Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Thinking of getting a small dog, but with one???
  • ridingscared
    Free Member

not yappy! Boston Terrier- the american gentleman

marsdenman
    Free Member

Border Terrier FTW 🙂
    Seriously though – We had planned on a ‘Dogs Trust’ visit but we were made aware of ‘Ted’ who was an only pup (his li’ll sis died at 3 days..) and, at 10 weeks old, had to find a new home…. anyways… Love him to bits!
    [/url]
    Ted260511 by chris1968, on Flickr[/img]

anything terrier related is very yappy !!!!!!

Ted, our border terrier really would disagree… 😉 Yappy is not a word i could apply to any BT we’ve met..

Inbred456
    Free Member

Sorry to put a downer on things but who is there when the kids are at school for the other 38 wks? The only dog I could suggest if this is the case is a rescue Greyhound. Even being left for 38 wks is better than being in a cage for hours every day. Get two to keep each company. Don’t even consider a working type breed.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’ll get one of these 🙁 for saying that Inbred456, Rochey only wants 😀 people.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get a Staffordshire Chav Terrier, big image problem. It would be like going out for a pint with Joey Barton, nobody needs that aggro in their lives! Plus they are that irresponsibly overbred you wouldn’t know what you are getting. As for trusting them with kids, I wouldn’t, ever!

Oxboy
    Free Member

Inbred456 A rescue Greyhound!!!!! mmmm they are small!!! Also most of them arent house trained. 3 of the bloody things attacked my mums cocker spaniel the other day with the intention of killing it, one of them is that nasty it has to wear a muzzle everytime it leaves the house. Bloody massive things!

Working dogs are bred for temprement and intelligence as well as hardiness, you wont go wrong with a gun dog.

donsimon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get a Staffordshire Chav Terrier, big image problem.

Are you calling me a chav?

sc-xc

I had a bad experience with a small dog. I bought a lovely little thing from the pet shop the other day, picked him up around midday.

I got him home, and was introducing him to the family, when he suddenly keeled over and died.

This was about 2 o clock the same day.

I took him back to the pet shop, with TJ’s advice ringing in my ears…but was told there was nothing they could do about it!

Inbred456
    Free Member

I know I’ve been in that situation, wife at home with child and Lab then goes back to work part time then works school time only, dog gets left for too long. Loads of walks in morning and night and at weekends but dog still left for long periods, not ideal sorry. Still feel guilty at times about leaving her. Then we got an ex racing greyhound. Slept all day when we were at work, would take every bit of exercise and more. Great with the kids. Laziest dog at times we’ve ever had so laid back. Being at home on my son’s bed for 8 hrs is a damn sight better than being in a cage or kennel for several hrs waiting for a race. Being kept slightly underweight for maximum performance. They are greedier than any of the labs we’ve had. Think carefully about the Breed.

donsimon
    Free Member

Seriously? That’s terrible.

sc-xc

don simon – Member
    Seriously? That’s terrible.

I know. The pet shop told me I shouldn’t have bought a two-hour.

(a thousand apologies)

Oxboy
    Free Member

No not calling you a chav Don Simon, Staffies are the Chav’s of the dog world. Like I said massive image problem and overbred to the point where hundreds are destroyed every week. That isn’t a glowing recommendation of the breed is it?

donsimon
    Free Member

Baddum……..

Inbred456
    Free Member

Agree gundog’s would be my first choice if someone was at home during the day. Holly our lab was the best dog we’ve ever had but they need to be worked and they need company, being left for 8hrs when your kids are at school is no good really.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oxboy, do you know why so many are abandoned? The Chavs want them not only for the image, but because they want the Pitbull agression to and even though the Staffies can be trained, they don’t have the agressive streak. Chavs get rid of them because they’re too soft. Yes there is an image problem, but it is misplaced. It isn’t helped when a Staffie photo is used to illustrate a Pitbull savaging. I do find the anti-Staffie brigade quite funny as most of it is based on the misinterpetation of poor information. The image problem says more about the chav than the breed.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Don Simon I don’t suppose you helped the staffies image with the pic you posted on page 1 either.
    Glad you agree they have an image problem, just curious though why would you recommend a dog with an image problem?
    The breed needs to get back to good responsible breeding.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don Simon I don’t suppose you helped the staffies image with the pic you posted on page 1 either.
    Glad you agree they have an image problem though, just curious though why would you recommend a dog with an image problem?

I think she was sneezing in the photograph or trying to spit something out.
    The image is just that, an image and not representative of the reality.

Oxboy
    Free Member

That answer Don Simon was rubbish! 😆 😆

donsimon
    Free Member

Which bit? I challenge you to get to know a Staffie (not a Chav owned) and tell me the image is correct. 😉
    Dangerous os ****, this one.

stwIMG_4065 por kala y simon, en Flickr

Oxboy
    Free Member

It was sneezing or spitting something out 😆 Yeh right! The image is the image, everybody else posted a cute pic of their breeds you posted a pic with a staff terrier looking as though it was snarling!
    You dropped a bollock posting that pic mate.

