Home Forums Chat Forum Things to do, places to eat and drink in Oxford.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Things to do, places to eat and drink in Oxford.
  • Bazz

Hey all, myself and Mrs Bazz are off to Oxford for a midweek break the week after next and was wondering if anyone with local knowledge could give advice on nice pubs restaurants and places to bimble around during the day. We are staying in the city centre and leaving the car at one of the park and rides so preferably within walking distance of the centre.

Thanks.

ElShalimo

This is a very nice pub next to the Thames

https://www.thepunteroxford.co.uk/

ampthill

I like the natural history museum and the pitrivers museum, in the same building. My wife likes the Ashmolean museum. The general wandering is around is great. Make sure you see the Radcliffe camera. In good weather I’d suggest punting.

DougD

Some great pubs in Oxford. The Bear serves up a decent pint. Haven’t been for quite a while but Pierre Victoire was nice for a bite to eat.

Bazz

All sounds great so far, cheers 😃

theotherjonv

Oxford’s a beautiful city, loads to see of University stuff – many colleges do tours, not sure how easy that is in the week and term time though, and then you have the central buildings like the Radcliffe Camera, etc.

For eating and drinking – I didn’t study here but had variously two mates who did, one did his PhD at Magdelen and the other his Opthalmics training at the hospital, so had plenty of opportunity to visit and enjoy. .Again, loads of historical places – sadly some of the college owned ones have closed relatively recently and been turned into accommodation or similar – Turl, Mitre both lost afaik.

Bird and Bastard (not the real name – work it out) has strong literary connections if that’s your thing, The Bear, The Turf all decent – further afield the Trout at Wovercote has Morse and Waugh connections.

What sort of people are you – just out of the centre up the Cowley Road, you leave the honey coloured architecture and enter a different world; it’s a bit ‘cleaner’ than in the 80’s and 90’s but still a ‘melting pot’ with good bars, music, independant type eating places….. not necessarily where you’d go for fine dining but might be your thing. Sadly the Jamaican Hi-Lo eating house seems to have had issues but that was a favourite – menu was ‘indicative’ priced and if the owner liked you you’d get a discounted price compared to if you’d pissed them off or looked rich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowley_Road,_Oxford

REVIEW: Been on the epic new Cowley Road Food Tour? It’s an education and we loved every minute!

timidwheeler

1. Go to the Pitt Rivers Museum.

2. Go to the Ashmolean.

3. Go to the Pitt Rivers Museum.

corroded
    Free Member

Jericho is a lovely neighbourhood to stroll around. Oxford has tonnes of great pubs and at least a couple of them are in Jericho. The Old Bookbinders has a great French restaurant attached to it. For vegetarians, there’s the Gardeners Arms. Both down quiet backstreets. I prefer these to the more touristy pubs in the centre. I’m guessing G&D’s is still doing ice cream too.
    For sightseeing, visit a couple of colleges, maybe do the Bodleian library tour and a couple of the museums. The Parks are nice to wander through towards the river. You’ll also need the Park and Ride unless your hotel has space.

jkomo

Bodrum on the Cowley road is a fantastic place to eat. It looks like just another kebab place but there are seats round the back. The lamb shish kebab is my go to. It’s not cheap, but it is ace.
    The covered market is really the only place in the shopping area worth looking at, and next door is ‘objects of use’ a shop selling great quality artisan and traditional knives, axes, pans, and loads of other bits. It’s a STWers dream shop.
    All the proper things to look at have been covered above.
    Spiced Roots on Cowley road is fantastic for a proper meal (Caribbean, not vegetarian).
    Cowley road is a nice place for a drink, the centre has little pubs tucked away and Jericho is nice for a wander as well. City centre comes across as shit so look up the pubs to visit before, or stick to Jericho/ Cowley road.
    There’s a bar/ restaurant at the top of the Ashmolean, with a great outside area, nice views.
    If you aren’t staying in the Malmaison, go and have a nose around, it’s the old prison and has retained the ‘Porridge’ layout it’s pretty ace.

