Home Forums Chat Forum This Stone Henge Outrage

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 203 total)
  • This Stone Henge Outrage
    convert

I think the actions of jso actually make it harder for serious people to effect change.  All they do is give the deniers another brush to tarnish them with on the old guilty by association. How can those who want to make serious change and policy do so without been seen to have given into these idiots actions

This is where I’m at. Deniers fall into two categories – probably more if I put my mind to it – once you get past the bat shit mentalists. You’ve got those that deny because even though they know the truth it’s financially better to put you head in the sand. You think either your business model for making money or your way of life is too impacted by the perceived changes needed it’s just easier to think they don’t exist. Second group are just the ignorant and uneducated. The sort of people who form their understanding of the world by reading the Daily Mail, social media memes and nothing more.  The first group rub their hands with glee with the antics of GSO because it make the argument of the environmental lobby seem even more alien to the second group. To the slowest thinking of the general population, the people who we actually need onside, the inconvenient truth gets buried even deeper behind a layer of moral outrage.

kerley
    Free Member

Erm……..

Labour have committed to exactly that.  No new licenses (and a 78% windfall tax on existing operations and ending investment allowances that reduce tax burdens), And GB-Energy in whatever watered down form it ends up taking.

And that was because of JSO shit?  No, didn’t think so.  So what is the point of them again if Labour are already committing to what they want, surely they should just be out campaigning for Labour.

joshvegas
    Free Member

They’re a bit shit anyway aren’t they?

Ah, you’re thinking of JLS there

I see why you got to where you got. But actually i was talking about stone henge.

I drove passed once, they look a bit shit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And that was because of JSO shit?  No, didn’t think so.

Maybe, maybe not. But I doubt many people even knew how O&G licenses worked and that stopping the issuing of new ones was even an option until JSO started shouting about it from motorway gantries.  And now it’s in the likely winning party’s manifesto.

So no Starmer isn’t capitulating to Eco-Terrorists*. But those Eco-Terrorists have brought the issue and proposed solution to the attention of enough people that it’s a vote winner.

*Great, now I’ve got that Rise Against song in my head for the rest of the afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JuUOAsNWc

http://www.youtube.com/h4JuUOAsNWc

chrismac

The guy who stopped traffic on the bridge was held in custody for 14 months then jailed for 3 years, hardly seems proportional does it?

Seems entirely appropriate to me. I wonder how much excess emissions this silly stunt generated, not to mention the thousands inconvenienced who presumably are their target audience.

I have never understood why anyone things direct action has any influence on those who make policy. Most are looking for an excuse to kick the can down the road to be someone else’s problem to solve. This just makes that course of action easier to follow

DrJ

What have macbooks, starbucks and netflix got to do with this?

They are more things that environmental protesters are not allowed to have. It’s the Law. Apparently.

DrJ

I have never understood why anyone things direct action has any influence on those who make policy.

I recommend an elementary history book.

nickc

what were you expecting? Dancing girls? A light show?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I have never understood why anyone things direct action has any influence on those who make policy. Most are looking for an excuse to kick the can down the road to be someone else’s problem to solve. This just makes that course of action easier to follow.

I feel like I’m repeating myself.

BUT 2/3 of JSOs DEMANDS HAVE MADE IT INTO THE MANIFESTO OF A PARTY HEADING FOR AN ABSOLUTELY HUGE MAJORITY.

Seems like an effective outcome for a few years protesting.

funkmasterp

I have never understood why anyone things direct action has any influence on those who make policy.

err…..I don’t even know where to start with this one tbh. Have you never read any history at all. Even the last hundred years or so has some pretty big examples.

I’m also with @joshvegas Stonehenge is just shit. A big pile of rocks. Whoop de **** do! JSO and those that are upset by agent Orange (cornstarch) are just a bit crap too. The former should’ve knocked the entire thing over so that the latter could all explode with rage. Thus killing a large number of climate deniers/those stuck in the past and helping to move us forward a bit.

convert

Just going to lob this in…..

As a kid, then a teen and a young adult I heard of the horrors of the IRA bombings and put them firmly on the ‘baddies’ side of the equation. Their cause was by default assigned the same fate in young Convert’s eyes too.

Fast forward 30 odd years, I’ve learnt a bit more (and admittedly got a bit older) and from this UK mainland resident’s perspective I can now see their cause. I’d probably say I am pro a united Ireland.

I’m pretty sure I’d have got there a lot sooner if the IRA hadn’t been murdering quite some many people. Now, you could say – my opinion didn’t matter. But I reckon it did. Millions and millions of us were by default anti a united Ireland because of the IRA. If a voting public in the rest of the UK had been won over by words instead of blinded from reason by bombs it might have changed history.

