Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • TLR tyre won't go up with compressor. Tips..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

As above, new Nobby Nic tubeless ready tyre won’t inflate. Tried using a compressor but still can’t get it to bite. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bigjim

put it on with a tube first, take the bead off one side only and take tube out, now try again, should work, failing that use a lemonade bottle inflator. I find the tlr tyres too tight for stan’s rims, which might be part of it.

scaredypants

have you taken the valve out ?

did you use lots of fairy liquid on the rim/bead ?

proper tubeless rim or (yeh bwoy) ghetto ?

could try putting tyre on overnight using a tube to get it into shape, then pop off one side only to take out tube and reseat your valve

thorlz
    Free Member

Pump up tyre with a tube installed.
    Then remove the tube leaving one side still locked in place.
    Insert valve, push unseated side to center of the rim and use the compressor.
    Removed valve core / undo a small portion of the valve to insert stans liquid.

I have had the same problem with nobby nics, this ,method has always worked for me.

NB: buy some 5mm syringes off ebay for topping up the stans, through the core

Edit: slow fingers, but still good advice

tthew

Are you talking about a proper workshop type compressor or a 12v thing off your car fag lighter? You need big volume, not big pressure to get them started.

If it’s the proper type, try the above. If the other type, go with a decent track pump, then try the above. I’ve always managed by working around the tyre pulling the beads onto the rim socket with my fingers before starting pumping like mad, all you have to do is put more air in than leaks out for a few strokes.

P20

I’ve never had much bother with the TLRs. The Pykey inflator has sorted out most other tyres

DanW
    Free Member

In addition to all of the advice above I have found that leaving a tube in the tyre for a few days then doing a short ride or two on the road with the tube in tends to soften up the bead enough for it to pop on nicely without too much effort with a basic track pump (valve core removed, small amount of soapy water on the beads). This is on Stans rims.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, valve core was out at the petrol station pump, had lots of soapy water. I’ll definitely try the tube method as it seems like a good way to get one of the beads seated.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Had a stubborn tyre that refused to play ball – bead was a bit baggy.

Usual tricks didn’t work – loads of soapy water, ghetto compressor etc, tube in first.

Ended up putting a webbing strap (like a baggage/luggage strap) around the circumference of the tyre. Worked first time.

It’ll help reduce the volume you are trying to work against with the tyre and also helps push the beads out to the edge of the rim. Obviously slacken the strap off as you need to inflate the tyre more……

Webbing strap now stored in the box with tyre levers/stans/pump etc for future stubborn tyres.

scaredypants

NB watery soap, not soapy water

andysmiff1
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    NB watery soap, not soapy water
    POSTED 20 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

You say potato, I say……potato

I use a mix of about 5:1 water:fairy liquid in a spray bottle. Never had any issues apart from that one tyre mentioned above.

Andy-R

I use about 50/50 fairy Liquid and water (so watery soap), a Coke bottle “pneumatic accumulator” and remove the core from the valve. Usually works no problem but with some rim/tyre combinations I’ve fitted the tyre with a tube for a day first. That’s always sorted it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I use this technique if the bead won’t easily lock in with a track pump. You use a tyre lever with a fair amount of pressure, not all the bead has to move into place, just enough so that a few hard pumps gets in moving. Really works for me.

andycs

All the above plus press the tyre down onto the valve with your thumb as you inflate. This helps push the air round the tyre rather than straight up and out of the gap in the bead.

BoardinBob

All the above plus press the tyre down onto the valve with your thumb as you inflate. This helps push the air round the tyre rather than straight up and out of the gap in the bead.

+1,000,000

Northwind

The really useful thing about inflating it with a tube, is that it establishes whether it’s ever going to go on- especially with schwalbe, it might simply be too tight to go onto the beads, their quality has its ups and downs.

DanW
    Free Member

The really useful thing about inflating it with a tube, is that it establishes whether it’s ever going to go on- especially with schwalbe, it might simply be too tight to go onto the beads, their quality has its ups and downs.

Agreed!

tthew

Thanks chaps, valve core was out at the petrol station pump,

That may be your problem. Lots of those just bleed small amounts of air in, stop to check pressure, bleed a bit more in etc.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘TLR tyre won't go up with compressor. Tips..?’ is closed to new replies.