Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)
  • Titanium frames- what do you think of yours?
  • TiRed

I love my Merlin Cyrene. Magic carpet ride, beautiful to look at, now a collectors item. That’s for long hours on the road. For off-road, I shall resort to steel and carbon (if funds allow).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lovemy td-1 but its the geometry/weight not the material that makes it !

RoterStern
    Free Member

I went down the custom ti route and opted for a Seven Sola. There were some extreme teething problems which ended in me getting a second frame out of them and then that one cracked which after some serious wrangling I got a third frame out of them as well. The last and the current frame rode/ride really well but I am under no illusion that ti is for life. I do like the artisan nature of a well made frame however and ti sums it all up for me. However if I were to do it all again I would probably spend my money on a nice carbon frame.

jimw
    Free Member

My Litespeed Kitsuma is simply the best bike I have owned, really suits me. The back end is so comfortable for a hardtail and can take a 120mm fork at the front so suits my local tails. Bought off classifieds a couple of years ago, is still the bike I’d save first from a fire, actually it’s the first thing after the significant other and the dog that I’d save from a fire. Ten years old and still fantastic.

I also acquired (still not really sure how that happened) a Ragley Ti frame off ebay, with 140 fork the front end is more forgiving over rougher stuff and the slack head angle is confidence inspiring but the rear is harsh compared to the Kitsuma. Like the Kitsuma really gets into its stride the harder you push it

cinnamon_girl

Lovin’ my Litespeed Ocoee and will never part with her. She’s seen a few guises over the last 3.5 years but she’s a keeper. 8)

blades2000
    Free Member

I really like mine, Global TH2 which is a Ti and Carbon mix… Pitty its stored in the UK and I’m in Colombia. Think it will be another two years before I get to ride it again 🙁

fasthaggis

Not long back in from my first ride ,on my newly built up VanNick Tuareg.
    Fantastic,needs a few tweaks ,but I flew through the woods. 😀
    Ok,it was dark ,and I had new bike excitement,so everything seemed faster than last week,but hey, it felt great and this frame has been hanging in the attic all winter waiting for spring.
    Now ,why has it been hanging in the attic ?
    Well it’s a replacement frame for the one that I found a crack in last year. 😯

This will be my third Ti frame.
    First one was a bit like a DNA frame that I bought in 1998 from a London frame builder.
    Still have this ,and it has been very good( no cracks,no problems),but being a V brake frame and really only suited to 80mm forks ,I decided to go for something more modern .

So in 2009 I bought a Tuareg frame,got it all built up and took to it right away.
    Did loads of miles on it ,the Trans Rockies and lots of big days out .Just getting ready to head up to the start line at last years 10UTB and spotted the crack.
    Sent it back to VN (after the event 😉 )who were very nice ,they offered me a Zion or for 100euro the newer version Tuareg(which had a taper steerer).

So I got the Tuareg and have been collecting bits to bolt on to it over the last few months.
    Do I worry about it cracking ? nope ( I have a theory why the last one went where it went anyway)
    Would I buy another Ti frame ? Yup ,I love the way they ride,the uncluttered look, and the wee details on the VN does it for me.

Buy whatever bike material you want , buy it because you want it,not because someone told you you should. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

I’d be genuinely interested in how/why you think your first Tuareg cracked – off forum if that helps 🙂

fasthaggis

yup ,not for a public forum Druidh ,an you know what this place is like with Experts 😉

smell_it
    Free Member

I picked up a planet x ti sportive about 2 years ago looking to replace my 04 workhorse alu principia training bike. I already had a parlee for racing and best. As time rolled on the planet x got the least miles, it just didn’t have the zip and zing of the principia and in rides of up to 4/5 hours I didn’t find the extra comfort it offered made a difference to me. Compared to the z4 it just felt like a lump. So I ended up selling it on. I don’t think it was a bad bike, it was light enough, stiff enough and comfy enough; but didn’t really shine in those departments either. It just didn’t offer my riding much at all. There are probably better ti bikes out there, but you asked for personal experience.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Love my ti Setavento – had it 18 months now (bought frame 2nd hand) and the love shows no sign of abating. Has the ‘honest’ ‘pure’ feel of an alloy hardtail, but without any of the boneshakery – therefore great for longer rides. Light and just right.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I love to ride my orange vit-t but only use it as a treat being a lynsky made frame it’s life might be a little shorter than I had hoped.