DrJ

I’m pretty sure I’d have got there a lot sooner if the IRA hadn’t been murdering quite some many people. Now, you could say – my opinion didn’t matter. But I reckon it did. Millions and millions of us were by default anti a united Ireland because of the IRA. If a voting public in the rest of the UK had been won over by words instead of blinded from reason by bombs it might have changed history.

I think you’ve got that a bit backwards. Without the IRA the issue would never have been on the agenda.

imnotverygood

I just love a bit of counterfactual history

dartdude
    Free Member

I’m awaiting them to deface houses of parliament with wet wipes to have the wet wipes also hit them in the face .

SUCKERS!

argee

Before it goes even more sideways, JSO are not eco terrorists or fighting in a way like the IRA, they are not a terrorist organisation, and the one sensible thing they do is avoid anything that can be seen as an act of terrorism, that is a line they do not want to even come close too in this day and age!

Northwind

All I can say is, considering how angry some people manage to get about Just Stop Oil, it’s going to be amazing to see their proportional reactions to climate change. “OMG they delayed my commute by 10 minutes, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE” my dude entire cities are going to be in the sea, that will make it somewhat harder to get to work. Immensely more damage has been done to monuments and artworks by pollution than could ever be done by protesters and the angriest most people ever seem to get about that is tutting that councils don’t clean things enough.

They should protest in a way that’s invisible and legal and uncontroversial so that it can be completely ignored, only multibillion dollar companies are allowed to destroy everything.

convert

they are not a terrorist organisation,

Well obviously. My point is they alienate the unthinking majority who think negatively about cause based on their opinion of the protest method.  Clearly there’s levels and lobbing powder paint on rocks is not the same as killing people.

CountZero

Yeah, right. Get a really good, close-up view, did you, in order to draw that conclusion? With the stones about 100m or so away from the road, and even with the traffic crawling along at its usual snails pace, unless you’re an even bigger idiot than you seem, you’ll have got about a glance of about a second, any longer and you’ll be stuffed in the back of the car in front.
    Which is one of the issues that years and millions of pounds have been spent trying to stop, by tunnelling the road. Is everyone happy?

Nope, it’s too short, might destroy hypothetical archaeology that nobody knows about, unless they dig for it. Or the A303 shouldn’t be buried because drivers are absolutely entitled to crawl along at a snail’s pace risking an accident and snarling up the traffic for thousands every day. Or a bunch of other NIMBY whiney excuses.
    In that sense, JsO might have a point – the perpetual traffic jam on the 303 absolutely needs to be stopped; I’ve wasted enough time stuck in it, but the reality is that the use of oil will never be stopped, it has far too many uses in such a vast range of essential commodities that it’ll never be stopped completely. As a fuel for cars, yes, eventually, and that’s no bad thing.

Oh, and it’s past, not passed; close, but no banana 🍌.

You’re better off going to Avebury, you can actually walk up to the stones and touch them, and there’s a pub in the centre of the circle. I haven’t been to Stonehenge since I was at junior school, when you could touch the stones, and it was a special, magical place.

funkmasterp

Neither special or magical. Just some rocks. There are stone circles all over. Like a Neolithic J D Wetherspoons!

fenderextender
    Free Member

When the aliens pick over the ashes of the Earth’s surface in a few centuries time, I wonder what they’ll make of a species, with legs, that wouldn’t give up driving SUVs 400 yards to drop their offspring (also with legs) off at school. Presumably just a shrug?

argee

When the aliens pick over the ashes of the Earth’s surface in a few centuries time, I wonder what they’ll make of a species, with legs, that wouldn’t give up driving SUVs 400 yards to drop their offspring (also with legs) off at school. Presumably just a shrug?

In a few hundred years we’ll have a high chance of still being around, colonising nearby planets and so on, the destruction of humanity is quite a slim chance in the long run.

fenderextender
    Free Member

the destruction of humanity is quite a slim chance in the long run

Ever seen the population growth curve of E.Coli in a petri dish?

I see no reason, given human nature, that the human population will not follow that to within +/- 1% deviation.

argee

The world population is predicted to slow and stop increasing by the end of the century, and that’s not including any major event, the only area that looks to be increasing will be Africa, which will be one of the areas most affected by climate change in that timescale, so may cause that prediction to fall away as well.

joshvegas
    Free Member

unless you’re an even bigger idiot than you seem, you’ll have got about a glance of about a second

Ahahahahahahahaha. I knew this thread would deliver.

I saw alot more than a second of the sodding things on that road thank you very much. But whatever gives you a chubby countzero…

Neither special or magical. Just some rocks. There are stone circles all over. Like a Neolithic J D Wetherspoons!

