Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Titanium – worth it?
  • Gunz
    Free Member

Gunz, I wasn’t suggesting you sell it, just trying to make a point about the longevity of Ti. I only sold mine because I wanted discs and the Litespeed Ti hardtail I have now is awesome. BWTF do I know!

Oldboy, I think you’ve misinterpreted my post or I haven’t got my point across properly. Totally agree with what you’re saying and, in a parallel universe, if I could afford a Litespeed, I’d go for it as well.
    This is obviously no use to you now but the A2Z disc mount I retro fitted to the Hei Hei works perfectly, well worth keeping in mind if you’re ever tempted to buy another old one.

massmoor
    Free Member

I have owned/ridden all the below Ti frames.

Cove Hummer (Llitespeed).
    Custom Ti 26er frame (XCAD).
    Ragley Ti (Lynskey).
    Lynskey M240.
    Salsa a la Carte Ti (Lynskey).
    White 19 Ti (Melin?)
    On-One Tibred (Lynskey?).

All good frames and all ride slightly different. The one I like the most is the Ragley Ti and one I like the least is the Hummer. Is it worth the extra cash over steel, who knows? I’ve not ridden a high Steel frame but if its all riding its all good.

Now on the look out for a Titanium 29er frame to set up as a fully rigid single speed, something like the Ragley TD-1 or another Lynskey.

BadlyWiredDog

Then, after two years, the top-tube cracked just behind the headtube.

Sorry, meant the downtube if anyone gives a stuff. Post 24-12 solo blurry.

chiefgrooveguru

Sorry, meant the downtube if anyone gives a stuff. Post 24-12 solo blurry.

I did! Almost responded at the time because I couldn’t see why they’d messed with the downtube… I’m appalled by how they’ve dealt with this problem.

It does seem to me though that titanium isn’t the right material for ‘hardcore hardtails’, there’s just too much of a durability issue. But if a manufacturer chooses to make such a bike in Ti then they should stand by their product if it fails within a reasonably short timescale.

BadlyWiredDog

I did! Almost responded at the time because I couldn’t see why they’d messed with the downtube… I’m appalled by how they’ve dealt with this problem.

It does seem to me though that titanium isn’t the right material for ‘hardcore hardtails’, there’s just too much of a durability issue. But if a manufacturer chooses to make such a bike in Ti then they should stand by their product if it fails within a reasonably short timescale.

The thing is, I think Lynskey feel that they have stood by their product, but I don’t think what they’ve done is reasonable, but what makes it really irksome is that they will not communicate with me, either during the repair process or afterwards. So much for their renowned customer service.

Like I said, I’ve actually offered to pay Lynskey to return the frame to its original spec or an equivalent one, because I genuinely love the bike and just want it to be what it was originally, which it currently isn’t.

I’ve reached a point where I don’t think Lynskey give a stuff about their customers and I don’t have any faith that they have any intention of even engaging in a dialogue with me, let alone sorting out my frame properly.

I’m posting this mostly as a warning to other Ragley Ti owners and potential buyers of Lynskey-made frames generally. I was told by Hotlines that the frame would be repaired to the original spec unless there was a very good reason otherwise and that Lynskey understood cyclists’ emotional engagement with their bikes.

Like I said, go figure.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Another Soda owner here.

it’s just a lighter bendier Soul

Yup – and that’s *exactly* why I love it so much. The best way I can put it, is that it’s got more of a spring to it’s step. Some people find them too whippy, but it suits me perfectly (10st skinny bugger). I’ve owned mine since new (no. 5 off the first production run), and I’ll be utterly gutted if I ever manage to break it.

Compared to the 853 Soul frame, its about 25% lighter, which is a big chunk, and even on a complete build it’s noticeable.

I keep thinking about a Ti road frame, but I’m sufficiently weight weenie that I can’t get past the weight penalty any metal frame carries over a (much cheaper) carbon one. (still not sold on the idea of carbon for crashing on big pointy rocks off road though!)

