• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nach.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • To all those thinking of using a shipping container as a shed…
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Time to up yo shed game

Markie
    Free Member

Looks great – although in that garden, most things probably would!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nah, Still looks like a shipping container but with all the security benefits of a greenhouse.

cookeaa

I’ve worked on site based in a Half ISO office unit before; it’s Cold and miserable for the most part TBH, we just kept the heaters on all the time…

Anyway that thing is not a shed, its a yuppy Summer house, it needs a workbench, tool chest and a wood burner as it will be chuffing freezing for half the year…

That said an ISO could make a great ready made shed if you could lay your hands on one for a sensible price and get it delivered, My missus would go batshitcrazy though if I had one craned into our garden… that said…. Hmmm.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for that being a pointless waste of space.

No bikes, no tools, no unruly pile of tyres…

Handy for pretending you’re in Big Brother though, perhaps.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The insulated ones formerly used for frozen stuff get around some of the problems, but bring their own.

jackthedog
    Free Member

creamegg
    Free Member

I lived in one for 2 years in Afghanistan. Like living in an oven in summer and a freezer in winter!

aazlad
    Free Member

Whilst working in Teesport a couple of years ago went looking for a Post Office in my lunch hour which resulted in entering one of the residential areas to the east of Middlesborough. I kid you not, every other house had a battered shipping container in the front garden. WTF!

fasthaggis

The insulated ones formerly used for frozen stuff get around some of the problems, but bring their own.

Why so oldyin,is it a contamination thing ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It looks like a shipping container. Why would you want a shipping container? Other than to ship something.

Speshpaul

i think more of an exercise in how good you can make a shipping container look. In that sense its very good. but given the cost of a tidy full length container half of which has been thrown away to drop those windows into, you could make something that is acturally nice out of timber.

core

I’ve considered one (or two) to make a garage/workshop, for £3000 you could make something pretty safe, 16ft x 20ft, waterproof, and functional. But, then comes the issue of moving them, insulating them (if you wan’t to actually be in there for any length of time) and keeping the moisture out. 99% decided against it.

If I was into motorbikes I’d have one, but even with a small car (205), they’re just too narrow at 8ft.

cookeaa

Why so oldyin,is it a contamination thing ?

[/quote]

I’d imagine the sort of insulation already installed in a chilled container seriously reduces it’s internal volume to start with, and means you’ve got more material to cut through and dispose of should you want want to make more door or window openings, on the plus side it comes ready insulated and probably has some holes for pipework through which you could route the outlet from your wood burner.

I think on balance I’d prefer to build my own timber frame, insulate and kit it out as I see fit…

on a £/sq-ft basis I think a good timber shed is probably a bit cheaper, can be configured to suit the available space better, would be warmer (if insulated) and easily repaired/modified…

Edit:

http://www.shippingcontainersuk.com worth a look, the do used containers of all sorts and bespoke conversions…

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stayed in these at Silverstone – needed heating and that was in October, otherwise a neat idea – I was on my own but there were 3 beds. You really would need to be very good friends with the other two and have impeccable bathroom habits!!

Northwind

My brother has a few for storage/workshop space, they work reasonably well- yes freezing and a bit damp in winter but then so was his old warehouse space.

But that “shed” thing would be better in every way if it was made of wood.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Since someone asked, the problems were fitting out the insides and the floor was of long-ways metal slats for air flow, slippery as a slippery thing. The floor could be levelled with a fine aggregate concrete.

avdave2

I’ve stayed in those containers at Silverstone as well. I thought they were pretty good and pretty impressive that they can move 300 or so bedrooms onto a site in 24 hours on a prepared site.

nach
    Free Member

I once sketched out and budgeted a (pretty swish) four container, two bedroom house at about £40K for containers, delivery and materials, but with the price of land there’s not really a saving.

^ many people who start doodling shipping container houses want to cantilever them like this, but they’re not really designed for it without reinforcement. On the corners you can stack them nine high (like this), but I’ve seen photos of improperly stacked ones starting to fold up under the weight of the ones above. Though, they somehow managed a fantastic 60/40 cantilever for this temporary puma store.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘To all those thinking of using a shipping container as a shed…’ is closed to new replies.