Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)
  • Things you used to do in the olden days?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Ring the speaking clock.

Pore over the underwear section of a Grattan’s Catalogue.

Build dens.

Just sit and listen to music without the guilt feeling that I should be doing something else.

binners

IHN – You spend a week living with me. Believe me, a game as Scrabble is a highlight. Anyway, its stops her crying

johndoh
    Free Member

😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve another,

Go on training road rides all over Shropshire and Mid Wales without a mobile phone. In fact, without anything much other than what I carry today on rides: puncture repair kit, pump, lever.

hairylegs
    Free Member

Going to footy at 3pm on a Saturday and paying a couple of quid at the turnstile.

and buy a Golden Goal, a Pukka Pie and cup of Bovril at Half time, and a copy of the Pink (or Green, depending or where you lived) sports paper to get the day’s other results

Cougar

I used to create nostalgia threads on web forums. Of course back then we called them bulletin boards,

I’m logged into a bulletin board right now.

A couple of times a year I get some nookie with a woman I married.

Same here.

You have a lovely house, by the way.

perchypanther
    Free Member

He’s been wondering where those Thundercats underpants came from.

Now he knows.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Not waiting 24 hrs to receive something I had bought!

MrOvershoot

Sit down & talk to my wife 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Press one button to turn the radio on.

In the delightful world of convergent technology, I use my iPhone for radio in my kitchen. By the time I’ve turned on the bluetooth speaker, opened the radio app, clicked play, opened up iOS control centre and selected the speaker to Airplay the audio to, I’ve gone through 7 clicks/swipes! And that doesn’t even include unlocking the phone!

<goes on Amazon looking for old-skool radios>

molgrips
    Free Member

You can buy internet radios that work like a traditional radio but play well.. iternet radio stations.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

work like a traditional radio

You mean I can press one button and be instantly listening to the radio?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, as I understand it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Alexa…Play Radio 2 in Tune in” – No buttons

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Thanks Perchy. I did wonder whether Alexa was one solution. I assume I could get an Echo Dot and hook up to my existing speaker…

blader1611
    Free Member

I am off to buy a dvd as i cant find an illlegal download, quite looking forward to the nostalgia of that and being in HMV, not been there in well over a decade.

molgrips
    Free Member

I did wonder whether Alexa was one solution

It is. That’s why we got one.

binners

If you’ve not been in HMV for a while, then its all changed. In the olden days, it was full of CD’s. Nowadays it’s full of vinyl 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Very occasionally I’ll write a cheque, it’s usually for something like wood or coal where the merchant hasn’t the facility to do distance payments and I won’t be at home when it’s delivered so I’ll leave them a cheque. The coal merchant now puts their bank details on the invoice so the next delivery I’ll do via online bank transfer.

jon1973
    Free Member

you don’t even need to say “in Tune in”.

IHN

Rather a vastly over-engineered solution for listening to Radio 2 though, eh?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rather a vastly over-engineered solution for listening to Radio 2 though, eh

Agreed, but still less “over engineered” than this ………..

In the delightful world of convergent technology, I use my iPhone for radio in my kitchen. By the time I’ve turned on the bluetooth speaker, opened the radio app, clicked play, opened up iOS control centre and selected the speaker to Airplay the audio to, I’ve gone through 7 clicks/swipes! And that doesn’t even include unlocking the phone!

and for not much more than the cost of buying a DAB radio

IHN

a DAB radio…..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Agreed….but this is STW and we have standards.

IHN

Agreed….but this is STW and we have standards.

I thought the standard was Radio 6 Music? But you’d need a DAB radio for that or some sort of internet streaming capability 🙂

binners

perchypanther
    Free Member

“Alexa…..conduct an internet argument on my behalf while I piss off down the pub”

binners

I thought the standard was Radio 6 Music?

that’s only the graphic designers, and painter and decorators.

MrSparkle

Care.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well it’s cheap and it works, and that’s also not the only thing it does.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Check the hedges for grot mags.

Smoke weed

Drink Newcastle Brown

and, because I still live in the olden days, use this in my truck

jag61

Globalti
    not been married long then??

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

shout at my wife not to pick up the phone cos I was on the internet.

ratnips
    Free Member

Turn up at a place and time arranged without any phone calls from mobile phones.

nickewen
    Free Member

Check the oil on my wife’s car with a dip stick.. Mine doesn’t have one and is done through the computer. I prefer the old fashioned method (any excuse to open the bonnet and look at the engine).

convert

Turn up at a place and time arranged without any phone calls from mobile phones.

If find it hard to work out how that ever worked, but it did. If someone didn’t show the rest of you just had to make an assumption about if they ever would and let them suffer for being rubbish at time keeping.

Writing essays or reports without the aid of google or wikipedia using actual books to find stuff out.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Send and receive personal e-mails, and wait for a reply because not everyone, in fact very few people had the internet at home then.

DezB
    Free Member

…do you occasionally indulge yourself in?

I think a few people missed (ignored) this bit. It would certainly be fruitless searching bushes for hedgepron these days. And good luck with the speaking clock – I can’t even remember the number.

I used to always listen to music in the car on these lovely little things –

Occasionally dig one out for a listen as still have a player in my hifi

jamj1974

Mr Overshoot. 🙁

Take care.

aracer
    Free Member

Well that would rule out globalti’s suggestion

Ride a bike then – I occasionally do that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Things you used to do in the olden days?’ is closed to new replies.