Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • This may cause a buffer overflow with the Daily Mail brigade
  • monkeychild
    Free Member

Edit* The link goes to the Indy Fundamentalist Christian faith school

My gob is well and truly smacked!

Drac

I’ll take your word for it I won’t be looking at the Daily Mail website.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What’s so fundamental about that?

scaled
    Free Member

Link is to the indy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mostly just disappointed that you an legally still run a school like that. Quite simply religion in schools should be simply taught like history or geography and something to learn about. It shouldn’t over rule science, evidence and best practice in education to take away a child’s future like that is criminal.

mogrim

Mostly just disappointed that you an legally still run a school like that.

It’s actually even worse than just teaching that Christianity is 100% true etc. The poor kids don’t even get proper qualifications at the end of it, no GCSEs or A levels, just some certificate that they’re good Christians. How that can be legal is beyond my belief.

SaxonRider

Mostly just disappointed that you an legally still run a school like that. Quite simply religion in schools should be simply taught like history or geography and something to learn about. It shouldn’t over rule science, evidence and best practice in education to take away a child’s future like that is criminal.

Speaking as someone with a vested interest in a particular religious tradition, I agree with you 100% mikewsmith.

martinhutch

A 7ft-long boa constrictor as well as a number of tarantulas were kept in the school as pets, without due consideration being made as to whether they are safe to be around children.

Sounds awesome!

scotroutes

A 7ft-long boa constrictor as well as a number of tarantulas were kept in the school as pets, without due consideration being made as to whether they are safe to be around children

I’d say the snake and spiders were at most risk 🙂

martinhutch

Staff meetings are lively there, though.

maccruiskeen

The poor kids don’t even get proper qualifications at the end of it, no GCSEs or A levels, just some certificate

Sounds like Hogwarts

mogrim

Sounds like Hogwarts

They do at least get OWLs and NEWTs which are recognised qualifications.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Here’s a question, do people have a right to willful ignorance? 😆

mogrim

Here’s a question, do people have a right to willful ignorance?

Adults do. But they shouldn’t have a right to pass this on to their kids. At least not during school hours.

SaxonRider

Here’s a question, do people have a right to wilful ignorance?

Not when it genuinely hurts. And besides, the ignorance in this case is being imposed on children and is therefore not wilful.

There is a difference between presenting ideas, including religious ones, as ideas to be explored, and imposing them in a way that permits no alternative and forbids questioning.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Like many others I went to CofE schools where we sang hymns in assembly and did RE lessons. But we left school with a good education…..
    That’s a dodgy cult. Nothing more or less…..
    I’m astonished it can happen TBH.

jambalaya
    Free Member

All schools in France are secular. They have no issues with religious extremism, right ?

National Curriculum standards should apply to all schools.

orangespyderman

All schools in France are secular.

Woah, there. All state schools are secular. There are a helluva a lot of Catholic schools.

EDIT : And, actually, other faith schools too, to be balanced, but nowhere near comparable numbers.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mogrim – Member
    Here’s a question, do people have a right to willful ignorance?
    Adults do. But they shouldn’t have a right to pass this on to their kids. At least not during school hours.

SaxonRider – Member
    Here’s a question, do people have a right to wilful ignorance?
    Not when it genuinely hurts. And besides, the ignorance in this case is being imposed on children and is therefore not wilful.

There is a difference between presenting ideas, including religious ones, as ideas to be explored, and imposing them in a way that permits no alternative and forbids questioning.

Perhaps, ultimately, I think ignorance is passed on from the parents though, so while I don’t think these schools are great(talking about these more fundamentalist type schools, I went to a catholic schools myself). I think it’s really just something for people to direct their rage at. Problem will still remain with the parents.

maccruiskeen

ultimately, I think ignorance is passed on from the parents though

I think its more to do with parents protecting their own ignorance than passing it on. Letting your children out into the big wide world and having them come home with questions risks bursting your bubble.

Its the same reason people try to prevent their children mixing with the poor.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, could see that being part of the issue, fair point.

mogrim

I think it’s really just something for people to direct their rage at. Problem will still remain with the parents.