On the other hand old school merlin road bike 7 years old and countless miles
    It’s much more comfortable than my tcr

freeridenick
    Free Member

Kobe Ti, here. love it…
    a frame well ahead of it time.

ska-49
    Free Member

Ive just gone back to a Ti hardtail for AM/mini-DH ridding having ridden 5-8” bikes for the last 5 years. Unbelivably refreshing to get back on something so efficient and zingy. Titanium is much more comfertable than alu. Theres no way im going back to a FS or Alu/steel frame for a long time. Plus the zising on this is just perfect. Mines a Kingdom Foia V2. Still need to chop the steerer and fit my XTR bits. The frame isnt that light; claimed 1.67 kg but came in at 1.89 kg (4.2 lbs). Its build up fairly light though. Weighs around 26 lbs. Rides realy well with the Talas fork- 100mm for climbing, 130mm for trail and 160mm AM/Dh. I cant think of anything i’d like to change. For now its the perfect bike.

Bruce

Between my partner and I we have owned 6 titanium frames

One of mine got stolen, one had a cracked weld, one had splits along the non drive side chain stay, one has been absolutley fine.

One of partners bikes had splits in the seat stay above the disk caliper, the other is fine.

neither of us have never broken any other frame, I really like the ride of titanium and lack of paint but for two, wheels on the ground riders to break that many frames points to a problem with the material, design or construction.

druidh
    Free Member

Bruce – Member
    One of mine got stolen, one had a cracked weld, one had splits along the non drive side chain stay, one has been absolutley fine.

One of partners bikes had splits in the seat stay above the disk caliper, the other is fine.Makes and models?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a 90s raleigh ti – great bike but very harsh ride.

Bruce

I don’t really want to datails, but all one mine came from reputable US manufactures of titanium bikes.

SimonR

I was very sceptical about the “magic carpet” ride quality of Ti frames … until I bought a Ragley Ti.

Seems to have an aluminium feel in terms of pedalling stiffness and weight but none of the harshness. There is feeling of compliance in the frame that takes the edge of trail chatter but without the flex of a steel frame.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have a Kinesis GF Ti road frame – not comparable to a carbon race bike but a fantastic all rounder – love it 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

bike for life? LOL
    this thread may help to kill that myth.

DaveRambo

I bought a Tuareg frame last year and built it into a 23lb machine.

What do I think of it?

I smile thinking about riding it.
    I smile when riding it
    I smile thinking about having ridden it.

In summary it makes me happy.

druidh
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member
    bike for life? LOL
    this thread may help to kill that myth.

See – other than ironic statements like that made on this forum, I’ve never seen or heard that phrase applied to any bike regardless of frame material.

druidh
    Free Member

druidh – Member
    other than ironic statements like that made on this forum

MrSmith
    Free Member

Production frames will have an engraved headbadge and the cable adjusters will be anodised metal rather than plastic. In keeping with the bike for life idea Kinesis are planning to offer a free frame refinishing service – so every few years you can send it back for a buffing up and a fresh set of decals to keep it all looking crisp.

road.cc

MrSmith
    Free Member

This is the kind of bike-for-life hardtail that many riders aspire to, but few can afford – except in this case, the Rock Lobster Team Titanium really is eminently affordable. What are you waiting for?

bikeradar

MrSmith
    Free Member

For someone seeking a frame with the comfort and durability of steel, the stiffness of aluminium and understated looks Ti is a tempting proposition. In any case, titanium can be a bike for life.

epic cycles uk

MrSmith
    Free Member

Hi all, what do you think of Titanium bikes? which manufacturer would you recommend?
    Why do you not see them in the pro peloton?
    I have been looking around for a ‘classic top end’ bike that will last and like the idea of the ‘life time’ warranty.
    Any comments greatly appreciated.

a uk cycling forum non-ironic post

MrSmith
    Free Member

And now in 2011 we’re still enamoured by Titanium. Producing stunning bicycles that look, ride and last like none other. Add in some custom design finesse and manufacturing expertise and you’ve got a bike for life.

Bruen bikes (ti frame manufacturer)

smell_it
    Free Member

LOL, fine work mrsmith!

druidh
    Free Member

I was gonna post something after your first reply, but you seemed to be having so much fun 🙂

Is that a steel or carbon chip on your shoulder?

jonnyv
    Free Member

Cotic Soda- bloody love it.Fast,whippy,wee bit springy but not too much.up and down the (not tarmac) hill fast and great on bumpy stuff.hates trees.

69er
    Free Member

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is that a steel or carbon chip on your shoulder?

neither. a pervasive internet myth perpetuated by those seeking affirmation from sycophants of their irrational purchases 🙄

BadlyWiredDog

Are people here just too heavy for ti frames?

Bruce

My partner weighs about 8st and she had one crack.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Love my (Ragley) ti – not broken, which considering the lunatic behaviour it encourages and has received over the last 2 and a half years riding is no mean feat!

Kryton57

Bruce – Member
    My partner weighs about 8st and she had one crack

This is a bike forum, not a biology lesson.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

My Cotic Soda has a permanent place in my bike shed. It cracked and was out of warranty and has been in there for the last 4 years waiting for Cy to pick it up! 😉

Not sure why it’s still there, don’t know what to do with it I suppose!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Titanium frames- what do you think of yours?’ is closed to new replies.