Home Forums Bike Forum Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 582 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France
  • ElShalimo

You must try the Calvados in Normandy !!

tjagain

I have decided to stay a second night here evennif its a crappy hotel F1

Yesterday was funny. I went to check into the ibis in the centre. No rooms there but they very helpfully booked me into the hotel F1 2 miles out of town and not really what i wanted. They where being so helpfull that itcwas hard to say no and maybe they thought all other hotels were full.

Next adventure is to get my clothes washed. There is a launderette nearby. Wish me luck!

slowol

You must try the Calvados in Normandy if you need paintstripper for some odd reason

FTFY

tjagain

Pics from yesterday

tjagain

Once again one of the pics does not show

leffeboy

So…. how’s yer bahookie?

Once again one of the pics does not show

I think there is now a limit on the number of links/embedded photos per post now

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Any news on tjs boil yet?Has it been lanced?Perhaps giving it a name will help matters.

northshoreniall

Boily Macboilface it is

tjagain

The boil has burst which is good news. Somehow I suspect you dont want pictures.

Spent part of the day wandering around Dieppe and part of it sleeping.

Dieppe is gearing up for the 80th anniversary of the raid on 19 August. Lots of Canadian flags

Bunnyhop

OMG Boily Macboilface. Genuine laughing hysterically.
    I mis-read that TJ was wandering around Dieppe and part of it ‘seeping’ , as in the boil.

tjagain

🤣🙄

matt_outandabout

😅

Sandwich

80th anniversary of the raid on 19 August.

One of my great uncles was involved. When his dementia was bad he relived it, it was not a good experience. RIP Uncle Alf.

ElShalimo

@tjagain – ignore slowol and do try the Calvados but a nice one, not the cheap crap stuff

Also, you can get some amazing dark rum in France as they still have very strong links to the Caribbean islands. Any good bar/restaurant will have it. Usually from small batch island producers.

MoreCashThanDash

No idea how I’ve missed this thread so far, but a fantastic and fascinating tale already.

MrOvershoot

Well TJ at least you have provided some with a laugh at your boil (oh I really hope it’s OK from now) Bunnyhop you’re a bad girl for thinking he had seeping ;)

Sandwich I hope your uncle Alf had a peaceful end as I can only imagine the horrors he witnessed at Dieppe.

My grandfather on my fathers side survived the war as a Tank radio operator and never spoke about it. I can’t begin to understand what it must have been like to see friends “boiling up”

tjagain

Back on the road this morning refreshed and rested. Gonna try back roads i think rather than the eurovelo. Lets see if i can get some good miles in.

Much cooler today but the skys are clear.

theotherjonv

I can only imagine the horrors he witnessed at Dieppe.

Imagine TJ home surgerying a boil on his arse outside a tent, and then add some?

mogrim

Please, I’ve just had breakfast! 🤢

kimbers

Imagine TJ home surgerying a boil on his arse outside a tent, and then add some?

A biffins bridge too far

Sandwich

Greater relief than Baden-Powell at Mafeking.

theotherjonv

A biffins bridge too far

Tea and keyboard have just occupied the same co-ordinates in space and time.

tjagain

🤣🙄

tjagain

Second lunch. Thats better. Making good miles so far following the backroads. Heading south west ish . Perfect day for cycling . I found a lovely greenway that i followed for a while and even some singletrack which was a nice change if slow. I came down this. I ain’t climbing it

matt_outandabout

What trailer tyres for singletrack?

tjagain

Camped up south of the Seine between le Havre and Rouen

Good days riding today. Nearly 60 of them

matt_outandabout

^ I’m salivating at that beer

tjagain

tjagain

bridge over the Seine

tjagain

tjagain

tjagain

The beer evaporated . I had to order another and a pizza and chips

Sandwich

After a hard day out my first beer usually sizzles as it goes down.

tjagain

I can hear my bed calling loudly. All those carbs and 3 beers after a days ride in the sun.

Good rote choices today. 400 miles from Amsterdam now and 600 to Bilbao

Bunnyhop

MrOvershoot – I am naughty, as I’ve just spotted a phallic symbol behind tj’s beer. ;O)

MrOvershoot

Bunnyhop

MrOvershoot – I am naughty, as I’ve just spotted a phallic symbol behind tj’s beer. ;O)

I’m glad it was you that mentioned it first as I didn’t want to be the first to mention knobs. It was the first thing that made me laugh/project cider while scanning those pictures.

At first I thought it was a windmill then realised it was an umbrella in the garden.

molgrips
    Free Member

There appears to be a massive traffic-free cycle path down the Atlantic coast:

https://www.cycling-lavelodyssee.com/

willard

I realised that I am partially living through TJs adventure… As I sit at my desk I get pictures of a road trip through places I have never been and, right now, am unlikely to go to. It’s like having a 20 minute holiday every day, but without the risk of boils.

Thank you TJ!

tjagain

Just collected my fresh croissants and baguette. Sitting here with a good coffee feeling very European. I slept like a log last night. Now to plan todays route

Sandwich

There appears to be a massive traffic-free cycle path down the Atlantic coast

Yes there is, it is:
    Narrow and sandy in parts
    Busy like the M25 every Monday morning at this time of the year.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 582 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.