• This topic has 41 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by donks.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Things you don’t think about when getting a dog….
  • razorrazoo

Number 1 – turning up on the doorstep after a ‘quick walk around the block’ as more mud than dog!

Before / after picture for reference…

MoreCashThanDash

A bit like starting a relationship with a mountain biker then? 🤣

Spud

Ah, Spaniels, should be sold as ‘comes with mud, dirt and dust’ lol. Still wouldn’t be without our two.

qwerty
    Free Member

That poo bags with fresh poo in them make great hand warmers, maybe…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Outdoor mixer tap seems like a middle class luxury to a mountain biker but makes perfect sense to a dog owner.

kayak23

That all they might want to do on walks is search for poo to eat. 😐

Lionheart
    Free Member

One of best house improvements we ever made, was a hot and cold taps outside with rubber ‘over the taps’ shower attachment. Dogs and people appreciate not washing dogs down in cold water.

Top Spangle there!

toby1

That all they might want to do on walks is search for poo to eat. 😐

Every day, every damn day, how do you police this at night in autumn when everything is a pile of leaves? Some of those piles have ‘treasure’ under them!

How it’s easier to remember other dogs names than it is the names of their owners who you inevitably see at the same time.

How many treats you need to buy when trying to train a hound!

DezB
    Free Member

Our family dog used to rub her neck in fox shit as an eu de toilette. We didn’t expect to have to clean that kind of thing up. I also remember when she was a pup her fave pooing spot was at the bottom of the stairs. Coming down in your socks in the morning provided a unique experience of squidge/slidiness.
    Didn’t expect that neeva

franksinatra

Why would a creature with a sense of smell 10,000 times more powerful than human would take delight in rolling in cat/fox/human poo?

We recently built an extension and designed in a downstairs bathroom with shower you can access directly from the garage specifically because of our dog.

OP dog looks awesome, how can you be mad at it with a face like that?

DezB
    Free Member

And my lovely dog, Hope who died last Christmas 🙁 she provided many an unexpected entertainment.
    Like the previous owner telling us she was crate trained and us coming home to find she was so stressed from being left in a crate that she’d crapped in it and done an impersonation of Taz, thus spreading it all over herself and the crate’s interior. Joys.
    Eating a whole 6 pack of iced doughnuts was quite a surprise for such a skinny beast too. Who’d a thunk she’d have such a sweet tooth.

DezB
    Free Member

Why would a creature with a sense of smell 10,000 times more powerful than human would take delight in rolling in cat/fox/human poo?

Well, it’s not only more powerful, but it’s different as well 😀

willard

I never thought I would be able to find poo bags in litterally any item of clothing that I own that has pockets. And yet, here I am, 13 years after getting my first spaniel, still finding them in jeans, jackets, suits, even my dinner jacket FFS.

Rule 1: Always have at least three poo bags before going out for a walk

GolfChick
    Free Member

Crikey did you dip him in EVERY puddle you went past just for a laugh? Like a face cloth?! Having said that I’ve often wished my dog actually enjoyed inclemental walks, at least then I’d feel justified in having to drag myself out but no she’s always looked at me as if I’m torturing her while walking three metres behind me, skirting around puddles!!

pocpoc
    Free Member

Nothing ever prepared me for the moment our toddler stood up off the potty having done number 2 and before anyone could react the Spaniel puppy was in there head first inhaling the whole thing. I have never ever understood why people let dogs lick their faces. If they’re happy to do that infront of people god knows what they get up to when we’re not looking.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You missed a bit… On the ears and head. 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Muzzles are your friend, our greyhound is in his 6 week probation (rescue) but will be keeping the muzzle after if only to stop him eating any old crap!

razorrazoo

Crikey did you dip him in EVERY puddle you went past just for a laugh?

She’s just a pup, now she’s been let off the lead priority mission is to find another dog who is happy to play chase / rolling around.  She’ll do this until smalltalk with the other owner is totally exhausted.  Has since a rather fretful bath been asleep on various sofas (in between a quick bout of. digging a hole in the lawn) so must have had a good time.

