• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Those single sided SPDs with a flat platform on the other side….
  • razorrazoo

…are they any good?

New CX came with toeclips (a blast from the past) which are not the long term solution. Bike has dual use, mainly for local training, but also will get used for family bike rides etc. The upshot is I don’t want to have to stick on a specific pair of shoes or swap over pedals every time I use it.

So, the options are;

1. Get a pair of flats (use flats on my mtb) – but worried about too much toe/tyre interface due to my flats foot positioning.

2. Get some sort of clipless solution which gives a platform to ride in flats too. The usual SPD trail pedals are no good, as though they have the platform, the SPD bit protrudes both sides so will not be comfortable.

Any opinions or other smart ideas? (I do have an old pair of CB Acid pedals – like eggbeaters but with a small platform, a bit like shimano trail pedals – I can use in the meantime)

Ta

scruff
    Free Member

I have some on my commuter, the spds are just normal, cage side is metal frame, not loads of grip but fine for family rides.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I used the Shimano combis for a few months, but could not get on with them. They would always land flat side up, so were a nightmare to clip into.

But, depends how much you clip out/in I suppose…

stevious

Not an expert on what’s available these days but I would say it’s worth checking how good the grip is on the flat side of the pedal before you commit to buying. I had some Shimano ones a while back that were the slippiest pedals I’ve ever used on the flat side. Worse than the cheapo plastic things that the bike came with.

djtom
    Free Member

They’re fine for what you want. I’ve got a set on my commuter / cx / pub bike. They’re pretty heavy, and the flat side isn’t very grippy, but it’s a much better solution than changing pedals every time you want to ride to the pub in trainers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I use my commuter for training, they work perfectly IMO.

mudsoul
    Free Member

You can use pedal adaptors like those. I think they’re expensive for what they are, but it’s a better solution that those single-sided SPDs.

Someone was selling a pair of Fly pedals adaptors in the classifieds last week. Similar to the one linked above and about the same price.

Sundayjumper

Shimano do more than one version. Are you thinking of the ones with a steel cage ? There’s also the slightly more expensive A530:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-a530-clipless-road-pedals/rp-prod28050

smashit
    Free Member

In my experience on rental touring bikes, the newer Shimano A530 are pretty crap, the flat pedal side has no grip at all! However the more old-school Shimano M324 are not too bad and would be all good for family pootling!

amedias
    Free Member

They’re fine for what you want. I’ve got a set on my commuter / cx / pub bike. They’re pretty heavy, and the flat side isn’t very grippy, but it’s a much better solution than changing pedals every time you want to ride to the pub in trainers.

I was going to type this ^ almost word for word

portlyone

I think I have the A530s linked above, you have to be a bit careful if you have wet soles on the flatside. Never had a problem clipping in, the flatside can be a little tricky to find.

I’m toying with the idea of putting a bit of sugru on the flatside but it’s not really that much of an issue.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’ve the XT trail/touring things – perfect for me, reflectors (so I’m legal) with the flat generally uppermost when left to its own devices. Going to the pub in trainers (and back again) is fine, my drunken foot has never fallen off – also work grand when I’ve been towing the kids in the trailer. Commuting the 50k back and to work in my spds is fine too. The XT’s are a lot lighter than the pd m324? (about 200g lighter)I used to have on the bike which don’t have a reflector but I think you can buy the kit easy enough now.

I’ve a virtually non-stop commute so don’t clip in or out very often but it’s nothing that I give anymore than a seconds thought to.

least faff and do the job well I think.

benp1

I have the Shimano A530s on my cross bike and the M324s on my singlespeed

They’re both good, I like them and don’t plan to change them

The M324s are cheaper, the flat feels a bit gripper but they don’t look pretty. I’m also able to bolt a pedal reflector to it, which makes the pedals rest vertically so I can auto-pilot into the side I need.

The A530s are prettier (mine are black so match the rest of the bike), and seem to hold the cleats better, but I don’t always get the right side. Lift feet off for half a revolution and you’re done

Both aren’t a patch on a proper flat pedal, but I’m usually doing something local like supermarket or running an errand so I don’t need the extra grip

theflatboy
    Free Member

djtom +2

cynical +1

amedias +1

benp1

I like the ability to pop out in whatever shoes I’m wearing and not have to wear bike shoes

Most of my local errand trips are between 2 and 12 minutes so less faff is good!

griffiths1000
    Free Member

Mallets?

razorrazoo

Great feedback, thanks.

I’d only seen the M324s but found the A530s now to. The 530s a a couple of pounds cheaper than the 324s on Wiggle and a little lighter in weight. Given I won’t be doing much technical work when using the flat side grip is not a massive issue.

Those fly adaptors look much more flat friendly, however I’m at twice the price of the SPDs for just the platform and a new set of cleats to mount it. Money that could be put towards some new SPD shoes. 😀

Mallets – going to have the same issue with the clip mechanism protruding both sides of the pedal so not practical for use as a flat.

antigee

^^as above
    en plus pointes ?

djtom – Member

or when i forgot to pack some for a bike a friend was loaning me i picked up these – shimano spd and fantastic value – enough grip to keep you out of the ditch on the way home

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-dual-function-leisure-bike-pedals-id_8173126.html

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I got these with my last purchase of shimano pedals.

I took them off for a bit but then started doing a few pub runs so i leave them on now as they weigh next to nothing and on a road ride you only clip in once or twice its no stress.

antigee

nwmlarge – Member
    I got these with my last purchase…”

forgotten about those – if sober a bit narrow for comfort for me and I’ve got small feet 🙁

razorrazoo

Ah, I was looking at the wrong M530s, the A530s are a bit more than the M324s. The XT ones look good too.

TiRed

you can sharpen the points on the M324’s with a fine for more grip on the flat side. I started offroad with these pedals to gain confidence before switching to double sided XTs. They now adorn Teen2’s road and mtb.

Never trashed a bearing either, despite some serious abuse.

boblo
    Free Member

I got a pair of these recently for the commuter:

PD-T420’s

benp1
    irelanst
    Free Member

It depends how extreme a family pootle is, I use my commuter or mountain bike regularly with normal SPDs and trainers and can’t remember having any slippage related incidents.

AlasdairMc

I have a pair of Pearl Izumi X Alp Seeks – they’re like running shoes with cleats, but as they’re black and grey relatively smart, sort of. I wear them for pub trips etc where biking is also involved.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve used those black plastic reflector adaptor things before. They’re about as grippy as plastic flat pedals but that’s fine for nipping to the shops.

They’re not as easy to clip / unclip as you might imagine though, so it’s not especially easy to just clip them on and off on a whim.

antigee

“AlasdairMc – Member
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi X Alp Seeks”

useful looking recommendation forget what Shimano’s I have – are fairly recessed but you can still hear the cleats on the tiled floors when shopping and caution is required on travellators

oxym0r0n

It depends how extreme a family pootle is, I use my commuter or mountain bike regularly with normal SPDs and trainers and can’t remember having any slippage related incidents.

+1, Inc flipflops 😀

boblo
    Free Member

They’re not as easy to clip / unclip as you might imagine though, so it’s not especially easy to just clip them on and off on a whim.

I always wondered if there was a trick I was missing as they are a bit of a pig to get on and off.

They’re really not a long term solution which is why I bought the single sided commutery things from ze Garmans. For £25, it’s better than slipping off the plastic efforts and crushing my nuts… :-/

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Those single sided SPDs with a flat platform on the other side….’ is closed to new replies.