• This topic has 50 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Thoughts please on Commencal Meta 5.5
  • Elspaniel
    Free Member

Got the offer of a brand new 2009 Meta 5.5 (kermit green one) for good money – it comes with Revelation team u-turn forks, bonty wheels, full slx, bonty finishing kit, Fox shock with three stage pro pedal etc…

What are people’s thoughts about them? Coming from a xc/race type background but probably eventually wanting to ‘vive la difference’ of a fun bike (this?) with a mile munching fast carbon 29er.

Someone on here must have an opinion… 😀

Cheers

barrykellett
    Free Member

What size is it

MRanger156
    Free Member

Very fun bike that is massively capable. I’d want a warranty though unless it is dirt cheap.

Elspaniel
    Free Member

It’s a large (for an almost 6 footer). I did wonder about size…

Full shop warranty with it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i never liked mine. sold the frame and bought a 456 – much better. shame i spent £600 to find this out.

Gribs

Great going down but can feel cramped when climbing. At 5’10 a medium feels much to small for me to use as a all day bike, the large is much better but gives me no standover clearance. They’re also a bit heavy.

retro83
    Free Member

I’d avoid the 2009 ones personally. Even if warrantied it’s going to be a ball ache if it goes el cracko when you’re out on a ride. Great bike though, really good fun to rag about on 😀

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

2009 Meta 5.5. Not had one but have some advice:

What warranty does it come with? Can you live without it for a month or two if the warranty is required? Beaware that the distributer changed since this was imported and the shop will have to deal with Commencal direct for any replacement (I’m in that boat at the moment – again). Replacement last time took 13 weeks. Hoping for better this time.

2010 onwards are much much more relialbe (apparently).

tomhoward

Check, double check, then check again that the frame hasnt any cracks in it, 2009 wasnt a great year for commencal. Id be very cautious if it looks like its take a beating too.

Elspaniel
    Free Member

Blimey – glad I asked, all good stuff.

Anyone got any photo’s they want to share of them (or the broken bike disasters they might become!)

MRanger156
    Free Member

2007 Model

It had a hard life and I don’t blame manufacture issues for the crack.

Large should be the right size for you. I replaced mine with a Transition Covert and whilst the covert is better its not my much imo.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Initially bought a 2009 Large.
    Broke it at the seat tube/top tube weld after 6 months. Propogated rearwards from weld through seat tube.
    Sizing wise: had to swap the 350 seat post for a 400 (6’2″, 34″ inside leg).

2009 was a bad year. 2010 introduced changes

Warranty replaced with a 2010 XL.
    Much better build quality. All previous issues fully addressed.
    Better sizing for me.

Overall impressions:
    Excellent bikes on fast downhill stuff but not so great on the ups as the seat angle puts you a long way back. I had to run my seat all the way forward on the rails to get a better climbing position.
    Stock bars/stem were hopelessly narrow/long. Swapped for a 50mm stem and 745 bars, which transformed the bike into something quite capable on steeper downs.
    Rear suspension is very, very good IMHO. Never felt it bottom out despite running about 30% sag and some clumbsy landings to flat from up to 6′ drops.
    Back end feels flexy though and really benefitted from upgrading QR to bolt-through.

By way of comparison: I’ve since bought a 20″ 2011 Orange Five, which feels smaller and more manouverable, better on techy stuff and climbs better too without being any inferior on the fast descents. The rear sus on the Five does not feel as good as the Meta’s though IMHO and I’m frequently using all the travel despite running less sag than I would on the Meta.

I do like the Meta 5 but would suggest it needs a few mods to get the most out of it:
    1. Shorter stem and wider bars
    2. Double and bash
    3. Chain device (stinger)
    4. Bolt-through rear axle

Just an opinion. Hope that it helps.

stcolin
    Free Member

I had a 2009, replaced with a L 2010 after the seat tube crack. I echo the above post, good bike can be made a little sharper with those changes. I’m running QR front and back, and to be honest, I don’t know any different so it works for me. Suspension is very nice, rear end does feel limitless in it’s travel. I think the climbing postion is good for me, though I think it’s too short for me anyway, but this can be advantageous at times.

