Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • those big le creuset stoneware casserole dishes
  • xherbivorex
    Free Member

does anyone know if they stand up to being used on an electric hob or are they oven use only? would it make more sense to get a cast iron casserole if i need to use it on both hob and also in the oven?
    the only reason i ask is that tk maxx near to me has the stoneware ones for a pretty good price at the moment…

julianwilson
    Free Member

never had a stoneware casserole but i did crack my big stoneware lasagne dish after repeated sessions under the grill. 😥

The cast iron casserole dishes are indestructible in oven onr on hob though.

Funny how i have a kitchen full of cheap tat and potato peelers from wilkos, but a load of posh saucepans. Perhaps its just cos they are so easy to clean!

geoffj
    TN
    Free Member

I am not sure I’d use a stoneware pot on the hob but we have a le creuset 20cm cast iron casserole pan and use it for all sorts of stuff – cooking chillis on the hob, risotto that starts on the top but goes in the oven. It’s probably the most used pan we have. And like Julian says, they clean SO easily! (even when I weld chilli to the bottom….)

parisroubaix

the stone ones must not be exposed to direct heat, be it electic or gas hobs, they will crack as soon as it gets hot.
    The cast iron ones are for that purpose.
    Amazon often sell the iron ones below the RRP- baby blue was discontinued last year as a colour and these can be found cheap on amazon etc, hence we bought that range!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yep, cast iron it is then!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

stupid question, but is there any reason why an oval shaped one wouldn’t be as good as a round one? 20 quid price difference for equivalent sizes on amazon but i can’t see why you’d want to pay more just to have the round one…

julianwilson
    Free Member

mine happens to be round. I suppose you don’t get such even heat on a ‘normal’ hob in an oval one. But I would buy whatever shape was the right size and price.

parisroubaix

Oval are far better in my opinion, muck easier to fit joints on the bone in, and to get other items on the same shelf in the oven.
    Some of the round ones are absolutely huge. The oval is a much more practical shape all round.

juan
    Free Member

hbx the shape is usually to accomodate meat inside… Not that you would be too bothered.
    Why do you want a creuset if you dont use meat?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

they’re not exclusively for cooking meat juan, and i still eat food you know… just because i don’t eat meat doesn’t mean i don’t make soups, stews, casseroles etc…

juan
    Free Member

well for stew soup and casserole you can probably find something better?
    Creuset like where initially made to be able to do slow cooking of meat buy having the pot on the side of the ‘poele’.
    If you are into soup buy a cocote minute…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

well i used to have a chasseur cast iron casserole which was perfect for doing this mushroom and barley stew that i make, but i no longer have the chasseur one so i could do with a replacement. and i already have le creuset saucepans so i’m being a snob and trying to get a match!

it’ll do what i want it to do, so don’t worry about it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘those big le creuset stoneware casserole dishes’ is closed to new replies.