Home Forums Bike Forum Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 582 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride 5. The low countries and France
  • tjagain

Bollox

tjagain

20220814-163135

tjagain

Should be 2 then 1

Campsite then graves then blown up bunker

tjagain

I think I need to clean the lens

retrorick

Don’t use a sand impregnated pair of pants to wipe the lens 😂

tjagain

That the weather changed. 10 degrees colder and a southerly ie headwinds

matt_outandabout

Oh eh….

MrOvershoot

Look on the bright side it could still be really hot and a headwind. Bonne Chance vélo tandem Jeremy

tjagain

One of those weird coincidences. A chap i know from leith was on the same campsite last night. Small world

Breeze is only slight and its 20 something degrees. Cooler than yesterday’s mid 30s

On the road again. Well actually having second breakfast

weeksy

I don’t post much on stuff like this, but it’s a brilliant thread and i’m really pleased you’ve not got bored updating it etc.

tjagain

Im not bored updating. Im on me todd remember. You lot bored replying?

It will also be a good record for me if and when i get home🙄🤣

Sandwich

Small world

Wouldn’t want to undercoat it though!

tjagain

Got thru le Tourquet with losing the eurovelo. Woopeee

Now a belayed first lunch of bread cheese and nectarines. No sign of the promised rain

Bunnyhop

The Perfect lunch.
    Bread, cheese and nectarines for me too.

leffeboy

No sign of the promised rain

Arriving at 2pm I think.  Better find yourself a bar to hide in

alpin
    Free Member

Awesome stuff!

Your set up looks very similar to mine back in 2003, London to Munich, with the Bob.

Jealous.

thepurist

Now a belayed first lunch of bread cheese and nectarines.

How much further before you can find a roadside crepe?

sofaman

How much further before you can find a roadside crepe?

Or roadside moules from a producteur. The one we found (somewhere near Cancale) would sell us moules + wine, but could not do chips – pick them up from next door and bring them back they said. The chip van was next door – presumably getting a chippy license is harder than alcohol sales, being France :-)

matt_outandabout

One of those weird coincidences. A chap i know from Leith was on the same campsite last night. Small world

He had run all that way to get away from you and still you stalked bumped into him.

molgrips
    Free Member

He had run all that way to get away from you

Must be about ooh, 500 miles…

(lol, it actually is near enough bob on 500 miles from Leith to Le Touquet according to Google Maps walking directions. How’s that for a coincidence?)

tjagain

😀

Found a campsite. Now need to work out where i am

Edit. Disappointingly close to last night. Again eurovelo is loads longer than direct route. I may have to rethink my strategy. Thevroutes are nice tho

Im.about 20 miles south of le Tourquet

matt_outandabout

Now need to work out where i am

In a campsite.
    HtH

kimbers

I too am thoroughly enjoying this thread

I keep hearing these lyrics as I read it tho

molgrips
    Free Member

Again eurovelo is loads longer than direct route. I may have to rethink my strategy. Thevroutes are nice tho

Bear in mind that most roads in France are much quieter than UK roads so you don’t need to avoid them as much. I think if you stick to D roads (département roads) then you will probably get somewhere whilst having a good time.

matt_outandabout

Pmsl at littlest Hobo.

I think we’re all vicariously going on a tour out of jealousy…

MrOvershoot

I agree with Molegrips, D roads are usually really nice the surface can be a bit variable mind.

I did Normandy, Brittany and down to the Loire on a touring bike and sometimes would not see another vehicle for 15 minutes (like Northumberland).
    There were plenty of villages with enough shops/markets for baguettes, tomatoes & cheese or bars for Frites & Omelette and the odd lunchtime beer. I did use campsites though as I need a shower before slipping into a sleeping bag.

tjagain

Ta. I think I will do that . Getting pissed off at the wiggly and slow eurovelo

Still first week from Amsterdam and i am a quarter of the way there with 4 more weeks. I have a boil on the bum however which is a pain. Literally 🙄

Day off needed. Today was day 7 of riding. Wednesday weather looks pish so i might hole up.in a hotel for 2 nights tuesday and Wednesday.

My little bit of french is working. Tonight the woman on the campsite had no English

pondo

We’ve only cycled in touristy places, but I think the drivers we’ve encountered have been generally more considerate of cyclists in France than their UK bretheren. Bon route! :)

Sandwich

Must be about ooh, 500 miles…

Is he a Proclaimer?

I’m currently hearing this https://youtu.be/snXXOBMlqBU

tjagain

It just rained!

Decisions made I think. Another day or two on eurovelo then i can pick up a greenway heading south. Todays ride is awfully wiggly but looks really nice

I might well hole up in a hotel for a couple of days.

Ill try to take more pics for you all.

molgrips
    Free Member

I might well hole up in a hotel for a couple of days.

Sounds wise and comfy in your position.

Bunnyhop

Good job, you’re a nurse, a boil on the bum is no laughing matter. Especially when cycling.

lesshaste

tj re route finding for d roads, have a look at cycletravel. I’ve used it as a route finder loads, its generally very good and it works in Europe. Perfect for the d roads.
    You can enter where you want to be tonight, next week or even the final destination of your journey. It should then send you the most direct way avoiding as many busy roads and steep hills as possible. It mostly manages the busy road bit, not so much the hills!
    You need to use common sense in big cities though as it can get a bit around the houses.
    It can also be used to spot campsites that might be near your stopping point for that night.
    Apologies if you knew about this already, I’m really enjoying following your wanderings, hope the arse bears up!

tjagain

Ta. Thats helpful

Im finding i need to use several different websites to find good routes. Each one does something different

Just started to spot with rain. Far too hot to wear waterproofs

tjagain

Some fine aged goats cheese for lunch and a rather delicious raspberry tart

BikePawl
    Free Member

Warm and wet ideal conditions for an old school cycling cape

tjagain

Holed up in a hotel fi on the edge of Dieppe. Not a great place for a rest day.

Ill see what i feel like in the morning.

Good miles today on a mix of eurovelo and map reading

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Yeh,I always imagined Dieppe as Middlesbrough on Frog.

MrOvershoot

Well it’s twinned with Brighton! Take that how you like.

susepic

Well it’s twinned with Brighton! Take that how you like.

So what you’re saying is TJ will have a choice of great restaurants and bijou coffee shops for dinner and breakfast?

There are some great charcuterie and boulangeries in the middle of Dieppe by the marina/port, and worth a trip from the outskirts

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 582 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.