BadlyWiredDog

And this is what used to be my Ragley Ti frame 😕

scotroutes

I did for a short while. I had an mmmbop that was great to ride but felt a bit harsh. I managed to get a decent deal on a Ti version, rode it for a few months and then decided I really, really wanted a fatbike so it was sold to fund that. Northwind still owns my old Ragley and I don’t think he’s broken it yet 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

Fingers crossed it doesn’t break on him… I’ve had a Blue Pig, an Mmmbop and a Ti and before it cracked, the Ti was a sort of genius fusion between the others, kind of steel spring but with aluminium weight and great geometry.

brant
    Free Member

I’m posting this mostly as a warning to other Ragley Ti owners and potential buyers of Lynskey-made frames generally. I was told by Hotlines that the frame would be repaired to the original spec unless there was a very good reason otherwise and that Lynskey understood cyclists’ emotional engagement with their bikes.

Like I said, go figure.

Drop me a line and I’ll sort you a price on a Ti456 Evo.

Or there’s my (Lynskey repaired) Ragley Ti hung on the back of my bike room door. It’s an 18in one with a 31.6mm seat post size.

BadlyWiredDog

Cheers Brant, you’re a star, I’ll drop you a line later. I ride a 16″ btw or I’d bite your hand off on the offer of a Ragley frame.

br
    Free Member

Brant – are you going to offer a 456Ti (equivalent) 29er?

Love mine, but considering replacement to a Kinesis Sync 29er.

brant
    Free Member

Brant – are you going to offer a 456Ti (equivalent) 29er?

Love mine, but considering replacement to a Kinesis Sync 29er.

That’d be the Titus Fireline Evo 29er?

Northwind

scotroutes – Member

Northwind still owns my old Ragley

Nah, borrowing yours planted the seed but it was a bit too small, so I ended up buying a medium (after an unhappy foray into carbon 456 ownership) Going well!

chiefgrooveguru

The best way I can put it, is that it’s got more of a spring to it’s step. Some people find them too whippy, but it suits me perfectly (10st skinny bugger).

I think this sums up the complexities of hardtail frame choices – so much depends on your size and weight and strength and riding style and the amount of flex that feels right to you.

Northwind

JonEdwards – Member

Yup – and that’s *exactly* why I love it so much.

Oh yeah- it wasn’t meant as a criticism, I really like it. Just that the Ragley does something none of the other Ragleys do, whereas the Soda is more like an extension of the Soul than a completely different thing of its own. Better (if it’s to your taste anyway, I know some folks find the old Soda too bendy) but not black/white.

Kuco

My Enigma Ego Ti

Paid £630 for it when Wiggle was selling the frames off. It’s the bike I always grab when going for a solo ride. It’s got a mix of Sram X9/X0 gears and cranks on though not the SLX in the pic.

scotroutes

Oh aye – right enough. 😳

Northwind

Spare your blushes though- it’s the best hardtail I’ve had, and I’ve had some bloomin nice hardtails, and I might not have had the nerve to spend that much if not for that loan. So, cheers!

somafunk

Late to the party/discussion as usual but i own two TI bikes, my Cove Hummer (lynskey built) as below and the pic below that is my Kinesis Tripster ATR, both bikes are just sublime to ride, yeah i know it’s crap word but is very fitting in describing the ride quality of both bikes, i’ve had email discussions with Don Erwin at Lynskey when i wanted to change the Cove Hummers existing 30mm seatpost post shim for a 27.2mm shim so i could fit a KS Lev Dropper post and i can only praise the service i received.

Don/the engineers at Lynskey machined a suitable shim and shipped it over to scotland completely free of charge so i have every faith that if anything (god-forbid) happens to my Lynskey built Hummer they will honour whatever warranty i have.

The Kinesis Tripster ATR is also fantastic and it can eat up the miles on rough roads/forest roads/singletrack without a worry about vibration or transmission of road rumble, very-very comfortable to ride to the point that i found i had done near enough 500miles on it in the first week. I’ve not been out on it in 4 days so i’m getting withdrawal symptoms but i need rest and sleep after spending the last 5 days working at the wickerman festival with less than 4hrs sleep per night so recovery comes first unfortunately – but come sunday i’ll be heading off for a long run into the hills and beyond.

