• This topic has 142 replies, 63 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • Thinking about starting online dating. Tell me your stories!
  • carag73
    Free Member

Everybody I’m thinking about getting into the online dating scene after a long sabbatical of being single and escaping a long relationship previously. What experiences do you guys have? Are there any tips and tricks you guys got up your sleeve to help me navigate the unknown Sea? I’ve only heard of a few dating websites mostly from advertisements and don’t really know too many people personally that have done it as all of my friends are already married.

PrinceJohn

Get a picture of a puppy on your Tinder profile, attract your dream woman. It worked for me.

Seriously tho, don’t take it seriously, just be normal (most people out there are apparently not normal) & just see it as a way of meeting people you might not of run into otherwise.

joshvegas
    Free Member

There was a great thread on this.

Tinder ftw.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything and everything is out there – from shagathons to bunny boilers. As above just be yourself and don’t get too sucked into it.

Plenty of dos and don’ts for profiles of course!

MSP

Avoid any woman with a picture of a cat on her profile.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Face pics taken from above mean only one thing.

Dickyboy

Been there before about 10yrs back & now happily married to someone I’ve known from before internet dating was a thing, but viewing my 25yo step daughters activity on tinder and other dating apps is another eye opener altogether 😱

Just be yerself and don’t send dick pics is a good start.

mikey3
    Free Member

Nothing is real until you meet,woman get bombarded by an amazing number of men and most start talking about sex within the first 5 mins:), and be prepared for a few of them to suddenly stop chatting and disappear into thin air when the next new shiny thing comes along.Not that I am bitter:),oh and women are mental.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah the looking down your blouse pics get the best results 🤣👍

Dont shave your chest for the “real Disco Man” look.

And go for the MonoBrow look, it’s all the rage to make you look shofistiched and glam, orange tan and lashes optional.

Post pics🤪👌🍆

rugbydick

don’t get too sucked into it

That may be what he’s hoping for…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A few mates of mine have gone through divorces and had a blast with online dating. Some settled down fairly quickly, some took a few months to play the field before settling down, but they’re all settled down again now. I was a bit envious for a short while, but I think its something that might wear a bit thin after a time…it seems to be very much a case of quantity rather than quality, so worth being a bit selective. Also if you’re a similar age to me then they all come with some form of baggage from previous relationships, so you might find a nice enough girl, but they might come with a very complicated life, so that is another angle to consider. But the best thing to do it seems is to just get yourself out there and get stuck in.

Mister-P
    Free Member

On my last Bumble adventure I was invited for a drink on Tuesday night.  This invite was sent on Saturday afternoon.  On Sunday afternoon I received a message that said “sorry, going to have to cancel Tuesday as I’ve met someone else and we are making a go of it”.  Never ever think you are their only option.  You are probably not even their best option.  I decided to get out of the game at that point and ride my bike more.  It was a good choice.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Oh and if you are not 6ft tall, lie and say you are.

jekkyl

I met this lass one time, took me two days to get the smell off my fingers..😆…####ing rank….

Another had a spot on her lips, full of yellow puss, I wasn’t kissing that.

I had another go a bit pyscho on me, bought me a blanket!! wtf. I had told it was over but she drove all the way from Cambridge way to deliver this blanket. I made sure I was out so she chucked it over the back gate. I still have it actually

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll get on fine 😆👍

tomhoward

I’ve done OK out of it, we got married a month ago.

tthew

invited for a drink on Tuesday night.  This invite was sent on Saturday afternoon.  On Sunday afternoon I received a message that said “sorry, going to have to cancel Tuesday as I’ve met someone else and we are making a go of it”.

I hate it when Craig David does that.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Avoid any called Louise.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Damn you monkeysfeet……😁

yossarian
    Free Member

Tinder = shagging

Match = relationships

1. Know your goal and use an appropriate platform

2. Nice pic of your face, nice pic of you with mates, nice pic of you doing something you enjoy

3. Be honest but fairly brief in your bio

4. Be ready for some nutters, some very lonely people and some entirely normal people

5. Enjoy it. It’s fun.

dirkpitt74

I met my wife on Match.

Been together nearly 10years and married for 6.

I also met some right weirdos before..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I met one on Love at Lycos years ago. She was a nutter but the sex was better than I’d ever imagined.

orangeorange
    Free Member

As above really-Lots of mentalists and easy sex,never take any of it very seriously, and expect to be surprised at how many crazy people are living among us so choose wisely.Prepare your self esteem for a crazy roller coaster ride,and view it as a fun thing rather than pinning hopes on meeting ‘the one’,although she will be on there somewhere.Just celebrating one year with a fab lady that I met on POF after a few months of dating crazies.            *One thing I did learn was that If you get invited to their homes then theyre definitely up for it…

nickc

Sites that are free to use are pretty much just for hook-ups really. Met my GF on Guardian Soulmates a couple of years ago. We’ve both got some horror stories!

myti
    Free Member

Filter at the profile stage. Few messages then meet quickly it’s a total waste of time messaging for ages as you may get on amazingly by message then you meet and there’s just no spark. Met my other half of 7 years on pof!

tomhoward

Tinder = shagging

Match = relationships

Conversly I got nowhere on match, but met my wife on tinder…

Met some interesting people. One girl couldn’t meet me one night (for a second date) as she had been hanging out with her ex the night before and was still sore 😳 never saw her again, oddly…

Another asked if if we could go back to mine after the drinks as she was homeless.