Pretty much this. I’ll take Brodgar and Stenness for the atmosphere and a fraction of the honeypot morons thanks.

kerley
    Free Member

So no Starmer isn’t capitulating to Eco-Terrorists*. But those Eco-Terrorists have brought the issue and proposed solution to the attention of enough people that it’s a vote winner.

Nope, still don’t agree but can’t prove it either way so we will just have to believe what we believe.

theotherjonv

Ever seen the population growth curve of E.Coli in a petri dish?

Yep. It’ll grow right up to the confines of the container, or until the food source is exhausted. We are marginally more intelligent (at times) and can see the limits of both and take action beforehand to slow or reverse.

How do we weigh the disruption of some water soluble food grade dye being thrown on the glass in front of a painting, or on some stones, vs the disruption of a march that takes over a city centre. The material impact is chalk and cheese, yet one is considered noble and the other a disgrace. One has politicians on it, the other has politicians clamouring to condemn it.

brant
    Free Member

>In a few hundred years we’ll have a high
    >chance of still being around, colonising >nearby planets and so on, the destruction
    >of humanity is quite a slim chance in the
    >long run.

I wonder when even stupid people will realise that colonising other planets is quite a lot harder than sorting out the problems here on the planet we’ve been on for a few years.

convert

I think you’ve got that a bit backwards. Without the IRA the issue would never have been on the agenda.

And yet Scotland managed to get to the point of a referendum on independence despite no equivalent of the IRA and similar levels of support for change…..

joshvegas
    Free Member

And yet Scotland managed to get to the point of a referendum on independence despite the an equivalent of the IRA…..

Oooft come on man thats a stretchy comparison…

convert

maybe…..but to say that the concept of a united Ireland would not have been on the agenda without violence is farcical imo.

gobuchul
    Free Member

And yet Scotland managed to get to the point of a referendum on independence despite the an equivalent of the IRA…..

Not even close.

You do know that in the 1960’s Irish Catholics didn’t have full voting rights in NI.

There was basically segregation that ensured the Protestants got the better housing and the better jobs.

theotherjonv

I wonder when even stupid people will realise that colonising other planets is quite a lot harder than sorting out the problems here on the planet we’ve been on for a few years.

The planet doesn’t have problems, it’s going nowhere (or rather it is, but it’ll be back in 365 days time).

It won’t be in the form that we currently have and may not support life of the form we have or life at all. Who knows what comes after us, might be brilliant, who are we to stand in the way of progress ;-)

convert

Not even close.

You do know that in the 1960’s Irish Catholics didn’t have full voting rights in NI.

There was basically segregation that ensured the Protestants got the better housing and the better jobs.

Well , yes I did.

My tangential point to this thread was that winning over the great unwashed in Englandshire (because that’s where the bulk of the UK population is so generates the most mps etc) to your cause is best served by not alienating them before they have a chance to listen to your causes’ merits. It’s fickle and not very passionate, so the people deep in mire or totally wrapped up in the cause don’t see it, but getting the turgid bulk of the population over the line and thinking the way you do is served well by making them think but not but pissing them off or upsetting them.

DrJ

to say that the concept of a united Ireland would not have been on the agenda without violence is farcical imo.

Hard to know where to begin …  Oliver Cromwell maybe ?

argee

I was on about how we will advance as a species, not that we will be running away from Earth, in a few hundred years we’ll be on Mars, we will have created technology far beyond where we are now, that is the belief of scientists, rather than we will be wiped out because of climate change or another disaster, which is a much smaller chance.

DrJ

It won’t be in the form that we currently have and may not support life of the form we have or life at all. Who knows what comes after us, might be brilliant, who are we to stand in the way of progress 😉

Wasn’t this the basic plot of Hitchiker’s Guide To The Galaxy ?

DrJ

I was on about how we will advance as a species

I don’t much care about if we advance as a species or not. I care about if we survive as individuals, families, social groups. I care about myself, my family, my friends having enough to eat.

funkmasterp

that is the belief of scientists, rather than we will be wiped out because of climate change or another disaster, which is a much smaller chance.

How odd. Most scientists I talk to or who’s work I read think we’re royally **** as a species unless we sort our shit out relatively quickly.

argee

How odd. Most scientists I talk to or who’s work I read think we’re royally **** as a species unless we sort our shit out relatively quickly.

You need to talk to more optimistic people

funkmasterp

You need to talk to more realistic ones. The problems we face as a species aren’t going anywhere. Sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling I can’t hear you isn’t going to cut it. The Musks and Bezos’s of the world aren’t going to save us with space exploration. They’re a huge part of the problem

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.