Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • This "we're all in this together " did i miss something ?
  • oldfart

When George Osborne repeated this 7 times i believe yesterday it left me wondering one thing.What exactly are him and his fellow trough snufflers (sorry i meant MPs) 😯 going to be sacrificing ?Did anybody catch it at all ?

cranberry
    Free Member

ministers in the next government will have a 5% pay cut.

Stoner
    Free Member

Whilst I agree with the economic diagnosis and to some extent the conservative prescription he's been given to trot out by people far brighter than him, I would really prefer to hear it come from someone who I didnt think was a bit of a t1t.

Unfortunately callmeDave has nailed his colours to this particularly dimwitted mast and I cant see him getting away with dumping Gideon before the General Election without getting anally violated by the left-wing press. More's the pity.

roper
    Free Member

They will be sacrificing some of us.

"..Their's not to make reply,
    Their's not to reason why,
    Their's but to do and die:
    Into the valley of Death…"

iDave
    Free Member

his proposals would seem to ensure that they observe us all being in it together for a few years longer

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, 5% cut in ministerial pay next year and then freeze it for the rest of the Parliament.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I need to see a few lot more dead bankers before I believe we're all in this together.

chakaping
    Free Member

It's a lyric from High School Musical.

His favourite film probably.

ourmaninthenorth

we're all in this together

More like: "You're all in this together, while me and Dave C (worth £30m, natch) continue to look down on you peasants and squeeze the middle classes until their pips squeek."

samuri
    Free Member

It seems to me there's an awful lot of people out of work at the moment. Until ministers emulate this situation I fail to see how they're in the same boat as the rest of us.

grumm
    Free Member

'heir to the Osborne baronetcy of Ballentaylor, County Tipperary, Ireland.' – yeah we're all in this together aren't we.

surfer
    Free Member

I heard Ken Clarks speech, he refered to Osborne on several occasions however I cant help thinking he was "damming him with faint praise"!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ministers in the next government will have a 5% pay cut.

I'm assuming you mean if the Tories win.

Well if the Tories win David Cameron will get a 33% increase in his salary, even with, the 5% cut in the PM's salary. He will also scrap the 50p top rate tax.

So basically………… "vote for me, and I will have a massive wage increase, and I will cut my own tax"

How self-sacrificing of him. It will make me feel so much better when I haven't got a job.

Coyote
    Free Member

Dave and Georgie Boy are totally clueless when it comes to the lives of (how I hate to use the phrase) "ordinary people". The only brush with reality Dave has had was the tragically brief life of his son. But this, however sad, does not give him any insight into the economic realities faced by millions. George has no idea.

As for High School Musical being Mr. Osbourne's favourite film? I fear the plot may be a little complex for him.

takisawa2

callmeDave has nailed his colours to this particularly dimwitted mast

LMFAO.
    Brilliant. 😀

Del

where you're going in wrong is in the 'listening to what politicians say' department. HTH.

allthepies
    Free Member

>Dave and Georgie Boy are totally clueless when it comes to the lives of (how I hate to use the phrase) "ordinary people".

You think Gordon's down wit da streetz ? 😆

rkk01
    Free Member

oldfart just doesn't get it, obviously….

"We're all in this together" – and it's true enough.

Bit like the Titanic – we're all doomed, "we're all in this together", but the crew will be checking the first class tickets on the lifeboat

Coyote
    Free Member

"It seems to me there's an awful lot of people out of work at the moment"

But that can't all be laid at the government's door. Surely some of it must be down to twathanded-fuckwittery in the finance dept of individual companies?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You think Gordon's down wit da streetz ?

Are you suggesting that Gordon Brown had the same privileged upbringing as David Cameron ?

What do you base that on ?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Deffo! Did you not think him ringing the mental singing woman and going on breakfast TV to mention it showed his humanity and understanding of the little people ?

grumm
    Free Member

Born in Govan, went to a comprehensive school – you know, like normal people.

Cameron – 'At the age of seven, Cameron attended the independent Heatherdown Preparatory School at Winkfield in Berkshire, which counted Prince Andrew and Prince Edward among its alumni.'

But we're all in this together.

mike_p
    Free Member

Everyone's pretty much agreed that there should be no rewards for failure, right? So why oh why would anyone vote to re-elect Labour? (read Robert Peston's book "Who runs Britain?" if you want a convincing explanation of why you shouldn't)

Let the other lot have a go, they certainly can't be any worse and you never know, they may actually be an improvement.

surfer
    Free Member

Everyone's pretty much agreed that there should be no rewards for failure, right? So why oh why would anyone vote to re-elect Labour? (read Robert Peston's book "Who runs Britain?" if you want a convincing explanation of why you shouldn't)

10 years of uninterupted growth, yes huge failure!