By far the most batshit mental one was a friend of a few of the girls at work, and not on a dating site, to my knowledge anyway. Neither I nor they speak to her anymore.

DezB
    Free Member

Tinder = shagging

Match = relationships

Either you’ve never experienced these sites/apps or they are different tinder and Match from the ones I’ve used.

I have a few rules – reject any woman with a Snapchat filter on their pics. How old are you?10? That’s a massive purge to start with.

Then avoid any woman who’s “hobby” is meeting family and friends. How bloody boring must she be if thats a hobby?

Dump all those who say they “love to laugh”. Oh, there’s me loving to cry my stupid eyes out every night in misery and agony!

Avoid any profile which only has a face photo… well, unless you like surprises, of course.

Then I’m left with the normal/interesting ones.

You know nothing about them until you meet = a few I’ve got on fantastically on texts, then you meet and it’s instant hatred! 🤪

My latest rule is don’t tell them you’re a cyclist unless they are too. Women really seem to have a bee in their bonnets about cyclists… they’ll keep this hidden for a little while, then… well, they can **** off too!

I’m still single 😁

footflaps

I met my wife on Fitness Singles about 10 years ago…..

No idea if that still exists now, but met a lot of very nice and successful women on it. I guess something like if you’re still into sport in your 30s, you must be pretty motivated and organised.

crosshair
    Free Member

I met my wife on Muddymatches.com 👍🏻

I had a brief go on Match but it was hard finding country girls.

I’d already decided not to get drawn into online conversation, so when the now Mrs Crosshair contacted me the first Saturday night I was on there, I replied with my phone number and an offer of Sunday lunch the next day.

Five texts and a phone call later and we’d agreed to meet. I took my cutest Labrador along for moral support and she brought her working Cocker puppy 🤣

She walked in with wellies on and her dog whistle around her neck and we’ve been together ever since 😍

GolfChick
    Free Member

Successfully met some nice people from POF but ended up getting with someone from work. Now three years later I’ll probably end up contemplating online dating again in order to find someone outside of my normal circles. I’ll either go POF again or follow recommendations from friends for Match being a better service and experience with it being paid for. I think it’s the same as anything, be sensible and realistic and you’ll be fine. It’s very much a womens market and they will have a few people messaging them at once. I like to think I’m the exception to the rule though and I go on to meet someone nice, not be a complete sl@g!

russl
    Free Member

I joined POF, went on one date, still together 7 years later, mortgage, a toddler the lot!!!!

rene59
    Free Member

Hang on for a bit longer, the first of those real doll sex robot things are starting to ship…

johndrummer
    Free Member

Thanks be to all the gods in Valhalla that I met mrs_d before the internet. I wouldn’t have a clue where to start now

antennae
    Free Member

Tinder = shagging

Match = relationships

Just wanted to add to the chorus – I met both my last long-term partners on Tinder. Not just shagging.

DezB
    Free Member

Every profile I see on Tinder says “Not looking for ONS or Hook Ups” – every single one.

My last date was a tinder, she was ever so sweet, but looked 10 years older than her photos. I just couldn’t.

emsz
    Free Member

haha, love reading stuff like this. Try dating sites for gay girls…Anyway from my (limited) experience with mates on these sites

1. why are men always looking for women 10 years younger than they are, weird and more than little bit creepy

2. oh look, here’s another photo of you in outdoor clothes on top of a mountain…

3. oh, a picture of your penis? thanks,,,,

4. stop swearing (**** sake)

5. “Hi” Really, is that the best opening line you have?

6. Irony…I know, I get it, you read Roth and Ian Banks, you drink proper beer, you have a good job and you drive a nice car, but you suck at this shit, like the rest of us, you’ve failed in your one and only LTR and your wife’s just dumped you, Here you are on a dating site, please don’t treat the other half of the population with sarcasm and cynicism, prick.

7. Your not exactly a greek god either, so quit with the personal remarks.

Just sayin like…

tomhoward

Every profile I see on Tinder says “Not looking for ONS or Hook Ups” – every single one.

There are people on here that have never owned a bike…

DezB
    Free Member

Why are men always looking for women 10 years younger than they are, weird and more than little bit creepy

Why do so many of my views on Match come from 60+ year old women? That’s creepy. (I look young! I DO!)

“Hi” Really, is that the best opening line you have?

Last message from a woman in the same town as me, I might’ve been interested, but “Hello x” Yeah, cheers.

oh, a picture of your penis? thanks,

Oh, a picture of your child/dog/cat/horse? thanks. I’d rather see your .. it’d tell me more about you.

Most of the crap works both ways

IHN

Reader, I married her.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Every profile I see on Tinder says “Not looking for ONS or Hook Ups” – every single one

Hi!

Not mine DebZ….Not mine. 😉

*sends a picture of myself with my wang out,on top of a mountain in outdoor clothes and winged sandals…..’coz it’s like really f**Ing ironic.

tomhoward

1. why are men always looking for women 10 years younger than they are, weird and more than little bit creepy

My wife, whom I met on tinder, is 5 years older than me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Thinking about starting online dating. Tell me your stories!’ is closed to new replies.