interesting. So cruel.

Three to go – 80-odd ahead. 23 effective overs remaining.

martinhutch

I’m the only one still paying attention, aren’t I?

slackalice
    Free Member

Is this boring enough for you?!!! 😉

C’mon England! We’ve got a sniff!

martinhutch

Bit more than a sniff.

20/20 target of 98…

EDIT: 19/19 anyway. With fading light. And no shortage of bouncers. And test match field settings.

aracer
    Free Member

…and this is why Test matches are better than T20!

I’ve had TMS on most of the time for the past few days, it started getting interesting about when Joe Root came in to bat

slackalice
    Free Member

Will Cook open?

martinhutch

Bairstow should open. With Moeen.

aracer
    Free Member

As a fan of stats, I’m also wondering if anybody has previously gone wicketless for a century in the first innings and then got a Michelle in the second innings on their debut.

aracer
    Free Member

Buttler and Ali! I presume they’re both ODI/T20 openers?

martinhutch

Excellent. Buckle in, everybody.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Today at the Test’ is closed to new replies.