DrJ

Avoid eating in college, unless you are very fond of greasy chips and slimy pies.

cannondalem500

I like the Oxford University Park (https://maps.apple.com/?address=South%20Lodge,%20South%20Parks%20Road,%20Oxford,%20OX1%203RF,%20England&auid=16592919907033681576&ll=51.761656,-1.253068&lsp=9902&q=Oxford%20University%20Parks&t=h) and Christ Church Meadow (https://maps.apple.com/?ll=51.750500,-1.251919&q=Dropped%20Pin&t=h) if you are looking for some green when you are in Oxford.

The Varsity Club (tvcoxford.co.uk) off one of the entrances to the covered market gives you nice rooftop views of Oxford. The market itself isn’t what it used to be as it’s now mainly food and coffee places. The nice butcher that used to hang deer outside is gone along with the fish monger. There’s a nice cheese stall at the back though.

If you need to park in the city then City College Oxfor on Oxpens Road does all day parking for £6 (https://maps.apple.com/?ll=51.750070,-1.264939&q=Dropped%20Pin&t=h), but it does close around 5-6pm.

If you want to eat and don’t mind heading out of town The Magdalen Arms (https://maps.apple.com/?address=243%20Iffley%20Road,%20Oxford,%20OX4%201SJ,%20England&auid=4271961081526029183&ll=51.741222,-1.236804&lsp=9902&q=The%20Magdalen%20Arms&t=h) is a good shout. Mediterranean influenced food that’s tasty.

Main tip is just to explore the streets away from the High Street and Cornmarket Street. There’s lots of interesting things to find if you wander away from the main shopping areas and noodle around in the back streets admiring the architecture.

BillMC

Bookbinder’s, Kings Arms. Pitt Rivers, pre-Raphaelite art.

alchiltern
    Free Member

Definitely explore Jericho, pubs there are generally really good and a decent Lebanese restaurant. Walton Street for Freud’s, a bar in an old chapel, but so so drinks, Raouls does excellent cocktails. Some good food there around there also.

Little Clarendon and North Parade for interesting shops, eateries and (in my view) one of the best pubs in Oxford The Rose and Crown.

Heading back into the centre from there, two nice restaurants at Gees and The old Parsonage. Lamb and Flag for a historic pub, White horse and Kings Arms also good. White rabbit for good beer and pizza.

Food with views perhaps? Have a look at the roof terrace on the Westgate centre and Roof restaurant at the Ashmolean. For something grander, the Randolph is good for afternoon tea and dinner. Gloucester Green is good for small independent restaurants of various cusines.

Can also suggest a wander from the top of Jehrico going West, over the railway, past the bottom of port meadow amd across the river to the Perch Pub, lovely place, and good food.

Seconding others, you also can’t go far wrong with a mooch round the covered market and the Cowely Road for food and there are some decent pubs tucked away between Cowley and iffley roads.

If it’s not cold, a spot of punting maybe, from the Cherwell Boathouse. Lastly. there’s a good music live scene in the city, you might find something interesting on if that’s your thing.

redsoul
    Free Member

I would echo everyone’s comments on Pitt Rivers, The Ashmolean, Covered Market, Cowley Road and Jericho.

An interesting walk along the Oxford Canal starting from Hythe Bridge Street up to Walton Well Road past some of Oxford’s industrial history at Eagle Ironworks (Eagle Ironworks, Oxford – Wikipedia ) and the canal boatyards. You can then head left over Port Meadow to the Thames and The Perch or right into Jericho, and my favourite pub, The Victoria in Jericho. More industrial history at Oxford University Press and the original Morris Garage on Longwall Street.

There are a couple of good arts cinemas: Phoenix Picture House in Jericho and Ultimate Picture Palace on Cowley Road. Free exhibitions occasionally in the Weston Library and some colleges have free entry.

petec
    Free Member

The grapes is my favourite pub in town (the beer selection is amazing). Bookbinders is good. The Punter is vegan if that’s your thing. Ended up one night in some pub that did Alice in wonderland themed karaoke, which was odd.

Always love Pierre Victoire for that little bistro vibe. #1 ship street is lovely but pricier. Arbequina is superb for tapas.

If you want a hidden view of the gleaming spires at night, go to the varsity club bar, and the terrace on the top. One shop I like for that pointless thing you never knew you needed is “objects of use”. And it is just nice strolling around picking up the vibe. And obv the museums mentioned above

ElShalimo

We had a lovely meal in Beirut up near the hospital last year

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.