Yes and no, at the end of the day it’s obviously the parents choosing these schools for their kids, but the fact that these schools exist is something I certainly find offensive (and worrying). Given that these exist for Christian fundamentalists, does that mean that similar schools exist for Jews and Muslims? Schools were the Torah or the Quran are the only thing to be studied?

Like most UK kids I had assembly, prayer and Christmas / Easter celebrations at school, but that didn’t get in the way of getting recognised O and A levels.

Bazz

Fundamentalist anything is a recipe for disaster, be that Christian, Islam, Judaism Hindu etc etc. The sooner the politicians in this country grow some balls and legislate to have religion taught in a balanced way in all schools and outlaw any school having religious links the better for all of society in my opinion.

Religion should be a private matter for families to practice in their own time, if they choose to.

kimbers

Fundamentalist anything is a recipe for disaster, be that Christian, Islam, Judaism Hindu etc etc. The sooner the politicians in this country grow some balls and legislate to have religion taught in a balanced way in all schools and outlaw any school having religious links the better for all of society in my opinion.

True dat,

monkeychild
    Free Member

The sooner the politicians in this country grow some balls and legislate to have religion taught in a balanced way in all schools and outlaw any school having religious links the better for all of society in my opinion.

Religion should be a private matter for families to practice in their own time, if they choose to.

A big +1

Northwind

Absolutely absurd tbh. Those poor kids. Indoctrination at school is bad enough but at the expense of a real education? Disgusting really. Still, in the brave new world of academisation, maybe it won’t seem so strange in a year or so

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Mostly just disappointed that you an legally still run a school like that. Quite simply religion in schools should be simply taught like history or geography and something to learn about. It shouldn’t over rule

Christianophobia!!!!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi folks. Let’s get started shall we?

All state schools are secular.

Not sure about that actually. We had hymns and prayers at a non coe school and so do my kids.

But another question is how can a state sanction what kids can and can’t be taught? Where does it stop? Bit totalitarian isn’t it?

NB I do not support this school nor am I religious. This post is for the academic discussion. Pun not intended.

scaredypants

All state schools are secular.

[quote]Not sure about that actually[/quote]I believe the comment was about French state schools – no idea if it’s correct though

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ yes French, all state schools secular that’s my understanding. The relogious schools are all private / hybrid

Then in that case it should be a private matter if they chose to send their kids to a religious school, which you may argue should be private only.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah yes, on re-reading that seems more likely.

CountZero

Given that these exist for Christian fundamentalists, does that mean that similar schools exist for Jews and Muslims? Schools were the Torah or the Quran are the only thing to be studied?

Of course they do! There’s been lots in the news about private Muslim schools with incredibly strict rules about dress, segregation of women, no music allowed, etc.
    I’m pretty sure it’s the same with Jewish schools.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What about the folk who want that sort of education for THEIR kids

We indoctrinate kids in many areas – no need to pretend that religion is any different.

slowoldman

All schools in France are secular. They have no issues with religious extremism, right ?

What is your point caller?

orangespyderman

I believe the comment was about French state schools – no idea if it’s correct though

Yes, and it’s correct. State run schools are secular. Some (and, in fact, quite a lot of) Catholic schools have a contract with the state to provide schooling and as such receive funding, in exchange for some constraints. Only a minority of private schools in France have no contract with the state and can “do what they want” in terms of education*

*And even then, that’s not entirely true in order to meet the compulsory schooling for all children requirement.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Only a minority of private schools in France have no contract with the state and can “do what they want” in terms of education*

Are they the lucky ones??

orangespyderman

Are they the lucky ones??

No. They tend to be the marginal ones. Secular education is a strong cultural thing in France (that’s getting abused in a way it was never meant to be, but don’t get me started) but a contract with the state also means quite a lot of taxpayer’s money is made available to them, making them financially quite accessible for parents wanting their children to attend.

matt_outandabout

National Curriculum standards should apply to all schools.

Not in two of our four countries, shortly to be three of the four.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘This may cause a buffer overflow with the Daily Mail brigade’ is closed to new replies.