Rule 1: Always have at least three poo bags before going out for a walk

The dog owners ‘dead man’s click of the trigger’ is realising you’ve picked up the first and the bag was the last on the roll of the dispenser.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Things you don’t think about when getting a dog….

That they’ll be the first conversation you have in the morning and the last one you’ll have at night for the next decade.

PrinceJohn

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFM_uRel_2m/?igshid=1010kxg5npimx

Our one runs away if we start the hose but loves cold wet rivers…

crazy-legs

Our family dog used to rub her neck in fox shit as an eu de toilette. We didn’t expect to have to clean that kind of thing up.

I used to look after a lurcher when its owner was on holidays or away with work (quite regularly so he was very used to being with me, reasonably obedient etc) and he did that once. Big long walk in the hills and I saw him rolling round in the grass – next thing he came bounding over literally covered in fox shit.

He did not appreciate the outside cold tap washing he got back at the house although it might have had the desired effect because he didn’t do it again.

dovebiker

If you get a black dog, you won’t notice how dirty it is until it wipes itself along the wall, furniture, carpets etc.

Being precious about your car interior, clothes or house becomes a thing of the past.

If you ever get to the point of having a very old dog, you still have to deal with cleaning up after them…

To avoid the dog poo situation, train it to be ball-obsessive cos’ they can’t chow on poo with a mouthful of ball.

Dog spit will cover the insides of your car, as well as the far flung corners of your house, particularly hard to reach places like ceilings.

Drac

Gorgeous dog.

dyna-ti

Farts

I expect this is where the term “Brewdog” came from.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Lesson learned the hard way. When installing a new roll of poo bags, remove the first two and fold them up to tuck away ready for the dead man’s click.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The fact you’ll sob like a baby for weeks when you lose them. ☹️

stevious

Only 2 posts with photos? What the hell is wrong with you people?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Weird stuff they can/can’t eat – rotting, bug infested half of a deer’s leg found in the undergrowth? No problem. Minty dentastix? **** me, never again.

You don’t want photos of either.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

They will become your absolute best mate and you’ll find yourself cancelling/making excuses/leaving early from social meets just to spend time with them.

RustyNissanPrairie

How much rubbish and litter there is in your local environment once you start walking round it with a dog rather than zooming through it in car or bike.

kayak23

Not so much what WE didn’t think about, but more that Harry here didn’t think about the pain when touching an electric fence around a chicken coop with his nose.

Poor thing 😩 👃

GRAEMEJONES

They don’t stay little for very long!  ☺️

MoreCashThanDash

I expect this is where the term “Brewdog” came from.

Suddenly, a lot of things make sense…

p7eaven
    Free Member

– That they’re actually/really naughty monkeys engaged in some dog cosplay
    – How completely unlike cats they are
    – How the insurance premium climbs
    – That if you love your dog you’ll do absolutely anything for it when it needs you most.
    – That even during your most bleak and hopeless of times – you’ve always got one friend that will smile at you every morning and say ‘c’mon buddy let’s have fun today…’

stripeysocks
    Free Member

How expensive seat belts are.
    And, chewable.

Phil_H

They actually make getting up in the morning worthwhile.

Mrs Fiend

Sandwich

@Kayak23 An electric fence once caused a very expensive night in kennels. 2 belts from a cattle fence and off he went. Ripping the tag off the collar as he went. The microchip registration hadn’t processed and we paid a hefty £95 overnight fee for losing an ‘unregistered’ dog.

razorrazoo

Now asleep with a bucket on her head!

twistedpencil

Dog scarves. No-one told me about dog scarves. It might be a Spaniel thing as my parents Cairn terrier didn’t do this.

Photo taken whilst reading this thread.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

You have more pictures on your phone and social media of your dogs than your kids.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD3WWyzHTFG/?igshid=hzcpmcdukc5j

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Things you don’t think about when getting a dog….’ is closed to new replies.