Is titanium worth it for me?…yeah i can justify it pretty easy as i have no-one to say otherwise or complain when i spend all my cash on bikes, i’ve had custom steel frames from Soulcraft that cost more than the frames below and that was every bit as good to be ride in the real world to be fair and i’d love another custom steel frame at some point – perhaps a Shand.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@somafunk – I want a go on that Tripster ATR so badly!!

somafunk

Ti’z a shameful admission but the Hummer has been languishing in the corner since my Tripster arrived, if you’re ever in the Dumfries & Galloway region then give me a shout as it’s available for test rides etc, (i work in a bike shop).

The Tripster has honestly blown me away with how capable a bike it is, i get to build/ride £6k+ Ibis custom builds along with other very nice bikes but this ATR is something else altogether.

Very happy wi it indeed 😀 I do feel the need do upgrade to Middleburn cranks/Hope BB and Enve or Thomson bars though so it’s a work in progress , undecided on wheels/hubs as of yet as the Kinesis CX wheelset is pretty hard to find fault with.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I need to twist Dom’s arm for the demo one, they are only just “down the road” from me. The only trouble is of course I may like it too much. I have a perfectly useable Kinesis FiveT, but I just love the feel of Ti frames and I think a cross bike with discs would be a perfect compliment for the others 😉

somafunk

Sounds like you’ve already set aside the funds in your head to buy one, why bother with a test ride as that will just delay the purchase? – get it ordered t’morn – you know it makes sense 😀

Dom has certainly struck gold wi this one, utterly fantastic to ride.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

That’ll be the problem then, set aside in my head is not exchangeable in the real world!! Got a pile of bits and the FF29 frame to sell so you never know, I might scrape it together yet…..

BadlyWiredDog

A quick update on my warrantied Ragley Ti frame mentioned above. Since I made the original post, I’ve been in discussion with Lynskey and they’ve very reasonably agreed to sort things out for me. I won’t go into the details, but basically I’m happy with the arrangement and it’s kind of restored my faith in the brand.

The whole warranty process was a little confused – essentially the warranty is through Hotlines, though the work is obviously by Lynskey – and all I’d say to anyone in a similar scenario with a cracked Ragley Ti is that it’s worth getting clarification in advance on what’s likely to happen to your frame.

There’s a thread elsewhere on here asking whether people have every owned a bike that’s perfect for them, I’ll put my hand up and say that the Lynskey-made Ragley Ti does it for me and hopefully, thanks to Lynskey, it’ll be doing it again in the near future. 🙂

Kuco

Good to hear its getting sorted BWD 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve had my large Kinesis Sync Ti for a couple of weeks now, the main thing I’ve really noticed is how comfortable and adaptable it is, it’s just as happy munching miles and climbs, as it blasting around twisty forest trails. It’s also very responsive when you really put your foot down and very stiff at the rear. So to answer the original OP, I would say Ti is definitely worth it with the right frame design.

cinnamon_girl

Wot’s not to like?

billyboulders
    Free Member

Thats good news BadlyWiredDog. Glad to hear it’s looking more hopeful for you 😀 . I’ll join you and put my hand up as well. Perfect bike for me too.
    Worth it? Yep! every hard earned penny was well spent. 😆

Freshly and successfully repaired good as new Ragley Ti yesterday

IMG_0116 by billyboulders@btinternet.com, on Flickr

BadlyWiredDog

Looking good up there 🙂 I’m chuffed btw. I love the way the bike rides and the way it looks too. Hopefully it’ll all work out. In pre-crack mode:

And basking in sunshine 🙂

siaxminster
    Free Member

Had my Kinesis Sync for a week now, replacing my much loved FF29, awesome upgrade, does everything the FF29 did and way way more, get one

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I loved my Lynskey made 456ti. Now I’ve got Blur LTc though instead and it’s way better.

I thought I’d regret selling the 456 but I don’t.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’ve just built up a lynskey made T’inbred 29er which, although its early days, is riding beautifully.

Reading this thread and seeing how many brands lynskey have built frames for I wonder if that’s why there are ‘more’ reports of their frames braking. They made loads more than everyone else, if they all snap at the same rate you’d expect more of theirs to break as there’s a lot more of them about.

No data or stats to back this up, just wondering, or maybe hoping as I have one!

TiRed

Worth it? No.
    Nice to own? Definitely.
    Performance advantage? Not really.
    Pride of ownership? Definitely.

That said, the Ti in my username is there for a reason 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Titanium – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.