As for getting to know a non chav owned staffie, I might struggle there to be honest.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Don Simon you love your dog, fair enough.

I personally wouldn’t recommend getting one to anyone for the reasons I have mentioned.
    My sister (not a chav) had one, bloody rubbish dog, stupid, badly bred, destructive animal. It was a pain in the arse.

donsimon
    Free Member

Sorry, I didn’t realise you were there when I took the photo. That’s how powerful the image is. I know for a fact that she was sneezing or spitting something out, in fact I think it was a walnut that you might be able to see some of the shell at the bottom of the pic. This is the important bit, I know, I was there, I took the pic. You are looking at the pic and forming an opinion without having 100% of the facts. I posted the pic because I know how people will react, they can be so predictable. 😀

As for getting to know a non chav owned staffie, I might struggle there to be honest.

That’s a shame.

dunsapie
    Free Member

Rochey, a retired greyhound is worth considering. You can get quite small ones (mainly bitches), many have been fostered so have been checked out for their prey drive and are house trained. I had a large male ex-racer (Powderhall) dog weighing in at 35kg, had no problems with him in a flat, just slept on a couch most of the time. Lost him to heart failure which is not common in the breed.
    Now have a minature dachshund, great little dog, very vocal, good breeding but 2 ruptured discs within 3 months. Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD) is common in the breed so should be considered. The dachshund is more work than the greyhound was.

samuri
    Free Member

Got to agree with the captain, cavaliers are the most awesome dogs ever.

Yes, genetically you have to be careful what with the brain thing and everything but apart from that, they are freaking brilliant. They love being outdoors but will equally just sleep all day if you’re not there. Even when we are in the house, if you’re busy, all they need is to know you’re around. No barking, you could leave them in a room full of babies smeared in raw chicken and they’d never harm any of them.

I’ve had three now. They’ve all been fine genetically because we were careful. Ruby who we have now is just about the most beautiful dog on earth as far as I’m concerned. All she needs is to press her bottom against a humans at the end of the night. Snores quite loud mind.

beauty by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

tankslapper
    Free Member

IMHO

Cavaliers = neurotic
    Borders = untrustworthy and certainly Staffies tyhe same
    Westies: depending on breeding are the best and the only ones I would think about with my kids

GregMay
    Free Member

I want a dog now… anyone had an English Toy Terrier? They look like a little Doberman!

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Border Terrier (BT) everytime. They’re like having a big dog in a little dog’s body. If you get a bitch they tend to be quite small. Meg’s only 10″. Does prefer to be carried than walk herself. Lazy madam!

khani
    Free Member

You need a poodley man, no shedding, non allergenic, top pooch!!

We also have a staffie and he’s top as well

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

We’ve got a Border, but I probably woudn’t get another on account of stupidity and tendency to wander.

They are very portable, capable of running a long way, easy to look after at home etc. But in temperament they are more like cats, except they won’t come home.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

anything terrier related is very yappy !!!!!! my dad had 2 westies and all they did is yap yap yap all day long for years…lol

I have a Scottish Terrier that is not the least bit yappy. Very placid, almost feline in terms of how laid-back and aloof he is. Only downside to him is he can get a bit snappy with other dogs when both him and the other dog are on leads. OK if they’re not on leads.

Get a lot of random smiles from passers by taking him for walks – think there’s quite a lot of affection for the breed because of their familiar, cartoonish silhouette – even though they’re quite uncommon nowadays.

The two Westies belonging to my next door neighbour, on the other hand… 😈 What a racket. If I didn’t like dogs I’d have chucked a hand grenade over the fence by now.

Twin
    Free Member

We’ve got a few breeds of dog in the family, most of which have cropped up here already. For what its worth:
    Border Collie – Too clever for its own good, escape artist and general postman worrier, difficult to keep entertained.
    Sprocker Spaniel – Great with the kids but an absolute lunatic for exercise. Drops a lot of hair and a bit smelly too.
    Cavalier King Carles – Again great with the kids but spend half their lives at the vets with all sorts of problems (and are sooooo thick)
    Westie – Great little dogs but prone to skin and ear problems. Also need cutting every 6-8 weeks at £30 a time.
    Jack Russel (smooth coat) – Great dog. Lap dog when you want it to be, will run all day if you’re out and about. Good with the kids and other dogs and doesn’t smell. Pretty indestructible too, they don’t break easily.
    Rescue Greyhound – The most amazing dog I’ve ever known around kids, pretty happy with minimal exercise but they’re just so big.

