Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • This digital changeover today.
  • ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

BBC 2 has been de analogued today, and can now only be got on digital. Why does that mean that I can now only get BBC1 and BBC2 from BBC Wales. I don't speak yacky da, and use vowels, so why do I have to put up with the spittle sprayers? I have a clear line of sight to Winter Hill, I can see the mast out of my window.

Anyone else having problems. That Diane Oxberry woman (yes she is!) said there'd be no problems today, well now I'm going to get my weather forecast from Cardiff. WTF?

uplink
    Free Member

Why does that mean that I can now only get BBC1 and BBC2 from BBC Wales

Because your Freeview box has decided that a Welsh transmitter is the strongest & defaulted to that?
    The WinterHill channels may be there but need sorting in the menu

Your aerial is pointed at the wrong transmitter?

Olly
    Free Member

ours has been off since may.

its turd. freezes for 2 seconds ever 2 mins or so if too much power is being draw from the house (kettle and microwave mainly)

you can manually choose the channels i think if you want the welshy ones?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Nope, aerial is pointed straight at Winter Hill, which is nearly 180 degrees from the nearest Welsh one, which is much further away, Denbigh Hills I think.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

[/quote] if you want the welshy ones?

I'm being given the welshy ones and don't want them. Want the English ones that I got yesterday.

uplink
    Free Member

which is nearly 180 degrees from the nearest Welsh one

Crap aerial with poor rear rejection

The 'Welshy ones' are coming straight up the back of the aerial

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

The 'Welshy ones' are coming straight up the back of the aerial

But the house is in the way of the signal. Will the signal bounce round things?

uplink
    Free Member

But the house is in the way of the signal. Will the signal bounce round things?

It'll reflect or go straight through things

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

OK, if the aerial is crap, with poor rear rejection, what is a good aerial? I know nowt about such things.

uplink
    Free Member

Do a manual retune

before anything else – it may well sort it

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Done a manual retune, but no difference. TV did an automatic retune when we switched it on. Still getting welsh telly. Not happy.

Anyone know anything about aerials?

uplink
    Free Member

When you did a manual retune did it find any of the Winter Hill carriers?

There should be something in the setup menu on the TV to stop it auto tuning

wwaswas

"freezes for 2 seconds ever 2 mins or so if too much power is being draw from the house"

Personally, I'd blame the electrical supply/wiring, not a transmitter 40 miles away.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Yup, found them all and is giving a full reading for them, but it still prefers Moel y Parc. (TV is nearly new, bought for this changeover to avoid any problems like this!!)

In a direct line Winter Hill is about 20 miles away, and the Welsh one is some 60 miles.

uplink
    Free Member

There'll be something in the instructions for your TV telling you how to force it to use certain channels

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Well sorted after a fashion. I can tell TV how to use certain channels, but it's a lot of button pushing. I've found "normal" BBC 1 & 2 now. Instead of them being programmes 1 & 2 they are now programmes 800 and 801. It's easier just to use these than set up profiles etc on the TV. BBC 1 is going all digital in a month, so we might have more fun then.

Also, as the signal now appears weaker than the Welsh one after our change over, then logic says that the Welsh one might also loose strength when they change, whenever that may be.

As we can get to watch what we want we'll sit on it ftb. Thanks for your help, esp uplink.

Drac

I've not had analogue TV for about 7 or 8 years now and never had any trouble.

uplink
    Free Member

There could also be an option to sort the channels
    ie allocate BBC1 to programme 1 etc

Don't confuse the term channel with programme though in the menu
    Channel is a double digit no between 21 & 68 & refers to a specific frequency & can't be altered, whereas programme numbers are the actual TV numbers – Lots of people mix that up & it can become confusing

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'll have a look into that^^^

zokes
    Free Member

I don't speak yacky da, and use vowels, so why do I have to put up with the spittle sprayers?

Perhaps your set top box has detected that you are in fact a knob.

Happy to Help…

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

you are in fact a knob

Takes one to know one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘This digital changeover today.’ is closed to new replies.