If it comes with a warranty, go for it.

Colin

Elspaniel
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks everyone.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a Meta 5 for 4 years now, I first have a 2007 which cracked on the downtube rocker mount and I got a 2009 (large) frame as a replacement which I’ve been riding until last week (just upgraded to Yeti ASR5). Mine also cracked at the seattube as described above, but out of warranty, apparently a common problem*

I agree entirely with what Ecky thump – everything he says is spot on.

Great for going down, nice angles mean it’s fast. OK for going back up but the seat is in the wrong place so the front wheel wanders a lot. Grip is phenomenal though, it tracks the ground beautifully and the travel feels bottomless. Back end is really flexy though (I never upgraded to bolt-through).

*Because the crack on mine was above the seattube-toptube weld, I figured it wasn’t a structural problem as such, the integrity of the front triangle was intact. So I figured I could fix it. I used a section of an old 30.9 seatpost cut flush with the top of the seat tube, and bolted through at the bottom end. I then used a smaller diameter seatpost which fit into inner diameter of the 30.9 seatpost. Essentially I just installed a new section of tube within the seat tube. At first I imagined this would be a temporary fix, but I managed to ride the bike for 6 months like that with no problems at all…

ffej
    Free Member

Had a 2009 which cracked.. replaced with 2010 which I still ride and love! I’ll echo what others have said, they are fantastic on the downs, and pretty good up hill too. No “bob” problems, never bother with the propedal. Fitted a shorter stem but still run with the stock bars.

I’d have another without hesitation.

J

Crag
    Free Member

Had a 2008, cracked it.
    Got a 2009, cracked it.
    Got a 2010, sold it and got a 5spot.
    Wish I’d kept the Meta.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Now we’ve built all this love, is it a good point to introduce the fact that I’ll have my 2010 XL up for sale shortly as I can’t justify keeping both the Meta 5 and the Orange 5.

The bike’s currently in the possession of a buddy who’s been trying it out, so I can’t get any pics up yet but will get some soonest if anyone’s interested.

Here’s my previous ad

Please post on the ad if interested.

jeff

Cracked an 07 and an 08 here.

07 went exactly like MRanger’s one above.

My 08 frame has multiple cracks – once you spot one, you find all the other ones!

Loved it when it was going.

Re size, I’m 6ft and rode a medium on all dayers. Was considering getting a size large if I went for the crash replacement deal from commencal though.

Kuntoilija
    Free Member

I had -09 green Meta (the best color ever), which cracked as typical. I bought Turner 5 Spot -09 frame (got it half price) and build it with new parts. After long warranty process I got new -11 Meta frame and built it with new and old parts. I have to admit that like more my Meta than Turner.

But I would stay away from -09 Meta frames.

gingerss
    Free Member

2009 – I can hear it cracking already.

Excellent hooning bike and not too bad at climbing either. Admittedly I do also like my 456 more, which is probably a testament to on-one rather than a criticism of Commencal.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Absolutely love my 2007 Meta 5.5

Am making the most of it while waiting for the cracks… so far it has survived a trip to Morocco, three Alps trips and as much abuse as trail riding in Scotland can throw at it. It seems to eat up the miles, climbs well and is a joy when you point it downwards.

I have had it from new, thrown abuse at it, come off it and dropped it down various rock faces and it is still in one piece – guess its just the luck of the draw.

jwab
    Free Member

I’m also looking at these frames but wonder if anyone has any comparison between the meta 5 and the super4? I would guess that the 4 will solve the rearward seat issue mentioned but wonder how much worse it is at descending? Also, does anyone know what size I should try first as at 5 ft 7 I seem to be between the small and medium sizes.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

jwab – I love my super 4. Cant compare to meta’s sorry. It climbs very well with a 120 fork – not as goat like as some racy frames – but v good. Just dont buy an 09!

