• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • T'internet is it a good idea to publish your adress & phone no on a website?
  • xcgb
    Free Member

HI Oracle

The missus has made herself a website connected with dogbreeding/showing so it’s kinda semi professional as she does breed litters occasionally, she has our name and adress and phone no on there, is this OK or are we likely to get Nigerian mail etc or have our identity stolen and scammed into next week!

I thought it was OK and its just info anyone can find anyway but thought I’d ask higher beings

Ta

druidh
    Free Member

I’d not deal with a business that didn’t have at least a phone number on their website. An address makes sense for most businesses too.

bencooper
    Free Member

You used to be able to get a big book thing, which was just full of names, addresses and phone numbers 🙂

nbt

If you’re running a website for a commercial business then it’s a legal requirement to have contact details like a postal address and a phone number. Whether it should be your home details is different perhaps

atlaz
    Free Member

What nbt says… then what druidh says.

xcgb
    Free Member

Yeah but its not a business, just a serious hobby really its mainly there to keep in touch with other breed people and people that have had dogs off us in the past, and to share photos etc

xcgb
    Free Member

You used to be able to get a big book thing, which was just full of names, addresses and phone numbers

Really what was that called? 🙂

Ok just thought i’d ask as she was concerned about being targeted

Ta for the replies

davidjones15
    Free Member

If you’re worried, why not have a look at your local enterprise/innovation/hotdesking/workspace place?
    http://www.e-innovationcentre.co.uk/thinking-of-relocating-or-starting-a-business/launch-pad-unit
    Proper business address, not PO Box and extra facilities for not much dinero.

jota180
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it big time scammers and spammers buy lists rather than randomly browse doggy websites

clubber
    Free Member

Try recaptcha or similar as a way to avoid the spambots.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha

joemarshall
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much – you can perfectly legally buy a cd with names and addresses of everyone in the UK on it, anyone in mail or telephone marketing owns it, pretty standard. Only won’t have you if you aren’t on the electoral roll, and have never given your address or phone number to any of the companies they buy data off. When I had access to a copy, it had us and our phone number on, despite being exdirectory, and having ticked every box on every darned form, goodness knows where it came from.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’d be cautious personally

how about using a friends/relatives address?
    that way you’ll get letters etc if anybody decides to send you a letter
    but identity theft wouldn’t work ‘cos they wouldn’t match in the “system”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Should be fine, we’ve two businesses reg’d at our home address and contact numbers too, all posted on two websites.

So far “fingers crossed”

So FAR “again fingers crossed”

We’ve not been scammed and had not random mail nor calls.

However, I ran a business a few years ago that was scammed, mainly because we used to advertise. So suggest if it’s small scale and not mass propogation you ought to be ok.

However I have friend, Nigerian Man friend who happens to have…….. and is looks for help in UK

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t worry about displaying the info, but I would worry about spambots feasting on it and spamming you to death.
    Take some very simple precautions against that.

You could obfuscate the email and telephone numbers by replacing the HTML code in the site with some generated from here:
    http://www.albionresearch.com/misc/obfuscator.php

phil.w
    Free Member

I’d not deal with a business that didn’t have at least a phone number on their website. An address makes sense for most businesses too

Legally all businesses must have a contact address on their website.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers chaps I have now learnt a new word today too! obfuscate like it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘T'internet is it a good idea to publish your adress & phone no on a website?’ is closed to new replies.