Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • This guy is 40 years old…
  • duckman

And this thread made me look and see if they had ever collected them in a book…yay!

drlex
    Free Member

I remember buying prog2 on a weekend out from school. I now have 2000+ issues.
    Reading that link makes me realise that a college contemporary had a Victor Khayam moment, as he’s now CEO of Rebellion.

Beagleboy

I actually remember standing in the local newsagents and asking my mum if she’d buy me Prog 1. (it had a red space flyer sellotaped to the front).

That was my love of comic books born right there. Do you remember the V.C.’s? I might have cried a wee bit when they were all but wiped out, although in my defence, I think I was only 9 or 10 at the time.

Still have my 1981 Judge Dredd annual, and still pick it up for a read every so often. Gawd, 40 years.

Y’know, I’m kinda thinking of nipping to the shops at lunchtime and maybe buying myself a copy.

C. 🙂

peteimpreza

“The Karl Urban Dredd version was just brilliant. I do hope they make a sequel.”

This

Northwind

What I kind of like is that Stallone’s Dredd just wasn’t really Dredd. But they nailed MC1 and much of the feel of the setting. Whereas Urban’s Dredd is a good Dredd but they didn’t really get the backdrop right.

(also like that when Urban’s asked about a sequel, he says he wants to do Origins. Not “an origin story”- he did his reading :lol:)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The Karl Urban Dredd version was just brilliant. I do hope they make a sequel.

Ditto, big time.

The stallone movie was Ok – a decent enough mish-mash of the best bits – it was just ruined by Stallone being in it.

Apparently afterwards Stallone said something along the lines of ‘we could have done something really special with it.’

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a89628/stallone-regrets-judge-dredd-cobra/

Whereas Urban’s Dredd is a good Dredd but they didn’t really get the backdrop right.

Can’t help thinking that was budget restrictions. 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Stallone was well read on the comic books and whilst not in the prime of his career he was still a big star. But when you have a big studio film with a big budget and a big star you get a lot of studio interference. It became a film made by a comittee like so many others.

They tried to launch a comic book franchise and they played it safe, based on a formula they trusted. And when you do that with a blood soaked fascistic anti-hero, you get what you got.

Just look at how many times they’ve tried and failed to do a decent Wolverine movie despite having lots of money and a well liked actor ho’s fully invested in the character and 30 years of great stories.

mogrim

What I kind of like is that Stallone’s Dredd just wasn’t really Dredd. But they nailed MC1 and much of the feel of the setting. Whereas Urban’s Dredd is a good Dredd but they didn’t really get the backdrop right.

Like Pimpmaster Jazz says the problem was budget – it looked fine once they were inside the block, but outdoors just wasn’t MC1.

There’s still talk of a possible sequel, just hoping they’ll sort that bit out if they ever do. And ideally with the Angel Gang.

jimjam
    Free Member

mogrim

Like Pimpmaster Jazz says the problem was budget – it looked fine once they were inside the block, but outdoors just wasn’t MC1.

The small budget was key to them having the creative control to make it tonally correct for Dredd.

Garry_Lager

Bad Company prob my favourite, just because it was running in the first issue I ever read and I’d never seen anything like it before.

So much to choose from, though – the quality was seriously high looking back (don’t know what it’s like nowadays). Esp impressive as the writers and artists were probably turning content out at a decent rate for a weekly comic, it’s not like they could spend months or years refining a masterpiece.

Northwind

Pimpmaster Jazz – Member

Can’t help thinking that was budget restrictions.

Oh yeah, absolutely, it’s an observation rather than a criticism. And they didn’t want to go down th route of too much cgi, which is pretty understandable- it’s got a lovely, dirty real world thump to it. But it’s a shame they couldn’t at least dress up the cars and things like that

mogrim

So much to choose from, though – the quality was seriously high looking back (don’t know what it’s like nowadays).

Dunno, some of the stories haven’t aged that well. The Judge Child wasn’t great, bits of the Cursed Earth were fairly dull, and that’s ignoring the late 80s… It’s pretty good these days, though.