Size – I’d say size up. It a tad on the shortish side of average – if that helps you. I was borderline m-l (5-10). Got a L (used a 70mm stem). For the 1st warranty (09 model) I asked for a M. I have to use a 100mm stem to feel comfy. Should have stuck to an L.

juan
    Free Member

2 years on a 2008 meta. Loved before and even more loved now. Never felt so good on a bike (save the meta SX 2012 😉 ), I never rode so fast either. If having fun going down on a bike is what you’re looking for then look no further. The bike have been faultless so far. I really can’t see myself riding something else at the moment. Meta 5 are shorter than super 4 for obvious reason. They climb very well too, provided you just sit and spin and let the magic of the rear end work.

HTH

chico
    Free Member

ive got a 2009 ltd edition used off road most weekends since june 2009. Takes a lot of abuse in all weather/conditions etc. i think iv been lucky though going by the reports on cracks. agree with points above on seat position and cranks are a bit low, back end wanders a bit and weight is abouts 33 1b, i love it but will be getting a lighter steed next year to replace it.

jwab
    Free Member

Cheers coulda, was leaning towards the super due to more xc nature. I’m gonna sell my 16″ blue pig as it rarely sees huge descents so is a bit wasted so now just trying to match the sizing.

Was thinking about a shorter frame simply to make it easier to get my weight back and raise the front end (tho current issues prob more due to lack of skill) but I think it will make the bike too cramped on long rides.

Cheers again!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Just an update on my slightly whingey:

Replacement last time took 13 weeks. Hoping for better this time.

This time took 4 days. That’s more like it.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Thoughts? Fragile

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Crotchrocket – I guess you’re being sarky like 😉

Just to be clear = my comments weren’t about the 55 – more about the Commencal warranty situation (change of distributer and that) which 6 months ago was terrible. It seems a massive amount better now. Mine was/is/will be again a Super 4.

saracendan

I bought a large 2009 green meta frameset which had what appeared to be the usual crack above the weld on the seat tube. I had the frame blasted and a pro frame builder check it before having it powder coated. What appeared to be a crack turned out to be shrinkage/flexing of the poor paint finish and not cracking as first thought! Great bike which has been tarnished by cracking horror stories on what is probably not a huge percentage of numbers sold. I love mine and it’s still crack free.

hora
    Free Member

How do you tell the difference between a 09 and a 2010?

oxnop
    Free Member

If anybody fancies a full carbon Meta 5 frame then look here…..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/commencal-meta-5-carbon-frame-2011-small

I need it gone ASAP as its taking up space! Offers invited.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I have a Meta 5 VIP from 2008. It has an RP23 at the back and a 140mm revelation at the front. It’s a medium and I’m 6′ 3″.

I absolutely love it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s my first full suss, but I wouldn’t change it for the world at the moment. It climbs amazingly, and descends even better. Like the others have said, the linkage is fantastic. Travel feels bottomless, I’ve never felt mine bottom out, but the o-ring on the shock clearly shows that I have done on many an occasion.

I have to agree with the others though, the only let down is that th swingarm does flex a bit, I intend to get a 12mm axle through the back of mine at some point to reduce this.

fazanders
    Free Member

Nice bikes… just broke my carbon 2010 though 🙁 Warranty frame in Team blue, Medium is now in the for sale section, brand new in the box £450 😛
    Going to give the AM a try now

weeksy

hora – Member
    How do you tell the difference between a 09 and a 2010?

The 09 broke first ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

ragged the hell out of my 07, everytime I thought I had outgrown it it proved me wrong, it munched up techy alps trails and was always fun to ride, only got rid of because I was left some money and new AMs were on sail… upgrade was vanity and love for shiny things rather than necessity.

zerocool

GF had a 09 and loves it. I abused it for a few runs in the Alpes and it didn’t die

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Colour/graphics changed on the 2010 onwards bikes.

The older Meta’s really do ride well, surprisingly well when I had a go on a couple, that’s what tempted me to try an AM which is awesome. In terms of angles/numbers it’s pretty much my ideal bike. Really enjoying it 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Going to give the AM a try now

Which climb even better than the meta 5.5 but careful it needs more skills to go downhill

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Thoughts please on Commencal Meta 5.5’ is closed to new replies.