Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ti bolts – any place on a steel bike ?
  • iainc

Need to replace a couple of M5 bolts on brake bar clamps as a bit rounded. Some not bad priced titanium ones on eBay. Is there any benefit over steel in real life ?

aa
    Free Member

you’ll know its ti.

It’s nice.

Just do it!

My steel ss has a thomson stem with ti bolts. Lovely.

oxym0r0n

Ti bolts holding brakes onto my Solaris 😀
    Edit: partly because they are open to the elements at both ends and ti does not rust

bullroar
    Free Member

Ti bolts keep brakes in place on the bars of my BFe.

iainc

OK, you’ve convinced me 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Alu for lever clamps, half the weight, 1/4 the cost!

sv

+1 for Alu.

Bez

He’s rounded off steel bolt heads, I don’t think aluminium is wise here 🙂

_daveR
    Free Member

What’s the easiest way to work out what you need to order? I want to put ti and some Ali bolts on mine.

Northwind

Let’s say they’re no more absurd on a steel bike than they are on anything else 😉 Only trouble is, sometimes cheap ones aren’t that well made, frinstance Superstar/Tibolts ones often have pretty slack caps which makes them easier to round out. But it’s hard to know what you’re getting til you get it.

mrelectric

^ I find ball end types more prone to rounding out but this product desc says “Hex-Plus profile prevents rounding out.” It that real or marketing?

iainc

I use good wera allen keys, and ain’t particularly cack handed. Will try some mid price online bolts. Thanks

ndthornton
    Free Member

It’s a start – now buy a Ti frame to screw them in to

njee20
    Free Member

This:

I use good wera allen keys, and ain’t particularly cack handed

And this:

Need to replace a couple of M5 bolts on brake bar clamps as a bit rounded

Do not really tally.

iainc

njee – indeed, however I had to do a trailside fix after a tumble and my multitool wasn’t all it could be…..replaced with a Hexus a few days ago..

RobHilton
    Free Member

I find ball end types more prone to rounding out but this product desc says “Hex-Plus profile prevents rounding out.” It that real or marketing?

Don’t use the ball end often, the other end is a bit of a funny shape and seems to be the selling point, couldn’t vouch for how good v others, but they’re way better than the bog standard ones they replaced.

Northwind

Looks like it’s supposed to grip in the corners of the socket not on the faces. Never really convinced that’s a good idea, engages a small area well rather than a big area weakly so it’ll depend on the bolt as well as the tool.

d45yth
    Free Member

For those mentioning ball-head allen keys…the ball end isn’t supposed to be used for loosening tight bolts! They’re designed for bolts that are bad to get at. Even then you loosen the bolt off with the flat end first, then use the ball-head to unscrew it.

RobHilton
    Free Member

d45yth
    Free Member

It would seem some don’t/didn’t know! 😀

iainc

6 pack of bolts ordered from tibikes. Here’s hoping 🙂

iainc

Ordered 345 yesterday, arrived an hour ago, good quality, well machined, speedy delivery 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ti bolts – any place on a steel bike ?’ is closed to new replies.