Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Thule roof bike carrier
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

This will be my first bike carrier so know very little abut them.

In the past I have either thrown the bike in the boot or rode to my destination but now need to carry the bikes outside the car.

Can someone recommend me a thule roof carrier for mountain bikes.
    If it makes any difference it will be going on a MK6 golf with square roof bars.

theraggyone
    Free Member

Thule proride 591:)

mattstreet

Thule proride 591

This.

Haze

Outride 561 and a wheelbag, your downtube will thank you for it.

cnud
    Free Member
    MoreCashThanDash

591 works for us with mountain bikes made of varying substances, and flimsy carbon road bikes.

A mate wraps a piece of chamois (leather, not an old pad from his shorts!) around his downtube when he is worried about his precious bike. Usually on the ride afterwards he misjudges a bend and hits a drystone wall…. 🙄

Pete-B
    Free Member

Another vote for 591.

slackboy

thule 591 again.

Basil

Thule 561.
    Front wheel in wheel bag. Seat post through wheel bag handle to keep front wheel outside the car, confident driving without wobble bike on roof paranoia.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Thule 591

For the additional cost get aero or whisper bars much quieter and you’ll not regret it.

Olly
    Free Member

I went with a 561 for a (slightly) lower profile, easier mounting of bike onto rack, and the bike feels more secure. (ive known of clamping arms shift and the bike falling over while still tied on by the wheels)

Disadvantage being if its a 20mm bolt there is no security as far as leaving the bike unattended, but i wouldnt leave any rack unattended myself.

my bike faces backwards, so the bottom of the steerer tube (under the fork crown) whistles from time to time on the motorway, which can get a shade irritating, but its by no means all the time. I reckon a 591 would still do it.

TBH if i was going to go again, i would consider a rear mounted rack i think to keep the bikes out the wind (slows the car down a surprising amount), but i had the roof bars already, have no tow hitch, and the upper lip of my boot is plastic trim, so it would have cost loads more for what is occasional use.

Ikea bags for front wheels in the boot.

Pete-B
    Free Member

For the additional cost get aero or whisper bars much quieter and you’ll not regret it.

Also agree. After 30 years of square (oh, alright, rectangular) bars i treated myself to Thule Aeros. So much quieter & minimal impact on fuel economy (without a bike atop).

Pete-B
    Free Member

TBH if i was going to go again, i would consider a rear mounted rack i think to keep the bikes out the wind (slows the car down a surprising amount),

A friend has a Thule tow bar mounted rack for his SUV as the roof’s so bloody high.
    It’s a lovely bit of kit, obviously easier to load bikes on. Minor drawback of increased vehicle length & remembering it’s there when reversing but it still impacts on fuel economy. Probably because it messes up the air-flow at the back of the vehicle.

timmys

Not sure what damage you could do to the downtube other than rubbing the paint but I just use a bit of helitape.

simondbarnes

561. I’d never clamp the downtube of a bicycle, they’re quite thin and not designed to take a clamping force there.

mattbilliard
    Free Member

Another one for 591. Just got back from a 1000 mile round trip with 4 bikes on top and no problems

fadda

Errrm… I’ll very shortly have some (3) 591s for sale, along with a set of VW roof bars for a mk6 Golf…

Email in profile if interested, OP…

Basil

PS
    MPG 561 not so good.

jacob46
    Free Member

Thule outride 561 & wheel holder.
    Awesome bit of kit. Can leave the bike unattended (after putting wheel inside car)

Don’t bother with the other ones, scratch he’ll out of your downtube.

561 very secure.

Haze

Also worth considering any carbon you might have (or likely to own)

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m very unconvinced that torque through the fork dropout is safer than at the downtube. The moment around the dropout must be far higher. As such I’ve bought a 591 and I’m very happy with it.

Actually, a big factor for not getting the 561 was that it needs different adaptors for QR/15mm/20mm and it’s apparently not easy to switch. I have bikes with all three dropout sizes so the adaptors sounded faffy, as does removing a wheel unnecessarily.

timmys

Don’t bother with the other ones, scratch he’ll out of your downtube.

You’re doing it wrong.

Pete-B
    Free Member

The down tube wall may be thin but very little clamping force is used & apart from that it is a very strong area. Has to be otherwise you’d tear the frame apart pedalling.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

I bought 4 x 532s as they are a bit cheaper. Carried too All-mountain MTBs and 2 x light carbon road bikes all around Scotland over the last few weeks and worked perfectly.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Thule roof bike carrier’ is closed to new replies.