Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • TIPS FOR BIKE BUILDING
  • new2this
    Free Member

hi just about to build a hard tail bike, this is going to be my first bike build,its a cube attention frame and away to order further parts on friday so if any of you guys have any good tips it would be much appreciated thanks .best wishes kevin 💡

soma_rich
    Free Member

Dont cut the steerer on the fork until you have ridden it with a few spacers on at least.

Double and triple check you don’t cross thread the bottom bracket!

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Don’t get a few beers in and try to build it on a Friday night before a Glentress trip on Saturday morning. Que shuffling around the workshop on your hands and knees looking for pawls and springs!

orangefatlad
    Free Member

as @soma rich says – Just be very careful with bottom brkt, might be worth getting a lbs to chase the threads. The bottom brkt should go most of the way just using fingers, any more pressure and I’d back off and check the threads. I very nearly knackered my brand new alpine 160 frame on Monday! Frame protectors on early, as long as you know where to put ’em.

angryratio
    Free Member

Take your time.
    Don’t allow new build excitement to get the better of you.

Be really anal about it if you have to and list what you require if it helps do things smoothly.

Oh, and don’t bodge things.. get it right first time.

rwc03
    Free Member

Tub of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARLUBE-LM2-MULTI-PURPOSE-LM-LITHIUM-GREASE-500G-/140505425167?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item20b6c6a50f#ht_635wt_842

(Although I’m sure someone will disagree)

and a dog bowl:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-PARTS-DISH-MAGNETIC-TRAY-MAGNETIC-DISH-4-TIDY-NUTS-SCREWS-BOLTS-NEW-/270818337157?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f0e07e185#ht_1727wt_852

Plus a torque wrench is handy if you don’t have one, otherwise it’s pretty straight forward really. Most things on a bike are simple to do once you’ve read the instructions. Some things you can afford to break, and buy again the amount bike shops charge now a days. Evans wanted £60 to swap and bleed brakes!

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look at the Park Tools website for tips on how to set things up.

Do you have a workstand? Not essential, but certainly helpful. My first bike build was done in the kitchen floor of my flat – made some things a bit fiddly.

wwaswas

Mow your lawn.

It’ll pay dividends when you post your ‘my new bike’ pictures later on.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

do it on a nice flat surface or a tarp, not on a gravel drive or similair, for when you drop stuff.

Get some torque wrenches so you don’t overtighten things.

stcolin
    Free Member

Get a swear box. Keep it beside you. You’ll have enough pounds in it to buy a complete bike once you’re finished.

Good luck! 😀

PaulD
    Free Member

Clean and check the seat tube for internal burrs…or you may get that attractive diamond-back finish on your new seatpost.
    Clean and chase the BB threads.
    Clean and check the head tube before fitting the cups with lots of grease….giving you a sporting chance of getting them out undamaged later.
    Fit full-length outers for gear cables, preferably SP41 with sealed ferrules and stainless XT/XTR inners.
    Remove and grease the replaceable mech hanger bolts.
    Grease the pedal threads before fitting.
    Take your time…and get it right first time.
    It is not a race.

scruff
    Free Member

Old carpet or a blanket underneath bike for when you drop stuff, stops damage & bolts etc wont bounce off under the fridge.

Spend a few £ on decent allen keys.

Grease everything that isnt loctited.

Dont overtighten bolts, a little nip usually suffices.

rwc03
    Free Member

+1 for Blanket/Tarp

Went to tighten a bolt on a bit of decking, allen key landed at the perfect angle and fell between the wood. Swear box was full after that.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Most of it’s been said, but an extra pair of hands is err…handy too.

Paceman
    Free Member

Accept that you may need to take it to your LBS. No shame in that. If in doubt, take it in to show them the problem. Most mechanics will be happy to give you some advice / help.

Better than ruining a frame or expensive component 😯

hilldodger
    Free Member

if it doesn’t fit, use a bigger hammer….

snakebite
    Free Member

scruff – Member

Dont overtighten bolts, a little nip usually suffices.

Some of those Japs are very strong and could easily over tighten a bolt. I bet Bruce Lee in his day had ultra strong fingers and could do bolts up really tight, maybe too tight!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Also consider a local Halford superstore – one with a bikehut.

If you need to resort to the LBS it will probably be less embarassing to go there, or it may be cheaper for things like pressing headsets in/crownraces on.

If your LBS is Evans it may be that the enthusiatic kids at Halfords know more as well ???

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Some of those Japs are very strong

I thought about making a racist joke as well, but decided STW had had it’s fill of them for the moment 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

snakebite – Member

Some of those Japs are very strong and could easily over tighten a bolt. I bet Bruce Lee in his day had ultra strong fingers and could do bolts up really tight, maybe too tight!hmm, I’m guessing that sounds really funny in your head.. 😐

cookeaa

Do not under any circumstances when you have finish refer to the bike as a “Custom Build”.

It is a bike which you assembled yourself and nothing more…

Just take your time, if in doubt ask someone.

p.s. the “Need” for BB/HT facing is a myth, invented by cash strapped LBS owners….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Take your time
    Use the right tools (although I’ve fitted many a headset with wood and hammer)
    Measure things carefully especially steerer
    Use good cable cutters, useful to stick an old bit of inner in when you are cutting your outers as it stops them squashing
    Put your tyres on the right way round
    Grease what needs greasing and threadlock what needs it.
    Dont force things as that usually ends up expensive.

uplink
    Free Member

It’s pretty much obligatory to ride it before you actually finished building it 😉

The odd gear cable, bar grip or even a saddle missing shouldn’t get in the way of that first pootle down the drive

phinw
    Free Member

Don’t forget about those pesky reverse threads (drive side Bottom Bracket, Non-drive pedal).

Get a shop to fit the headset if you are in any doubt about your ability to successfully bodge it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘TIPS FOR BIKE BUILDING’ is closed to new replies.