Beagleboy

I nipped out to the shops at lunchtime and bought the 40th anniversary issue. The Judge Dredd story was good, really dark tale with lovely artwork. A brief flick through the other pages confirms what someone earlier said about the comic being aimed at a more mature reader than I would have thought….unless as a kid, I just didn’t see or get the references!

I can actually see myself getting back into this on a weekly basis.

🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

But it’s a shame they couldn’t at least dress up the cars and things like that

Yeah. The Lawmasters were a bit of a letdown. I get it, but they were still a bit meh.

Andy

I never had a problem with the “Not true MC1” nature of the Karl Urban Dredd film, as I think they nailed totes the characters, plot, and grittyness. The main reason why the film failed was incredibly poor marketing. It actually sold more DVDs than people went to see it – something like 750,000 in the first DVD week.

Lots of talk about a sequel possibly being made straight to Netfix release.

As for the Stallone film

But when you have a big studio film with a big budget and a big star you get a lot of studio interference. It became a film made by a comittee like so many others.

sums it up well 🙁

Oh and well worth “liking” 2000AD on Facebook for lots of background and cool Artwork popping up on your feed to make you smile….lots!

mogrim

I never had a problem with the “Not true MC1” nature of the Karl Urban Dredd film, as I think they nailed totes the characters, plot, and grittyness.

I don’t really have a problem with it, the rest of the film’s great and fully agree with what you say about the characters etc, but it still isn’t MC1.

Oh and well worth “liking” 2000AD on Facebook for lots of background and cool Artwork popping up on your feed to make you smile….lots!

+1000 tots zarjaz

Cougar

I have a confession to make.

I’ve never read 2000AD.

At least, I don’t think I have. When I was younger, the local paper shop occasionally gave me a surplus comic that I’d never normally have read – I’ve a vague memory of something with a war theme, and I’ve still got a Star Wars comic from the 70s somewhere, so it’s entirely possible that 2000AD popped up at some point and I’ve just forgotten.

I always found the serialised stuff to be a bit of a barrier to entry – most of the stories were halfway through so didn’t make a jot of sense, and if you got one at the start you had to keep buying it every week. Bit of a shame, I reckon it’d probably have appealed to me if I’d had the chance to get into it. These days I’d rather get a ‘collected works’ book or something.

I’m familiar with a lot of the characters just by nature of its presence in pop culture though, and I’ve read quite a few Dredd stories by dint of it being syndicated in one of the newspapers (Daily Star I think, my grandparents’ next door neighbour used to give their papers to my gran after they’d read them).

Is that anniversary issue worth picking up, is it self-contained?

mogrim

Is that anniversary issue worth picking up, is it self-contained?

They’ve been running semi-regular progs with have more starting stories than others. 1950 is a good example. That or you could just pick up one of the graphic novels, “The Pit” for example is fairly self-contained.

Edit: not read the anniversay issue, that might be another good starting point!

mogrim

Handily, 2000AD has published a starter guide – and it’s free to download:

http://www.2000adonline.com/downloads/40th_insert.pdf

Beagleboy

The 40th Anniversary issue is a bunch of self contained stories. With a mix of characters old and new. 🙂

I enjoyed it.

C. 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

I have a confession to make.

I’ve never read 2000AD.

I always found the serialised stuff to be a bit of a barrier to entry – most of the stories were halfway through so didn’t make a jot of sense, and if you got one at the start you had to keep buying it every week. Bit of a shame, I reckon it’d probably have appealed to me if I’d had the chance to get into it. These days I’d rather get a ‘collected works’ book or something.

You are probably much better off with collections or graphic novels tbh. I was a huge 2000ad and Judge Dredd fan but the truth is there was always a huge amount of crap and filler in it. Over the years they’ve had some great characters and classic stories but they are relatively few and far between.

We tend to remember the good stuff and forget the bad.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘This guy is 40 years old…’ is closed to new replies.