Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tips for undoing this sram shifter?
  • mattyfez

Cable replacement, but the screwy cap things seem to be stuck fast, in videos they just unscrew, but after a few wd40 treatments over last week or so, and they are not budging, and I’d hate to break a nail.

Is there a trick to undoing them?

Cheers

eulach

Sorry, can’t help. I had exactly the opposite last week, it worked itself loose and fell off, never to be seen again.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Try harder? Heat it up with a hair dryer?

jamj1974

They just undo.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you need to? Shift to the lowest remove the billing in the side feed cable out.

jamj1974

iIRC you don’t need to remove them. Isn’t there a cable port on the outside edge (Lever-side) of the unit?

mattyfez

There might be, I’ve not looked that close, I assumed I’d have to spilt the casing to get the ‘anchor’ of a new cable in.

I shall investigate, If I can do it like that I’ve been worrying about nothing , cheers

jamj1974

Sorry, my memory appears faulty. I can’t see that on any online resources. I appear to be talking shite.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not the same shifter but traditionally here

mattyfez

Think I need to open it up still, there’s no way I can get the old cable out, or put a new one in

carlos
    Free Member

It just needs a bit more force, I’ve used a pair of pliers before now when mine have been stubborn (7-yr oils X9’s) it just unscrews, mind your fingers if the pliers slip, you get quite a nasty pinch 😥

HTH

Carlos

welshfarmer

Needs to come off. Try shocking it by gently tapping the edge of one of the crenellations with a flat punch held low/parallel to the casing. Remember… lefty loosie, righty tighty 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The old style SRAM 9sp stuff doesn’t have a cable hole on the side, you have to take the lid off with that screw. Try some blunt pliers end on. That should do it.

mattyfez

Pliers worked a treat, screwed straight off.. can’t belive I didn’t try that.. durrr

sweaman2
    Free Member

Sadly you haven’t done the most tricky bit yet which is threading the new cable into the housing…. good luck.

mattyfez

Yeh I did eye up that job, quite a small gap to thread the cable.
    I plan un using the dab of superglue on the end of the cable trick .. hopefully it won’t be too painful.

mattyfez

Ok next question, is it worth fully replacing the cables and outers, the rear cable and outer is relatively new.. assuming the cables are threadable and move ok in the outers.. the set up on this bike has naked cable down the tube, and just outers at the handlebars and on the rear chain stays.

Cheers for the advice 🙂

carlos
    Free Member

If it’s not a full run outer’ I’d not bother replacing them, maybe just a squirt of GT85 down them.

Threading the inner through the shifter needs a little easing with a pick or small screwdriver to get it round the red disc it goes through. Sometimes taking of the barrel adjuster helps for the final bit

Carlos

welshfarmer

If you have exposed gear cables then can I recommend the Black Snake gear cable set….

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-black-snake-gear-cable-set/

2 years of hard use on my orienteering/cross country bike in all weather and still shifting as good as day 1.

mattyfez

On removing the existing inner cables, the end of the rear one was too frayed, so I picked up some generic unbranded inners from halfords.

I don’t have any GT85, but have some WD40, is it worth spraying some down the old outers, or will it gum them up? The outers are pretty short, shifter to down tube for both, and about a 5 inch section from the rear mech, it’s bare cable apart from that.

Cheers

Northwind

Chain lube works well on cables. But tbh with the price of outers, it’s mostly a false economy trying to keep them going- a metre of SP41 shimano cable is about £3…

mattyfez

Cheers, I’ll go with a smidge of chain lube on the inner then, and see how it goes.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tips for undoing this sram shifter?’ is closed to new replies.