BoardinBob

Born in Govan, went to a comprehensive school – you know, like normal people.

Yes, his childhood was clearly horrible

Gordon Brown was born in Govan, Glasgow, Scotland.[15] His father was John Ebenezer Brown (1914–1998), a minister of the Church of Scotland and a strong influence on Gordon.[16] His mother Jessie Elizabeth Souter, known as Bunty, died in 2004 aged 86.[17] She was the daughter of John Souter, a timber merchant.[18] Gordon was brought up with his brothers John and Andrew Brown in a manse in Kirkcaldy — the largest town in Fife, Scotland across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh.[19] In common with many other notable Scots, he is therefore often referred to as a "son of the manse". Brown was educated first at Kirkcaldy West Primary School where he was selected for an experimental fast stream education programme, which took him two years early to Kirkcaldy High School for an academic hothouse education taught in separate classes.[20] At age 16 he wrote that he loathed and resented this "ludicrous" experiment on young lives.[21]

Farmer_John
    Free Member

It's funny how everyone seems so hung up on what schools people went to.

I didn't get much of a choice about where to go to school – I didn't get into the "good" comprehensive and the bad one was very very bad (and subsequently led to all of my primary school mates failing to pass their exams) so my mum went back to work and I went to a Grammar instead.

I suppose in the eyes of a lot of STW readers that makes me a toff too – but as I didn't really have a say in the matter I can't help but wonder what makes people judge others on the basis of the decisions that those people's parents took when they were still too young to decide for themselves.

How many people on here wouldn't give their kids the best possible education given a choice?

Stoner
    Free Member

went to a comprehensive school – you know, like normal people.

I rather take offence at being described as abnormal because I didn't go to a comprehensive.

So your school defines your place in society does it?

EDIT Farmerjohn beat me to it.

grumm
    Free Member

I'm suggesting that the Tories are still generally the party of privilege, and they don't really know or care about the issues that affect ordinary people. What schools they went to reflects that.

mike_p
    Free Member

Surfer wrote:

10 years of uninterupted growth, yes huge failure!

That comment serves simply to highlight your ignorance. Ever heard of boom and bust, the thing wot dear Gordon abolished?

IanMunro
    Free Member

So your school defines your place in society does it?
    Often yes. But it's not really a question that warrants a yes/no response.

mustard
    Free Member

Have you actually seen Kirkcaldy High?! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

A good essay on PMs and Public Schools

But whatever he did to British party politics, Blair has apparently revolutionised the attitudes towards public school. While Blair was at Number 10, the growls of John Prescott about posh Tories sounded rather silly. Even now that he has gone, he has left a party where a significant number of senior members have had a similar background. Such luminaries as Ed Balls, Ruth Kelly, Harriet Harman, Charles Clarke and even Jack Straw all attended independent, fee-paying schools

[/url]

surfer
    Free Member

That comment serves simply to highlight your ignorance

My masters in Economics is clearly no match for your insight!

surfer
    Free Member

However from my position of ignorance I know a largely external economic influence when I see one unlike the largely self inflicted downturns the previous tory governments have inflicted upon us.

Give me Keynes over Friedman any day!

Stoner
    Free Member

My masters in Economics

If it came from a Poly it doesnt count surfer! 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

As President Richard Nixon observed in 1971, “We are all Keynesians now.”

Nice role model Surfer 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Damm you Stoner!!

surfer
    Free Member

Nice role model Surfer

Baby, bath water Stoner?

Stoner
    Free Member

"Baby, bath watergate Stoner?"

fixed it for you.
    😉

grumm
    Free Member

Jack Straw

He was born in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, England of part-Jewish background and brought up at Loughton, Essex by his mother, Joan Sylvia Gilbey[1][2] on a council estate after his father Walter Arthur Whitaker Straw,[1] an insurance salesman and the son of Arthur Whitaker Straw, left the family and condemned them to poverty. He was educated at Staples Road School, Loughton, and then boarded at Brentwood School, at that time a direct grant grammar school with largely LEA supported pupils

We could play this game all day. I'm not suggesting that anyone who went to a fee-paying school is automatically a toff and a snob, but the level of privilege on the Tory front bench is fairly ridiculous. Strangely enough William Hague and Ken Clark are probably the Tories I have the most respect for – just discovered William Hague went to a comprehensive and Ken Clarke went to the same school as Jack Straw. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘This "we're all in this together " did i miss something ?’ is closed to new replies.