Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Three to introduce Ad Blocking
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

I run ad blocking on all my devices for security and privacy reasons.. Not having to look at as many ads is a happy bonus. Having your isp block ads as well is most welcome.
    Are 3 doing it for partially selfish reasons? Of course, but thier customers will mutually benefit.

How do you propose paying for the content? And the hosting and all that?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mike websites only have themselves to blame for allowing (encouraging ?) ads to become so intrusive

saxabar
    Free Member

Err, is Shine’s tech legal? I’m all for giving folk choice, but doesn’t it use Deep Packet Inspection and get tangled in interception laws?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but if the end result pay walls is that a good thing? I don’t like the way ads have taken over but I also know stuff doesn’t come for free. I will live with ads for places I don’t visit that often (BBC has video adds overseas for instance) but give me an option to remove them and fund the resources I’m using then that’s great.

grahamt1980

Personally i don’t mind most ads. The ones that annoy the hell out of me are the videos that appear on pages as you scroll down. That has resulted in me not going on some pages now. Independent newspaper being one of the worst

footflaps

Err, is Shine’s tech legal? I’m all for giving folk choice, but doesn’t it use Deep Packet Inspection and get tangled in interception laws?

DPI is less and less useful these days as more and more sites use https (encrypted connections), which effectively means DPI just sees random numbers and has no idea what content you’re seeing.

saxabar
    Free Member

@footflaps, yep, but it will be interesting to see if this gets noticed. Phorm who also used DPI a few years back [rightly] got caught in a huge stink. I know the Shine folk are trying to do the right thing (I’ve met the CEO), but there still seems to be scope to get caught out by RIPA and the Data Protection Directive (and I guess GDPR but I’d have to check)

snaps
    Free Member

Independent newspaper being one of the worst

One of ours is all but unusable due to these.

Cougar

You know you can disable auto-play videos in your browser, yes?

On Chrome, type chrome://chrome/settings/content in the address bar. Scroll down to the Plug-ins section and choose “Let me choose when to run plugin content.”

I have *counts* 37 tabs open on my browser currently. I can only imagine what life would be like if I hadn’t disabled auto-play.

grahamt1980

Yeah I disabled video autoplay in the end but it just annoyed me

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Three to introduce Ad Blocking’ is closed to new replies.