DSC00006 by kerystwin, on Flickr

DSC00167 by kerystwin, on Flickr
    Missy and Stitch (minature Russell)

Del

be aware that cockers can be possessive.
    thought about a tibetan terrier?
    not actually terriers. seem like really nice dogs whenever i meet them.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Mini labradoodle … best of both breeds, very low moult factor, intelligence of both breeds and very self reliant.

Ours loves to run, and sleep in equal measure. Great around kids and not a barker / howler etc.

Just check hip and eye scores of parents, and the price here is pretty ridiculous considering the bitsa approach.

Inbred456
    Free Member

The good thing about Greyhounds is the way they are bred. It is for performance, speed and stamina and ultimately good health. They are not allowed to breed them within their own family lines Etc, they are not bred to a breed standard like so many dogs these days. You can check their pedigree back for several generations on the Greyhound data website. Ours is only 26kilo’s quite small for a greyhound.

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

busydog
    Free Member

+! mightymarmite
    We have 2 labradoodles and out of all the breeds I have had over 40 years, they are the best I’ve had. They are bred in small, medium and large sizes. We have a large (65 lbs) and a medium (40 lbs) and a friend has a small verstion at 25 lbs.
    Great personalities, good with kids, dogs, people in general. Exceptionally smart and easly to train. They do need exercise.
    Shed very little and don’t get that “dog” smell if you brush them regularly.
    One of ours is a first generation (F1) bred between a labrador and a standard poodle, so has a wavy, flatter coat. The other is an F2 (labradoodle bred back to a poodle) and she has a soft, curly/fleece coat and feels just like a little lamb.

busydog
    Free Member

mightymarmite—what is the cost range of labradoodles in the UK.
    THey are pricey here too, especially if you go to a good, professional breeder. You can get one from backyard breeders for $400-700, but some of the really top-bred/good bloodline breeders get $1500-2500, but they offer full medical guarantees (hips, eyes, etc)–and some will even take a dog back if something happens and an owner has to give one up due a change in life circumstances.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

We paid just under £1K for our female with ability to breed. Was at middle / upper end as we hunted around to find a breeder with the lowest possible hip scores for the Lab (ours was a combined 4) as well as healthy eyes for the mother.

Mother was a miniature black, so ours has a scruffy black coat which we clip every three months or so to keep wooly and moulting to almost nothing.

Weight sits around 12.5kg, and is very very agile. Still amuses me when she barks (very infrequent), innocent looking thing with the voice of a great dane !

Have had a range of dogs in the past, both working as well as house dogs. Had two cavaliers and both suffered from SM which was horrible to watch, as well as a jack russell who was a complete lunatic (in an entertaining way). As above the Labradoodle is a great way to get the best of two very good breeds and the best I have come across.

busydog
    Free Member

prices sound pretty comparable as we paid $1400 for the F2 female and $800 for the F1 female. We signed a spay/neuter contract as we didn’t want to breed and it cut a little off the cost on the F2.
    I have enough to do to keep up with these two without having to deal with a batch of pups (although Mrs. Busydog would love it if we had a dozen).
    If we lived in the country or on the outskirts of the city where we had 3-4 acres, I would have a couple more in a minute. Very entertaining dogs—like you said, agile, fun-loving and these two will chase tennis balls until they can’t move (never met a lab who didn’t like to fetch).

bruk

All breeds have some degree of health issues that can affect some of the breed.

The incidence of individuals affected does vary though.

LOTS of Westies have skin problems.

LOTS of Cavliers have heart problems, much fewer have the syringomyelia.

I have a Tibetan Terrier and she is great, good with the cats and child but can be a bit barky. Hair cuts are pricy though.

Staffs are great too and if brought up well can be a great family pet. I do however believe they have to be watched round other dogs. They won’t back down so if somebody elses badly behaved dog winds up your Staff then it will be your dog getting blamed for the large vet bill.

Pick what fits in with your lifestyle and get it trained and insured.

anagallis_arvensis

Our Lurcher is about 23inch to the shoulder, so about the height of a tallish lab, but she weighs less than 20kg and folds up really small. Whippet x bedlington lurchers wil be smaller. Kea is a real mix ( 3/8 greyhound, 1/4 whippet, 1/8 bedlington terrier, 1/8 boarder collie and 1/8 beared collie) but she’s lazy like a greyhound, very gentle (unless you are a rabbit, cat or fox) and doesnt care if she’s left in the garden with her kennel for 8 hours a day (although this isnt a regular thing)

Problem with Staffie’s is that most Chav’s have Staffie crosses which are much bigger, usually very people friendly dogs though, Pit Bulls, Pet Bulls and Staffies are all bred to be dog aggressive to one degree or another as they are/were fighting dogs. Always seems an odd choice for a dealer, they’d be much better off with a protection dog like a rottie, German Sheppard or Dobe.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Thinking of getting a small dog, but with one???’ is closed to new replies.